12/24v 40L fridge/freezer

TenMile

Hey all,

A while ago via UsedVictoria I purchased a 12/24v fridge/freezer off a local boater. He contacted me and is selling the second unit he has. I really like this little freezer, so figured I'd post it here as they are a great deal.

These units are made by a South African company called Minus40 and are designed for extreme applications either marine or safari. It can keep ice frozen for 3-4 days without power. The unit itself has a Danfoss 12/24v compressor. This compressor is worth over $600 alone and are regarded as absolutely the best in the business. All of the high end solar fridge/freezers use the Danfoss compressor as they are extremely low power consumption and last forever. Roughly speaking, the unit uses about 4Amps of power when on, but can be on for as little as 5-10 minutes per hour depending on how low you set the temperature.

The unit is a top-load unit, single compartment with a latching lid. Looks just like a chest freezer except much smaller. You can adjust the temperature from +30c to -30c so it can be used as a full on freezer or beer cooler. The unit is small -- I don't have the exact dimensions but it's roughly 12" deep x 30" wide by 15" high. You can easily pack 36-48 beers inside it, or like me, keep bottles of water frozen for fishing.

As mentioned, I purchased one of the 2 units he had, and he has asked me if I want the second. I have no use for it, but can provide my thumbs up. The exterior of the freezer is rough looking as they have been installed in a hold on a sailboat and the sheet metal exterior has some cosmetic rust (nothing impacts the structure). I ended up sanding, priming and repainting the exterior of the one I purchased with Krylon and it came out as good as new. I also had to replace the 12v fan inside of mine as the old one stopped working -- I was able to take one from an old computer motherboard I had (it's the same type of fan).

If anyone is interested, send me a PM and I can pass along his email. I paid $250 for the unit -- new these freezers cost well over $800. The guy lives over by Commonwealth Pool.

Back