2009-Barkley-Bamfield-Poett Nook Fish Reports

My group of 5 boats have cancelled plans for the sound this weekend after reading all poor reports.
Then yesterday at FC 3 different guys tell me that they and people they know slayed everything on the weekend, all from the surfline out to Rat's?
Perhaps the sound is slow but offshore is still good?
My best fishing every season is late Sept at 7 mile, there are still monsters lurking deep then.
Smiley.

News from yesterday:
Wya Point (and area) and the Lighhthouse Bank are firing up. Fish appear to be the "Bronze-Back" Barkely springs on their way home. That ain't too far off, and with the impending rain about to splash us, there is real cause for hope that they may yet show in time to save the Derby...

Cheers,
Nog

quote:Originally posted by IronNoggin

News from yesterday:
Wya Point (and area) and the Lighhthouse Bank are firing up. Fish appear to be the "Bronze-Back" Barkely springs on their way home. That ain't too far off, and with the impending rain about to splash us, there is real cause for hope that they may yet show in time to save the Derby...

Cheers,
Nog

I've fished Wya Point many times, and I've been fishing Ukee for years, so I feel silly asking: Where is the "Lighthouse Bank"?

Thanks!

http://www.salmonboats.ca/fishing-boats-for-rent/ - Premium North River and Boston Whaler Rental Fishing Boats

quote:Originally posted by teamchachi

...Where is the "Lighthouse Bank"?

The end of the South Bank in front of Ukee that sits across from the Lighthouse.

Another report just in now: Assits and Pill had a fairly good showing yesterday morning. Still room for hope!! :D

Cheers,
Nog

News from yesterday:

Cheers,
Nog

I've fished Wya Point many times, and I've been fishing Ukee for years, so I feel silly asking: Where is the "Lighthouse Bank"?

Thanks!

http://www.salmonboats.ca/fishing-boats-for-rent/ - Premium North River and Boston Whaler Rental Fishing Boats

Lighthouse Bank is basically the same as Amphitrite Bank which is approximately 6 km SW of the lighthouse at Ucluelet. Locals will also also refer to the south end of Amphitrite Bank as "Inner South Bank" and the remainder as "Lighthouse Bank".

GEEZUSS...[:eek:)]

It is definately NOT dead guy's...
Might not be smokin hot like a few weeks ago , but , there still catching fish consistantly , you need to get on the water before all the warriors come out and stake a claim , there are ALOT of fisherman there now , We were only able to get out 3 times , Afternoons mostly , we still managed 14 fish in the boat , nothing huge for our team , 10 - 20 lbs , all reds , 1 white , Saturday , we had 5 Springs in the boat in short order , 11:30 til 2 @ Kirby ,Coho are getting much larger , seen a few in the high teens September 1st ,4 Daily Coho now in affect on the Inside ( Light Blue Area ) , marked or not ,4 Marked, in the Darker Blue as well. Make sure that you understand the area " Inside " , , have a look ,a few out there were a little confused on this ( hope i explained it right , lol .. )Correct me if I'm wrong !!....Teamchachi has a more detailed DFO link just before this post.. Most fish are being caught near the surf , 50 - 100 feet worked for us , anchovies 7 feet behind greens ,various spoons, Purple haze and white rubber as well. Off shore , I heard has slowed , from the guides , but , they still were managing alot of Larger Coho and limits of Hali's, may have changed since this report ,Algae bloom should be coming to an end soon , the surf was quite clear , Pill however, Eek , Pudding. There is no need to start canceling trips , there are still alot of fish moving in , Monday alot of the Guides and locals did very well , Inshore .. Get out there ..

Jeff , Finally , would have loved to got out there with ya , as I told you , I had a GONG SHOW to deal with , Nice chattin,,,meeting your wife , Very nice place @ Mills Landing , may see ya one more time before seasons end , Heading over to Cabo for the delayed Swine Flu Wedding ,and some rod bendin of couse ..[:eek:)] .. CHILLED , next time , lol ..
Rob , Pnt , Duncan , Bamfield , drop me a line , nice meeting you guy's

see ya all soon , Cheers...FD...;)

Coho Boundary , plus area 23 map

area23.jpg

Coho Boundary ( not the best quality , light blue = Wild or Hatchery )

Camp.jpg

IMG_3509.jpg

...Where is the "Lighthouse Bank"?

The end of the South Bank in front of Ukee that sits across from the Lighthouse.

Another report just in now: Assits and Pill had a fairly good showing yesterday morning. Still room for hope!! :D

Cheers,
Nog

Thanks! I kind of assumed you meant South Bank 6 miles off Amphitrite point. Everybody seems to have a different name for things out there.

We had 3 boats out from Friday to Monday. Our anual trip. this was the slowest year for us out of 5 years.
Friday we fished Pill and got 5 - largest of the weekend was a 20 caught on a plug top line.
Sat was bad - 2 springs - fished Pill.
Sun decided to fish further out - started at Swale and trolled to Effingham. Hit a few on the way during the tide change. Lost a bigger one again on a plug near the boat. Effingham was on fire in the afternoon. We got 14 in 3 hours.
Went back Monday for more and hardly a sniff. Only 2 springs for 3 boats.
We never heard of a fish more than arond 20 caught inside. Very slow - you have to find the fish. I think we got lucky.
Water was clearing up Monday.
First time in a long time the green/white coyote didn't work.
We caught fish on anchovy, batrix, white hoochie, plugs.
Fished from 120ft to top lines at 25ft. 80-50 was probably the most productive.
Hope this rain coming on the weekend brings them inside.

Fished monday, tuesday and wednesday around Pill, Diplock, Sanford, Swale, Whittlestone and the Wall. Got two coho (14 & 9) and 4 springs, none of them large. The only large spring I had on broke the line and took off with my flasher. [B)]

Most of the fish were 50'-70' deep, and the combination of army truck hootchie with green flasher worked best for me. Most of the action took place in Pill and the Wall.

Most people I talked to did not catch many fish, either. In general, it was very slow inshore.

And to make things worse, it seems that the mackerel are back (I hooked two).

Fished yesterday offshore at Swiftsure and she was hot, lot's of big coho and millions of pinks...humpy's, birds, the whole show on oil-slick like conditions. Caught a 7.5lb pink and 6 coho over 15 lbs, of course the biggest one's were wild but we got all we needed. The fish are packed with food right now. Springs were there, we got a couple, biggest was 27 along the shoreline near Nitinat, whata bunch of freaks that fish there...those guys think they own the place.
Some springs came in yesterday from Beale and the Wall, biggest was 41, still spotty though. I bet with this rain we're having right now on the coast springs are going to be hitting the sound and the canal pretty quick. Patience, they'll be here soon.

-millsy

Any updates on the sound? Heading to Ukee on Tuesday and the wave/wind forecast isn't looking promising for South Bank (or further out). Wondering if anything is happening in the sound right now?

Thanks!

Any suggestions on where to fish?

I too am heading out Ukee, Tofino or Port Albernie Tues for the week.

I've a small 14' Whaler so with the forcast and boat I'll be inside.
Any suggestions on where to go and what to use would be appreciated.
I'm an old ski bum coming down from the mountains to the ocean.
Trout I can catch, but your big game eludes me.
Thanks in advance for your comments.
Eric

quote:Originally posted by eric80

Any suggestions on where to fish?

I too am heading out Ukee, Tofino or Port Albernie Tues for the week.

I've a small 14' Whaler so with the forcast and boat I'll be inside.
Any suggestions on where to go and what to use would be appreciated.
I'm an old ski bum coming down from the mountains to the ocean.
Trout I can catch, but your big game eludes me.
Thanks in advance for your comments.
Eric

Steer clear of Ukee with that boat. The wave forecast isn't pretty and you're going to want to stay deep in the protected areas of the sound. I'd be heading to Pill Point if I were you. You can't go wrong with anchovies or Coyote spoons. Drop by Gone Fish'n in Port Alberni and they'll point you in the right direction.

Going to pill point in a 14 ft open boat might not be a good idea. The wind coming back could be bad if the sun comes back.Stay close to port alberni . How experienced are you. Do you have a extra motor etc.

I surely would be looking at the weather? But, I would be looking at launching at Poett Nook? I think you can still do that, right? Might want to call or actually PM "Fog Ducker", if no one else knows!

The run from Poett to Pill should be fine, I am thinking? That's fairly protect, but have to agree, the Alberni Inlet can get snotty with the winds, with a 14 foot boat!

Heading to Bamfierld and staying at Seabeam from the 15th to 18th.
Never stayed in Bamfield before. Always stayed at Kildonan when up in Barkley Sound.
Any info on Seabeam? We will have 5 or 6 boats and about 18 very well behaved firefighters(I hope they all are good!) staying there.
If you are in the neighbourhood ,drop by for a pop after supper. We'll probably be on the water most of the day unless its limiting out or really boring.

IAFF Local #18 (Vancouver Fire Rescue)

Hey Fellas
Like Charlie said , Poett Nook (http://www.poettnook.com/welcome.html)Camp phone # 1-250-720-9572, Andrew , Pill is a much more protected run from here ,if you think that's where ya should be ? The Derby reports may varify this , also accessible to several local protected fishing marks , I was amazed on how many smaller boats were doing quite well this season , first light is almost alway's flat , this time of the year , " Usually " will start to see the whole area , Yankee , right up to Bamfield , start seeing greater numbers of Coho , "Large " ya never know , we sometimes start our troll right outta the Nooke , lol ,Great Base Camp for Smaller Vessels.Hope this helps your decission , take care...FD..;)

Our Crew will be there from Sept 11th - 14 th , drop bye..fd

IMG_3509.jpg

quote:Originally posted by abbyfireguy

Heading to Bamfierld and staying at Seabeam from the 15th to 18th.
Never stayed in Bamfield before. Always stayed at Kildonan when up in Barkley Sound.
Any info on Seabeam? We will have 5 or 6 boats and about 18 very well behaved firefighters(I hope they all are good!) staying there.
If you are in the neighbourhood ,drop by for a pop after supper. We'll probably be on the water most of the day unless its limiting out or really boring.

IAFF Local #18 (Vancouver Fire Rescue)

Was at the "beam" last week, good folks running the show, great for a large group (we had 15), not fancy but has everything you need, you may have to raft boats if there are other boats there. Nice and close to Kirby, Whittlestone, Cape Beale, Kelp Bay, The Wall etc etc. Have fun!

Back