2008 fishing

I have been out quite a bit this year. Have done ok but have had some skunkola days that is for sure. Most of my fish have been caught in Renfrew this year. It definitely has been slow that is for sure for the amount I fish. You would think 1 fish per trip. Not a chance it is tough out there. But it will come. All the Renfrew fish are coming down soon I hope.

cby

Fishing is certainly reminescent of 2005 where all the fish stayed offshore and fishing was poor. This year it again appears as if the fish are REALLY late.
We were practically busted at Nootka getting only 7 fish in 9 hard days of fishing.
The average angler nowadays has practically no chance to catch a fish and its only those lucky few who get out LOTS that have much of a chance at all.
Unfortunatley, I concur that this is a sign of the times to come and in fact I believe it will probably get worse. Our only savior might be the proposed commercial reduction or 15% (Alaska) and 30% (B.C.) which would allow more fish us.

This is how it looks for Salmon on the Jalopy this year.

Sooke trips 4, with 0 bites
Renfrew trips 2, with 15 hits, 9 to the boat and 6 keepers

"Go west young man."

The sad truth is that the creel survey's are recording the consistent skunks at the local Sooke, Victoria marina's. My big concern is that closures are all to near in the not so distant future if this keeps going. I only saw one boat at the Head yesterday and a few at Secretary. Ghost town out there.[xx(]

www.tailspincharters.com

Fishing out of Ukee has been more than reasonably good for the last 3 weeks and change. Of course I'm being rather careful how many I tag myself until later in the fall, but have tagged out nearly each and every guest on springs each time we head out. The majority that we've seen thus far have been "feeders" ranging from 10 through 25 pounds. But there have been a handful of 30-plussers taken in the last little while. Last year, we were indeed into a great many more mature fish by this time, so it does appear that they are somewhat late in their arrival timing.

So, we continue to hope for a better showing of the Biggies. Numbers may be off somewhat this year, but from all indications with the number of feeders out there, the future may hold some surprisingly good returns.

Cheers,
Nog

Well, you know that only 20% of anglers catch 80% of the fish. Now look back - who caught the most fish over the last few years? Yeah, Wolf is lost in space somewhere and nowhere to be heard here, Last Chance is practically living on Swiftsure these days and has abandoned us in Victoria and Sooke, bananas is seeking his fortune and livelihood in the wild west between Carmanah and Nitinat, Tailspin is rather distracted from painting babyrooms and learning how to change diapers... What do you expect from us amateurs? To fill those shoes? Unlikely. Let's drink beer and play poker![}:)]

Ha ha, very funny post 'chris73'...and accurate. Looking at this thread, the Nootka and Port Renfrew thread, it seems to me that those who have the big boats to head offshore are getting into most of the fish.

Just for info......The lodges on the Charlottes are sending clients home with less than limits..very slow for area F troll fleet ( Charlottes, Central Coast) where catches of 10 to 20 chinook are good, Central Coast and Mid WCVI are fishing hard for reduced catches...we are not doing so badly here!

The Swiftsure Bank Salmon catch has not been strong lately for sure...I was at Logan out of Renfrew on monady, and almost the whole guide fleet was there looking for chinook.

The reason many chinook are in the low to high teens is that the 4 / 5 year olds are low in number this year.

Don't let Dr. Hook fool you, he caught two nice ones on Tuesday on the "beach" at Renfrew...we are doing as well or better than anyone this year.

Three teeth marks on the tidal and one on the freshy as well as sockies on the fraser from last night

Gotta work the water, the "easy" days of tossing out an anchovy and drinking beer may be over.
Due to high gas costs I've stuck around the cowichan/maple bay area and done reasonable- certainly better than the Sooke reports I've been reading.
Unfortunately, we're now closed up here for springs.

There's 2 springs on the licence from about 8 days of trolling anchovies around the Trap Shack this year...August has to get better!

Howdy,

Ashamed to say I haven't even got my boat wet this year.
Too busy with all the stuff that keeps me off the water...

But all that is going to change this weekend.

Unbeknownst to all of you, the reason Spring fishing has been so slow of late is because all the fish are holed-up in a huge depression out in the middle of the Juan de Fucca, waiting patiently till 'The Hawk' gets out on the water.

It will be then - Gentlemen - that ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE and there'l be fish-a-plenty for all.

God, what a big-headed ******* I am eh.

Good Luck to all!

Terry

So I get it now Terry ,we've just been catching the scouts.Although I was thinking about it last night and a couple of my highline friends have been doing really well.So what Chris 73 said,is pretty much true.Dan

Back