2013 Bamfield Tuna Shootout

so....Jeff...thanks for ruining me!
My brother-in-law called me a few days ago asking me to crew for him in the chum derby...but it is SOOO difficult to get excited about that derby after having caught some albacore!
I am one spoiled dude now ;-)

Best wishes and be safe everyone.

Smiley

I went to Barkley Canyon and was into fish right away. Managed to land 11 in 3 hours by myself

Did you want me to grab Stelmack and head over to help you out Ken? Poor guy shouldn't have to do all that work by yer self. It's like having to pull a moose out of the bush by yerself !! You can do it but it way easier with help .LOL

Most boats ended up with 10-30 fish yesterday. Freedom 22 took the lead with a 30 lber and 110 lb aggregate. Some boats overnighted and some tried to head out this morn but it was really snotty with short confused seas.

So who won the Derby? I cant imagine anyone is going out tomorrow in that water...Looks like a good day to nurse a hangover.

Derby is closed tomorrow. Freedom 22 won with the largest fish and aggregate, second goes to the boys from big coast and third to "Willeys rig"! Awesome derby with catches ranging from 8 to 56 fish per day per boat. Awards are tomorrow eve, wrap up party at mills tonight!

The Freedom boys hung on for the win, I thought some larger quality fish may have been found with hat many boats out. This was an awesome time...thanks to the BCTOUGH boys for hosting such a high quality event...I will post later on my albacore experience...

Is everyone to hungover to post? 50 boats and no reports?

What happens in bamtown stays in bamtown.

Haa haaaa...Yup... :) just got back...very cool and the guys did a really great job.. I'm in for next year already... Pretty sure the boys will be posting pics tomorrow.

I can say Freedom 22 was first, Big Coast #2 and Willies Rig 3rd..... :)

Just got back to the city-a fun but exhausting trip to Bamtown & thence offshore.Pics tomorrow sometime.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me know if you are in.....I'm working on a place to stay where we need 3 boats to make it work...... :)

should be good for some good giggles... Shaun should let them know so they can hold a spot for you in the shoot out...first come first serve for boats... :)

Ill put together a big write up when I get a chance. Sorry to anyone who's been trying to contact me, the whole no Internet or cell coverage over there makes things tough. We will try to get the prizes mailed out to the crews who weren't there for the awards but it might take some time. I had to run back to school this morning and Jeff/Jon are headed back to work.

We took hundreds of pics and I know some other crews did as well. If anyone wants to share theirs we are going to make a big album with all the shots from the shootout so that people can access them all. Ill write up a day by day report this week, I know a few others have some to post up as well. Now that the derby is done we might as well start a recap/report in the saltwater section as a lot of people couldn't find this thread.

Ps thanks Chad, it was awesome having you hardy boys out!

Back