11 Weight Fly Rod Blank For Downrigger Rod?

Dogbreath

So I'm looking at an 11 weight Fly rod to build into a downrigger rod I like the action but I wonder if it's tough enough to handle a full sized flasher + a large Spring.

Any rod builders out there?

Not sure if the blank comes with eyelets or not -- if it does, the fly rod eyelets don't tend to be as durable as the mooching rods.

I run a nine weight every once in a while, I put mooching eyes on and have no problem using it with a down rigger.
You should have no problem with your 11 weight.
Cheers Fah-Cups.

I had a 10 1/2 foot Fenwick HMG 11 weight fly rod blank made into a downrigger/float road 30 years ago. It's a great rod for fighting fish, very forgiviing, and I've got springs up to 36 lbs on it and loads of steelhead. You have to be careful tripping the line off the downrigger as it hasn't the strength in the butt section of other rods. Unfortunately, the wife of a fishing buddy broke the last 4 inches off the tip one day. Nowadays I prefer my Loomis GL2's for springs off the downrigger. Hope this helps.

I have a 6-7 wt rod and have had fish on over 20 lbs and not be a problem. Last winter we fished Sooke with flashers on our fly rods off the downrigger and no problem. You do not feel the flasher with the fly rod.

<((---(

Back