2$ to 3$ a litre gas this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't see much "relief" coming to us before the end of summer. Covid restrictions are being lifted across the continent and the travel-hungry people are looking for any opportunity to get out, whether it's air travel, road trips, etc. So, demand will keep going up. The war is raging in Ukraine and the Saudies and OPEC don't seem to be playing nicely with Biden's team so it might be a while until things settle on the supply side.
Assuming that we have the same fishing restrictions as last year, I don't think the gas prices are going to impact my fishing that much. A few local outings in late spring and summer on an EFI 4-stroke is still within the "affordability" range or at least that's what I like to think.
How is this going to impact others, assuming that we have the same fishing restrictions?

How is this going to impact others, assuming that we have the same fishing restrictions?

That is a good question. We fish out of Sooke and our summer season had both spring and fall aspects to it, so in effect we fished six months of the year and burned more fuel than now. We have been hammered with many types of restrictions, one of which is that our Chinook salmon season has been reduced to a few weeks. It now starts Aug. 1st and ends about Sept 8th, although the odd one will still come through after that. The reduction in fuel use is not strictly proportional to the length of the open season compared to the previous regulations because when you are spending $7000 to $10000 a year for operating expenses, and you only have a few weeks to fish and are only allowed one Chinook per trip, you are going to fish harder and more days in that narrow window.

We do keep the boat in the marina for a few weeks after that for Coho and try to fish the first week or so of Oct. provided the fall gales do not come early and force us to pull the boat. In what we call Coho season, we do not fish as hard or as often as we do in the few weeks of Chinook season we have left, so less fuel is burned. We also travel less distance by boat to fish than we once did because all the fishing areas to the west like Point No Point and Sheringham Point we once fished were closed by the Federal Liberals for political purposes and apparently more politically motivated closed areas are about to be forced on us. This means we will be restricted to fishing areas that are much closer to the harbour, and thus we will burn less fuel. With all these factors taken into account, my view is that even if fuel cost increases substantially, we would not have a higher annual boat fuel bill than we did a few years back. However, the increased cost of fuel will increase our cost of fishing and boating in other ways, as it will for many things.

At some point one wonders if it is worth the costs with all the politically motivated fishing restrictions. Perhaps that is the politically motivated agenda of the Federal Liberals. I suspect the Federal Liberals wonder why they do not have a single Federal seat in all of coastal BC. Why would Coastal, BC vote for the Liberals, who seem determined to remove the millions of dollars that anglers contribute to the economy and the way of life in so many BC communities.

Last edited:
Each trip from the Okanagan to WCVI will be about $400 in truck gas at $2.00/l vs $300 at $1.50.
Boat gas will be $40-70 per day vs $25 -50.
I'm still planning 4 trips plus one to Vancouver for sockeyes.

It'll be interesting to see if the Ukee guides fish the red can and Wya instead of Rat's Nose.

It won’t effect how much I fish. Neither at home nor my island trips. Other than **** me off how much fuel costs it won’t bother me. To help offset some of the high gas prices on the coast I’ll have my boat near full when I leave home this way I’ll only need one top up mid week while out on the water. Last year that was a $400 top up this year I imagine it will be $500. So in the big scheme of things its not that big of deal. These trips cost the better part of $7000 or $8000 so another $300-$400 for truck fuel and boat gas isn’t the end of the world.

Will probably burn more gas this year then last year if they open up sockeye

IMO there is a lot of pent up demand to go fishing so, This year is probably going to be stinking busy everywhere

I think jigging is going to be much more popular in time. We used to successfully buzzbomb a lot in the seventies and eighties and it was a lot of fun on light rods and spinning reels. Need concentration of bait, good kelp beds and structure to attract salmon which sadly are fewer in number.

I think jigging is going to be much more popular in time. We used to successfully buzzbomb a lot in the seventies and eighties and it was a lot of fun on light rods and spinning reels. Need concentration of bait, good kelp beds and structure to attract salmon which sadly are fewer in number.
Lets not all hunker down in our bomb shelters just yet. Jigging probably burns more fuel than trolling. ever time you switch spots you have to fire up the main and move.

51935973547_a64fc70d0d_c.jpg

Canada talks 5. meaningless. The U.S. is more forthright on inflation numbers: 7.5% and over 12% on household goods. If you factor in shelter and fuel, it's 'way beyond that. Wages have moved up but have not kept pace. It's doubtful that the Central Banks will do much to curtail inflation because they can't - our economic recovery is precarious.

When borrowing, even at 5%, with inflation at 12%, it's a borrower's dream. Fuel prices are just another symptom of the economic disease we must live with: too much economic stimulus so too much cash chasing fewer goods. Cutting taxes only adds fuel to the out-of-control fire that we already have.

Just wait until its $10/L. Would you still have a gas powered vehicle? For me a boat... yes, an automobile not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back