105 pound Rivers inlet Chinook

I heard the measurements and using 800 to divide by it would be in the high 90's, so yeah could well be 100 lbs or there about. That is a huge fish no matter what, and a few pounds either way is no big deal. We will never know the true weight, but who cares but its nice to know that 100 lbers are swimming out there and I'm glad it was released but I would not hold it against th eguy if he bonked it. I have seen an 84 lber in Rupert and all I can say is you would not believe what a pig of a fish that is. I have seen pictures from Fisheries staff with spawning salmon in the high 80's in Rivers, so its totally possible.
There was an article on that fish a few days ago. They calculated using several different published formulas, and had weights between 98 and 122 lbs. The fish was reported to be caught near Dawson's Landing, which is 10+ miles from the head of the inlet.

Line Class World Records (Conventional Tackle)​

Line Class
Weight
Angler

M-02 kg (4 lb)
27.10 kg (59 lb 12 oz)
Skeena River, British Columbia, Canada
31-Jul-1987
C.F. Ream
Details
History
M-03 kg (6 lb)
23.24 kg (51 lb 4 oz)
Rivers Inlet, British Columbia, Canada
18-Aug-2004
John L. Beath
Details
History
M-04 kg (8 lb)
28.34 kg (62 lb 8 oz)
Haida Gwaii, British Columbia, Canada
29-Jun-1987
Albert Heimenberg
Details
History
M-10 kg (20 lb)
38.78 kg (85 lb 8 oz)
Odlom Point, British Columbia, Canada
04-Aug-1987
Robert Carter
Details
History

Here…..you can discuss this one that was caught the day we ran back to Hardy
I'll bite :)

As @hippaisland mentioned we've been up at rivers early august for past several years. I saw both the '105' and your pic of this '85' caught, battled, netted and released and when I saw your '85' caught and released I said to the rest of our boat that if those guys come back to the dock and tell us they just released an 80+ I would absolutely have no doubts. That fish was a pig. Fought like a pig and saw you guys handling it and it look all of its '85' lbs from my eyes (had binos as well).

As for the '105', I can't say the same. I can't verify that it wasn't '105' either but the way I saw that fish handled (ie hand around caudal peduncle, etc) I just can't bring myself to admit it was anywhere close to '105'. A fantastic and massive fish? yes. But just leave it at that, IMO.

I remember reading about a 126 pound chinook caught in a fish trap in Alaska in 1949. It measured 60 inches in length – not sure what the girth was. The chinook was estimated be around 140 pounds when it was in the ocean.

Last edited:
Back