2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

Thanks for the response... I was in the small blue Prince Craft beside you. Hope I didn't get in your way as I was on the inside. I decided to call it a night and let you have at it as we were not having any luck. I'm thinking of taking the 20' aluminium out off the Fraser on Saturday. With the reports I'm reading I'm not sure if it will be worth it.

Rob,

The Grady White (myself) got nothing during the 40 minute spin at the Cap other than 1 hit on a spoon at 19 ft. that didn't stick. I had spent a little over an hour at the Bell Buoy just before that with the same outcome ... one hit at 65 ft. on an anchovy when I first dropped the lines (right at the tide change).

All in all, a perfect night to be on the water though.

While I was putting her away my left down rigger ball ,then my right down rigger ball got hooked up on something. One was at 59 ft and the other at 89ft.
I was in a bind as all I could do is shut off the kicker in hopes of not catching it on the leg of the kicker.

I had a very similar experience in that area 2 years ago - was fishing way off the bottom and suddenly hung up and lost my gear. Wonder what is hiding down there - maybe some kind of wire of something? Would think that anything bigger would show up on the sounder?

I had a very similar experience in that area 2 years ago - was fishing way off the bottom and suddenly hung up and lost my gear. Wonder what is hiding down there - maybe some kind of wire of something? Would think that anything bigger would show up on the sounder?

Heard from a few guys might be a commercial prawn CABLE sure seemed like it as it got both sides , balls, flashers and hooks . Expensive fishing eh !

Some crabbers use cable between their traps now too...

if you mean commercial crabbers , then your very wrong and dont know what your talking about.
none on the entire coast will use CABLE between traps. EVER !!!!
they use a sinking ground line .
maybe as they set , they run across a sport trap bouy and that would then hold his ground line up on the bottom , thus becoming a hazard for anyone trolling over it.

WOW, now that's quite the response!

Take it up with the folks at redden net and twine that showed me what they sell them, if the info they gave me is wrong, then I am wrong, my apologies...

if you mean commercial crabbers , then your very wrong and dont know what your talking about.
none on the entire coast will use CABLE between traps. EVER !!!!
they use a sinking ground line .
maybe as they set , they run across a sport trap bouy and that would then hold his ground line up on the bottom , thus becoming a hazard for anyone trolling over it.

Heard from a few guys might be a commercial prawn CABLE sure seemed like it as it got both sides , balls, flashers and hooks . Expensive fishing eh !

Not too many commercial prawners in that shallow in the sand I would think? I am betting dimes to donuts that it is crab gear if it is gear at all...

Getbent

hung up

When u hang up on bottom , a quick reaction to put boat in neutral and or even back up if in tide ,whilst quickly bringing gear up will save u $ and gear.
When I was commercial trolling if we started to bang and bounce on bottom we sped up fast to lift gear but if it was a true all out hang up , best to stop and even reverse a bit and get gear in as fast as possible. dont worry about line tangles just cut it and throw in boat and re-tie later , just salvage quickly.

Really don't give a sh%& who's line it is , its just not right to get Hung up on f line at 48 ft in 200+ feet of water with no floats or indication around. And don't tell me it was something under the water line floating .
I was there and who ever is responsible should suck it up and get a brain.

Really don't give a sh%& who's line it is , its just not right to get Hung up on f line at 48 ft in 200+ feet of water with no floats or indication around. And don't tell me it was something under the water line floating .
I was there and who ever is responsible should suck it up and get a brain.

We always seem toget the sh$$y end of the stick, the commie crabbers puposely put their traps around T-10 in a manner that makes it tough to fish. :mad:

Tsawassen/Coal Port

Went out on Sunday, Dropped the crab traps and started trolling from the Ferry slip to the coal docs and back. Put down an anchovy on one side and caught a shark before I even set the drag. Same thing repeated so decided not to fish bait. Fished a White hoochie behind a Green hot spot. Other side fished with a green uv flasher and a green silver coyote spoon. Also tried a small white hoochie off the back with a red hot spot. Caught two more sharks and one shaker. That was it for about 3-4 hrs of working the area. Pulled up the traps and got our limits of crab anyways. It was a bit choppy out there, southerly wind was blowing pretty good.

Went out on Sunday, Dropped the crab traps and started trolling from the Ferry slip to the coal docs and back. Put down an anchovy on one side and caught a shark before I even set the drag. Same thing repeated so decided not to fish bait. Fished a White hoochie behind a Green hot spot. Other side fished with a green uv flasher and a green silver coyote spoon. Also tried a small white hoochie off the back with a red hot spot. Caught two more sharks and one shaker. That was it for about 3-4 hrs of working the area. Pulled up the traps and got our limits of crab anyways. It was a bit choppy out there, southerly wind was blowing pretty good.

Was there myself and trolled to the north several miles, crazy number of doggies in there....even trolling at Coho Speed fast! You can only imagine what it looks like in the deep when you're getting them on plastic as well.

purposely?

We always seem toget the sh$$y end of the stick, the commie crabbers puposely put their traps around T-10 in a manner that makes it tough to fish. :mad:

Yes Blackmax , they have so much time trying to be commie,s that they dont want to be capitalists...
so they purposely try to *** you up by setting at T-10 , .........:D
shaking my head:mad:

When u hang up on bottom , a quick reaction to put boat in neutral and or even back up if in tide ,whilst quickly bringing gear up will save u $ and gear.

This could work if you haven't already passed to far over the obstruction in the water. I've lost balls and we even broke a downrigger base trying to retrieve the gear with the rigger. The best course of action I found when hanging up is to put the boat in nuetral and release the downrigger ball to the bottom. Your main line will pop off the clip and the ball should rest on bottom (deepending on depth).....leave the downrigger in the release position as the boat drifting will contiue to pull out downrigger cable...once doing that we back up over the obstruction, using the green scotty button to bring it up in short intervals....removing the slack little by little. Once the downrigger cable is heading 90 degrees straigt down from the boat, you will be able to bring the ball up safely. I have yet to lose gear using this method but have 1 out of 2 times lost gear by quickly bringing it up once you know you've hung up. It works sometimes but you are likley asking for more trouble.

Anywhoo thats my method and it proves successful 9 out of 10 times (though I try to not hang up that much!)

This could work if you haven't already passed to far over the obstruction in the water. I've lost balls and we even broke a downrigger base trying to retrieve the gear with the rigger. The best course of action I found when hanging up is to put the boat in nuetral and release the downrigger ball to the bottom. Your main line will pop off the clip and the ball should rest on bottom (deepending on depth).....leave the downrigger in the release position as the boat drifting will contiue to pull out downrigger cable...once doing that we back up over the obstruction, using the green scotty button to bring it up in short intervals....removing the slack little by little. Once the downrigger cable is heading 90 degrees straigt down from the boat, you will be able to bring the ball up safely. I have yet to lose gear using this method but have 1 out of 2 times lost gear by quickly bringing it up once you know you've hung up. It works sometimes but you are likley asking for more trouble.

Anywhoo thats my method and it proves successful 9 out of 10 times (though I try to not hang up that much!)

and your able to do this when your the only one on the boat

REPORTS!!! Sounds like you guys should start a new thread:mad:

I'm heading out nice and early Friday morning. Probably try South Bowen, then maybe the harbor/capilano area and see what happening. Anybody else gonna be out there?

Tulameen, the only action I have heard of recently is the "hole in the wall" just north of sewells marina (ferry docks). You might want to consider that. Biggest problem there is the seals. If you have one following you, cut infront of someone else to shake it...lol just kidding folks....I didn't say that out loud did I? haha

I'm heading out nice and early Friday morning. Probably try South Bowen, then maybe the harbor/capilano area and see what happening. Anybody else gonna be out there?

Back