105 pound Rivers inlet Chinook

2xeagle16

Does anyone have info on a 105.6 pound chinook caught recently at Rivers Inlet. The weight was calculated from taped measurements and released. From what I have heard several people witnessed the measuring and releasing of the fish. I would guess this is a world record for sport caught chinook.

Assumption Alert!

If they are going to the head of the inlet and catching these big hogs, that really is too bad. Some lodges there refuse to go up that far and try to mandate that their boats don't go there either. Not sure where any of you stand on this but there are plenty of big Tyee without purposely going after the monsters at the top of Rivers Inlet.

Assumption Over.

I was up there a few days after it was caught.
Got a 58 and a 43 in one morning bite along with 6 other hookups.
Fish were chrome bright.
I have no problem fishing up there.
Great fishery and great hatchery program.
Small barbless hooks, cut plug herring, no downriggers.
Most are measuring and releasing.
The chief of the band there was guiding Rick Hanson on the the same tack as me one morning.
Length x girth x girt over 740 gives you the weight . Measurements in inches.

Fish were chrome bright.
The chief of the band there was guiding Rick Hanson on the the same tack as me one morning.

Doesn't the fishery and hatchery program depend on these big hogs though? I have fished there many times, yes to cut plug, no riggers although many lodges use them now.

I have found that L x G x G / 800 is much more accurate and likely to still be a bit high for most fish. Dividing by 740 would give an even more "optimistic" weight. Try it out on fish you bonk and can verify.
The lodges often give you a plasticised chart showing cross reference weight calculations. I never did check them with an actual scale.

116875795_10163957598435577_1192396688550576750_n.jpg

So if there's debate over the calculations whatsoever who the hell is adding the decimal place in there? lol
I'd say an estimated 100lb fish sounds pretty good enough.

(length x girth x girth)/800 is a better formula. Back when I used to hang 40-50+ fish on the scale it was consistently just under the hung weight. If I am taping a fish for release I would much prefer to have a formula that is more conservative.

this one was 49 x 34,5 so somewhere in the high 60s to mid 70s.....it was released to hopefully make it back to the river. out of the water for about 15-20 seconds with buckets of water poured on it to keep it wet and the gills happy up until the moment of the photos.

I just dont see 105# on that big fish.... its north of 70 but who knows by how much. Massive fish though...

Attachments

• net.jpg
    net.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 593
  • 73#.jpg
    73#.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 575
I heard the measurements and using 800 to divide by it would be in the high 90's, so yeah could well be 100 lbs or there about. That is a huge fish no matter what, and a few pounds either way is no big deal. We will never know the true weight, but who cares but its nice to know that 100 lbers are swimming out there and I'm glad it was released but I would not hold it against th eguy if he bonked it. I have seen an 84 lber in Rupert and all I can say is you would not believe what a pig of a fish that is. I have seen pictures from Fisheries staff with spawning salmon in the high 80's in Rivers, so its totally possible.

Fish were chrome bright.
740 sweet baby Jesus! seems a little optimistic :p

I heard the measurements and using 800 to divide by it would be in the high 90's, so yeah could well be 100 lbs or there about. That is a huge fish no matter what, and a few pounds either way is no big deal. We will never know the true weight, but who cares but its nice to know that 100 lbers are swimming out there and I'm glad it was released but I would not hold it against th eguy if he bonked it. I have seen an 84 lber in Rupert and all I can say is you would not believe what a pig of a fish that is. I have seen pictures from Fisheries staff with spawning salmon in the high 80's in Rivers, so its totally possible.

I’m with you as well. I would be somewhat disappointed if someone bonked a fish like that but I wouldn’t crucify them that’s for sure. It’s in their right and who knows really, if a guy caught one and it was damaged bad in the gills then why not. Personally I’ve struggled with this issue over the years and always said I would keep one but I have changed my view on it. I think mid to high 40’s would be my limit to keep a big one, anything over that would go back in. But I know one thing I would be very cautious and probably not share it on social media if I did, especially not on here, way to many holier than thou spectators. Which is sad considering this is fishing forum and we should be encouraging all forms of legal participation.

Back