120 mercruiser leg

crash

I have on old, old, old '76 120 mercruiser, the motor won't quit, but the leg is dwindling. I have a gear mesh problem when shifting. I can't adjust the shift cable enough to prevent grinding into gear. If I adjust the cable to prevent grinding into forward, it then grinds into reverse. And visa versa.
Has anyone else run into this?

I likely have the same leg with a 140. Try turning down the idle on your carb. Lower RPM = easier shifting. If it has an automatic choke you'll have trouble shifting in cooler weather.

Hi, it seems that there are a lot of little problems all ending up with what you got. Bearings in good shape? Thrust washers limiting your end play might be worn a few thou. Bearing bosses doing thier job? Shafts worn a few thou. causing binding when shifting. I've run into more problems with old,old, but low hour equipment than I care to talk about. If your not good with dail gauges, feeler gauges,etc.,some times you just gotta' bite it and up grade. I did and it's nice not having to wrench things all the time. Good luck!

I think you have done great for a part that is 30 years old, like Rob said time to upgrade for a MARINE leg to last that long put it in a muesuem its more than done its time!!!!!!!they dont last forever!!!!!!!

Wolf

Back