2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

Peahead,
out of the 4 we boated last monday 2 were reds and 2 were whites off the T-10
but I havent been out too much lately so thats all I can offer
Tim

Gonna be out for a few hours tomorrow morning around the Bell Buoy/QA. Can't wander down south too far as have to be back in by about noon.

coast guard

Folks........ Kits Coast Guard support rally at 1 pm Saturday. This might save someones life. Would be great to see some representation from those of you on the Vancouver thread.

http://psacbc.com/think-public/events/sos-kitsilano-coast-guard-rally-save-kits-station

The Coast Guard in my opinon and are a system out of control with too many regulations and very expensive $$$$$$ to keep them going.
My inlaw was outbound and hit a reef near Victoria a few years back. Large commercial troller , he could nearly see victoria coast guard station.
He called coast guard , told them he was sinking and asked for a pump.
They said they dont loan/rent pumps anymore but if they were in danger they would come and get them off the sinking boat.
A few minutes later a helicoptor from Port Angeles USA ,flew over and lowered them a pump , they were able to get to Sooke shipyard and save the boat and thier season.
The Cape Rouge turned upside down near Sandheads , people were heard tapping and screaming inside , but the coast guard would not let the divers go in ,
NOT IN THE RULE BOOK. So a whole family , including kids drowned while they sat and watched.
We now have the vancouver harbour patrol , Harbour police , RCMP marine police , Vancouver City marine Police , Coast guard and some volunteers.
I think its time for all of them to sit down and get ONE organization to patrol and gurad and save lives.
What we have now does not work and costs are crazy. Just sit and think how much it cost to keep that Kits float and office staff and boats and crew and pensions 24 hrs a day?
Maybe its worth it if they would actually do a proper job. Its funny how since the axe fell they are patolling all over the place now.
I dont have the answer , maybe privatize it , but its not a working Coast Guard anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can assure you that for every negative story you find re the Coast Guard, there are plenty of other people, including me, that will give you positive ones where they have helped out. I spend a lot of time in Juan de Fuca Straight and have seen first hand the CG's work. I don't disagree with improving their efficiencies as every organization needs to keep operations lean use funding wisely. I just can't imagine why the busiest Canadian port in the West can't sustain a Coast Guard presence. Those agencies you note, don't do what the Coast Guard is intended to do. Just one mans view, I respect your opinion.

Back to fishing >>>>> i,m outta town and back in a couple days and look forward to landing on a few BIG springs , so am awaiting your lucky reports.
tight lines boys and girls.
Anyone using the Brad's bait locker lures ?
We have had good luck with them , we use small piece of pilcher / sardine , lots of smelly oil.

Yeh , they have fantastic action without having to dick around with them.... got the good smell/scent thing happening as you can be the chef ....and can be trolled fast to keep the bow wow's away.
everytime we pull the gear there is something on them , unfortuantely lots of shakers , but at least there are catching and fishing.
i have only the large ones , but Dave Steel says the smaller ones work better around here. So , i guess the wallet comes out again. ;)

what do you think...t10's or red can for Sat? I seem to pick the wrong spot opposite of the bite each time.

I hear you Mikeyman it's always a crapshoot. Three options tomorrow, the bell bouy early for the low tide, head down to T10 or hit the pink apartments and west early for cohos and hope to find some springs after.

I'm going out tomorrow too and will probably decide right at the at the north arm mouth. Flip a coin. You see epic days like giddyup had at T10 a few back and then next time a whole lot of shakers.

Good luck. wish me the same!

That is the question...right or left out of the north arm...hmmmmm...might see you out there I will be in a 17' k&c, good luck. Oh and I was wondering also what channel on the vhf guys are on?...haven't tried turning on for awhile.

t
That is the question...right or left out of the north arm...hmmmmm...might see you out there I will be in a 17' k&c, good luck. Oh and I was wondering also what channel on the vhf guys are on?...haven't tried turning on for awhile.

are you launching at MacDonald? We'll probably be opening the gate, early is best. We'll be in a 21' North River. Same as my my avatar. Most of the chat is on 88a.

Hope you nail a big one!

Cheers,
Harry

Mikeyman
monitor channel 88, and I just heard within the last hour that the orcas are still hanging around there so bell or west van ho's might be your best bet
Good luck,
I wont be back out till monday I'm thinking
Tim

Probably a good idea,
hit west van at daybreak for some coho too
Tim

yup, but i just hate not taking that first light shot at a spring at the bell got one in 5 minutes last weekend and nothing after. It's going to be real tough driving by.

coho bite should last from first light till 10-11ish so give the bell ashot if ya like

Was talking to a few experienced commercial guys and they told " if the Black Fish (Orcas) are out you wont find a salmon for miles, they scare the hell out of the salmon and they will hit the shallow water or will just shoot up the rivers ".

Dont know how true it is but it sure sounds like what happened from last sunday / mondays action to a absolute dead day on tuesday.

I love to see the Orcas like everyone else but maybe later in the year like December LOL.

See you all out on the water tues or wed, good luck and look forward to hearing about all the big catches this weekend, go get'em boys ! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Back