20 foot Double Eagle

Oceanmaster

I am about to embark on a 20 foot DE hard top redo, interior, paint and pod. The question I have is how in the hell do I get the hard top off ? Any pointers would be appreciated.

What’s the plan with the hardtop. If you’re keeping it are you keeping it as is, or raising it with new windows. Looking forward to seeing your progress. Any chance of a couple pictures???

Sorry I can’t help with the hard top removal.

Oly

I will keep the hardtop as is just want to remove it then the windshield so I can prep and paint the cap. The faded DE orange has gotta go!
I’ll see what I can do for pix, not too tech savvy.

If you have sliding side windows you should be able to lift and remove at least one of them.For all the others you'll have to remove the rubber and the glass . There has to be fasteners in the top aluminum to the hardtop.The tricky part will be finding and replacing with new rubber,the old stuff will be old and shrunk so the corners don't meet and will leak if you try to use it. As"OLY1" mentioned ,most people find the hardtop in those boats to be way too low,you may want to consider raising it or replacing with a higher soft top.

I will keep the hardtop as is just want to remove it then the windshield so I can prep and paint the cap. The faded DE orange has gotta go!
I’ll see what I can do for pix, not too tech savvy.

Not too tech savy? Weren't you still flying commercial planes a few years ago? lol It can't of all left you in retirement....;)

You might want to contact SteelyDan on the forum here. He did a refit on a 18ft DE. Did a beautiful job

My Malibu hardtop has t-bolts that slide in a channel on the base of the side windows. The bolts dropped through the gunnel cap and nuts / washers installed from below. The windshield is screwed down from the front and the screws are covered with a rubber strip. The top was left installed to the windshield and side windows and I never separated them.

If you have sliding side windows you should be able to lift and remove at least one of them.For all the others you'll have to remove the rubber and the glass . There has to be fasteners in the top aluminum to the hardtop.The tricky part will be finding and replacing with new rubber,the old stuff will be old and shrunk so the corners don't meet and will leak if you try to use it. As"OLY1" mentioned ,most people find the hardtop in those boats to be way too low,you may want to consider raising it or replacing with a higher soft top.
Thanks for the info, I think I have to figure out how to get the top plastic runner out then I believe the top is screwed on through the window frame.

Back