1996 Johnson Ocean Runner

Paul Burak

I'am thinking of buying a boat with a 1996 150 HP Johnson Ocean Runner on it. Has anyone heard good or bad things about this motor

I have a 96 evinrude 90, 60 degree v4 looped charged. It is a smaller block but similiar design and was one of the last carb models before the ficht came out. This motor starts cold right away, runs flawless and gets reasonable mileage. As long as the motor is tight and has been maintained, these are very solid motors. From what I gather they made both the 60 degree loop charged and 90 degree cross flow in that year and the loop charge is better fuel economy.

just my $0.02

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/002939.html

Whatever you do, do not buy this outboard if it has FICHT technology. It is plagued with problems - so much it bankrupt the company trying to repair them all!

I had a 1998 90HP Johnson Ocean Runner 60degree V4 motor, beautiful outboard, bought it brand new, never had any problems what-so-ever, but doing my research, I remember I was not to get the FICHT technology, nothing but problems with those, I remember hearing everyone's advice on that too! Otherwise, you've got a good solid motor. Sounds like it's about 11 years old now, so check out the hours, maybe have it checked out? Good luck!

Back