10 hp restriction on the Stamp River

Ok - I will say this; there's some entertaining material in there.
And yes, Now I can see that this topic has been brought up before.... buuuut mindsets change over time. 11 years later - let's carry on this jet boat discussion. I know there are people on this thread that want to see these engines removed as much as I do!

PF

On a hatchery enhanced river like the stamp I have zero issue with the jets. Is this a jealousy thing?
If there truly is a conservation concern there are other issues you should be addressing

you think those jets limit themselves to just the stamp... ? they venture into any place they can find a steelhead. they run a business that relies on catching fish, they will do what ever it takes, even if it means bending the rules or piggy backing on the Murphy decision.

the positive to having guides and jets on the STAMP is that they do contribute to brood collection, which in turn provides future catch opportunities for anglers.

you think those jets limit themselves to just the stamp... ? they venture into any place they can find a steelhead. they run a business that relies on catching fish, they will do what ever it takes, even if it means bending the rules or piggy backing on the Murphy decision.

the positive to having guides and jets on the STAMP is that they do contribute to brood collection, which in turn provides future catch opportunities for anglers.
Please explain how the guides are bending the rules?
Just so you know, I am a guide that operates the Stamp with a zodiac. I operate with a greater than 10hp engine. I was in court the day David Murphy won his case because he fell under the exemption of "one whose lifelyhood and or sustenance is depending upon fishing". So precedence has been set and anyone else who falls under that criteria would also be exempt. Kind of like why fisheries don't bother to charge and make every FN food fisher prove they are native in a court of law. It is an obvious waist of time and money for a case that would most likely loose.
Your comment of "they venture into any place they can find a steelhead", do you mean that in a negative way? Is this not what you do to catch a fish? How are they bending the rules? If there are laws being broken then by who or which guide?

There are zero positives of having jet boats on the stamp.
Those guides could collect brood stock from drift boats without engines just as easily.
No jets required.

Just so you know, I am a guide that operates the Stamp with a zodiac. I operate with a greater than 10hp engine. I was in court the day David Murphy won his case because he fell under the exemption of "one whose lifelyhood and or sustenance is depending upon fishing". So precedence has been set and anyone else who falls under that criteria would also be exempt. Kind of like why fisheries don't bother to charge and make every FN food fisher prove they are native in a court of law. It is an obvious waist of time and money for a case that would most likely loose.
Your comment of "they venture into any place they can find a steelhead", do you mean that in a negative way? Is this not what you do to catch a fish? How are they bending the rules? If there are laws being broken then by who or which guide?
Take a look at my initial post at the beginning of this thread. There is a federal regulation in place on the stamp that states a 10hp engine is the limit.
This is a clear deviation of the rules.
Not a bend.
This "lively hood and sustenance" claim is such ********.
All of you guides are so short sighted it absolutely sickens me.
If you think that the stamp river is positively benefiting from jet boats ripping all over it - you are delusional.

Pastafarian

Do you know what exemption means? Did you read my last post?
1000 anglers support the jet boat guide service annually on the Stamp so says the guide reports. Operating drift boats is not as safe and there are not suitable launch sites on the river for drifting.
I can see you have a burning hatred for the boats. So what makes you personal desire more important than the 1000 other friendly people who help stimulate the local economy by hiring jet boats??

bending ie. piggy backing Murphy decision. of course there are no rules being bent... just like ocean fishing, no guides ever bend rules to increase tip. can you tell me that some bait isn't innocently slung above the bucket? especially when things get desperate to even beach "a" fish for a client?. I do agree it would be a waste of time to run everyone through court on the same premise as Murphy. lively hood or not, still special "rights" for you. Basically this whole 10 hp rule should be removed from the regs as it is unenforceable.
I don't mean anything in a negative way. I was more highlighting the fact that jet boats operate on more than just the stamp in the Inlet. White buck was insinuating that jet boats only fish on the stamp, and the increased efficiency of fishing from a jet is limited to that river. As previously pointed out, jet boats put people on more fish day in day out, and yes, that is what fishing is about. some of those fish are turned over so many times you guys even have names for specific fish no?

I am neutral on the this whole jet boat thing anyway. I haven't fish stamp, let alone steelhead in a long time. I use to dump in and drift in my pontoon.

I have always been an advocate to lifting the rule and fought it 's proposal before being implemented.
I can tell you that on my boat nobody is ever so desperate to keep guests happy that we use bait or fish illegally. I have however seen plenty of shrimp trimmings and used roe bags on the rocks over at the island. MOE also goes on a bait flinging mission from time to time to.

Never did I say jets only fish the stamp.
On a hatchery river a bait ban is pointless. Why is there no bait ban on the sproat after October 31?
As for beat on fish....stamp fish have it easy compared to Vedder steel and other northern tribs that get beat on way worse!

Last edited:
Hey Fishmyster, I think you were the guide 10 years ago on a Murphy boat. My best day fishing steel ever. Landing 23 mostly above the bucket. It was -8 on a clear sunny day.

Hey Kenny, seen you catch many fish in your pontoon boat over the years. Always entertaining, keep it up. How has the fishing been lately?

Hey Fishmyster, I think you were the guide 10 years ago on a Murphy boat. My best day fishing steel ever. Landing 23 mostly above the bucket. It was -8 on a clear sunny day.

That wasn't me. By the looking at the back of the guide I think you were fishing with Matt Gigier. Glad to here you had a memorable trip!!

Hey Kenny, seen you catch many fish in your pontoon boat over the years. Always entertaining, keep it up. How has the fishing been lately?
I haven't been fishing much lately. Been moving, taking courses to change careers and a little hunting.
Sounds like there are a few winters in the system. Nothing like years past but some seed for the future at least!

Oh poor guides they just want to make a living I feel so sorry for you how else could you possibly get by, it would be so tough to row a boat and so dangerous for your poor(rich) guests they would surely never return who likes silence anyways when your steelhead fishing. The problem with high horsepower large jet boats going down a small river is obvious and the impacts aren't only on the fisherman in the river, that doesn't even matter. its the fish their eggs and all the following stages that matter. A boat going over spawning salmon spooks them off hampering their spawning then their eggs get disturbed by jets cruising over top of spawning beds then the young get disturbed and or sucked up into jets. If guides feel it is worth the loss for their personal benefit then defend that part of it don't just keep telling about how 1000 no minds support them. Its clear on here people are very misinformed about the reality of what these boats do or where they travel on the river. Taking broodstock is a negative not positive and the stamp is not a hatchery system its a wild system with a hatchery on it, a derelict barely functioning one at that, that is always on the cusp of spreading disease through out the system like it did several years ago when the hatcheries returning were eelheads skinny with sores on their sides. There is no problem with having guides on the river the problem is their boats. The arguments for jet boats are all about making it personal calling people out asking who they are because they have no real argument other than selfishness, maybe they should stop being such babies and realize that those on the other side don't hate the player they hate the game.

Back