2" webbing on 2.5" winch?

Fisherman Rob

Anyone know if there are any issues with using 2" webbing on a 2.5" winch? The winch is a two speed that came of a larger trailer. I'll be using it to launch a 17" DE, so no issues with the strength of the webbing. Just not sure if I'll have issues with winding it in under load. Will it wrap ok?

Anyone know if there are any issues with using 2" webbing on a 2.5" winch? The winch is a two speed that came of a larger trailer. I'll be using it to launch a 17" DE, so no issues with the strength of the webbing. Just not sure if I'll have issues with winding it in under load. Will it wrap ok?

Use the proper size the strapping can slip making your boat bounce. Doesn't matter how tight it is. I know has it happend to me and I didn't realize it.

Cheers

... making your boat bounce. Doesn't matter how tight it is.Cheers

Hi CCB, thanks for your response. Not sure if I understand what you mean by "bounce"? Do you mean when winching it in, and what was it you didn't realize?

Bounce happens when your boat is not snugged up to the winch post which is a significant point of anchor for your boat to rest n the trailer frame. Without it, the frame can then flex and the boat has a tendency to bounce with the frame flex. if the strap slips (since it is smaller than the winch drum) it will allow slack in the strap and the boat will not be snug to the post. Do the right thing, get the right size strap for the winch. Princess auto has them really cheap and they are good quality ( I know that sounds like a contradiction in terms)

Last edited by a moderator:
My trailer has the 2 1/2" drum and came with the 2" strap. Also, if you are not careful when the boat is winched up onto the trailer the strap may get sucked into the gap. Then when you go to pull the strap out it may be problem. What I did before I bought the 2 1/2" strap, was take a piece of plywood and cut a round disk and used it as a filler.

Back