10 hp restriction on the Stamp River

Who benefits from jet boats in the Stamp? Almost no one!
So let me ask this; why is there so much indirect support for them?
Indirect support in this case is where everyone gives up caring about an issue and the rules continue to get broken.
By not supporting the RIGHT thing to do, many people seem to be indirectly supporting the handful of rule breakers that are negatively impacting the Stamp river.
All I am looking for is a discussion on why this continues to been overlooked.
Thanks for everyone's input.
PF
I've had many good times in jet boats fishing the stamp, I don't see any issue with it,

Lol, or switch rod using a roll cast at Moneys. By the way, do jets go in the upper? I’ve only ever used drift boats there.
Yeah there's jets up there - not above the hatchery obviously, but from the lagoon to all the way past moneys they are lurking. Good for you on the drift boat btw! They are the way to fish!!

ohh..o_O hmmm jet will kick the arse out of drift boat in most cases... For a good quiet days ..love the drift boat... for a volume get the numbers day.. jet all the way..depends on whatca u looking for the day ... ;):)

Last edited:
To the best of my knowledge licensed guide boats are allowed to exceed this 10hp limit. Why don't you call David Murphy, I'm sure he would be willing to talk to you about it.

The "best of " your knowledge is incorrect, technically.

There is only one licensed guide who won his case in court to run an engine greater than 10 HP, and that is Dave Murphy, and the decision in that case was very specific about that.

No other guide is legally operating if they are using more than 10 HP.

They all will claim they can run 10 HP plus because of the Murphy decision, but they are incorrect.

Nobody will either prosecute a new case nor appeal the old one today as it's not a high priority for any Prosecutor and the unfortunate decisions made by the Judge in the Murphy case have established precedents that would need be overturned to be successful in any new prosecution.

And that's the way it is.

Take care.

A bit of a change in topic, but I live on the mainland and want to do a steelhead trip on the stamp. What would be a good time to come over

Pasta raises a very true concern to anyone who fishes the stamp river more than just once in awhile or from a jet boat once in awhile. These interests will simply travel to the next river once they see a decline in this river and fish the once or twice a year somewhere else . People praising jet boats because they either have caught fish from them or feel they push fish in and make them easier to catch, or that the stamp is a hatchery river so who cares show their true self interest and lack of understanding on the matter. The jet boats travel from above the hatchery to stamp falls across almost all spawning grounds aside from a couple upstream of the upper most falls. They run their motors the whole time traveling down and then back up on the stamp which before ash river is half the size of the somass which isn't all that large itself. I fish the banks and have seen fish scatter off the spawning grounds as they go full speed up the river. This isn't limited to fish I see bears leave the river and birds fly away and my experience altered by their loud constant presence. To call the stamp a hatchery system is completely wrong the hatchery takes from the wild numbers by capturing their brood from it to create a meat fishery to satisfy that side of the fishery. I would like to see them stop interfering and taking wild fish out of the wild run and interfering with the superior genetics of these wild fish just to allow them to be turned into hatchery fish then harvested. Hatchery steelhead should only be in rivers that a run is extinct or never existed , hatchery fish are inferior and a risk to the wild population. I have seen the stamp when it was harder to get a hatchery then a wild and guys were choked they didn't get a hatchery to take home. The problem with these forums is the people who say the truth about something get hammered for saying facts from some guy who fished somewhere once or twice maybe. people seem to love the status quo but raise a concern no matter how right it is and some denier will jump on it right away. Maybe he should have just posted a bunch of pictures of coloured up old steelys and promoted targeting resting fish with bait and everyone would love pastafarian. Im a new member and I own a two handed fly rod though so my opinions should be disregarded as such

The "best of " your knowledge is incorrect, technically.

There is only one licensed guide who won his case in court to run an engine greater than 10 HP, and that is Dave Murphy, and the decision in that case was very specific about that.

No other guide is legally operating if they are using more than 10 HP.

They all will claim they can run 10 HP plus because of the Murphy decision, but they are incorrect.

Nobody will either prosecute a new case nor appeal the old one today as it's not a high priority for any Prosecutor and the unfortunate decisions made by the Judge in the Murphy case have established precedents that would need be overturned to be successful in any new prosecution.

And that's the way it is.

Take care.
Hello Dave,
Thanks for the information. I've heard about David Murphy's operating permit but haven't spoken to him personally. David is rarely seen in his boats however and I wonder if his guides are grandfathered into this clause - not to mention there's more than one Murphy boat now!
I appreciate your knowledge, thanks for sharing.
Pastafarian

Last edited:
Always love the fly/spey elitist ********.
There is almost zero true wild fish on the stamp with decades of wild and hatchery fish interspawning.
You need to wake up. If anything there needs to be more hatchery production on the stamp as it is a drop in the bucket compared to what it used to be. More fish on the Stamp equals anglers not fishing true wild streams and beating the ****
Out of depressed stocks.
You should bring your concerns up with anglers on the rivers.....instead of coming to a forum and bitching about it.

Last edited:
There is almost zero true wild fish on the stamp with decades of wild and hatchery fish interspawning.
You need to wake up. If anything there needs to be more hatchery production on the stamp as it is a drop in the bucket compared to what it used to be. More fish on the Stamp equals anglers not fishing true wild streams and beating the ****
Out of depressed stocks.
You should bring your concerns up with anglers on the rivers.....instead of coming to a forum and bitching about it.
Thank you.

Hello Dave,
Thanks for the information. I've heard about David Murphy's operating permit but haven't spoken to him personally. David is rarely seen in his boats however and I wonder if his guides are grandfathered into this clause - not to mention there's more than one Murphy boat now!
I appreciate your knowledge, thanks for sharing.
Pastafarian

The judgement in favour of Dave was specific to it applying only to Dave.

None of his employees technically qualify and there shouldn't be any Grandfathering in allowed to accommodate them.

No other guides qualify for the HP exemption, nor do any private anglers who use boats.

Dave Murphy and Dave Murphy alone and singularly is the only guide exempt the rules/laws on the Stamp regarding a horsepower limitation.

It's a bit of a strange duck for sure, but that's the gist of it.

Take care.

The judgement in favour of Dave was specific to it applying only to Dave.

None of his employees technically qualify and there shouldn't be any Grandfathering in allowed to accommodate them.

No other guides qualify for the HP exemption, nor do any private anglers who use boats.

Dave Murphy and Dave Murphy alone and singularly is the only guide exempt the rules/laws on the Stamp regarding a horsepower limitation.

It's a bit of a strange duck for sure, but that's the gist of it.

Take care.
Hmm, I thought all the guides had the exemption not just Murphy. We got hassled by one of the "non exempt" guides for running a jet "on his river" when clearly he shouldn't be running a jet either. Just an update on "guide elite status", I have been told that the hatchery launch that was used by all comers has now been restricted to the guiding community only. Not sure how accurate that is as it is a second hand report. Maybe somebody else can confirm the status of the launch at Robertson creek hatchery.

So just thinking out load. If the powers that be are "overlooking" this horsepower restriction, are any horsepower/motor restrictions, on any other bodies of water, say lakes with electric only, or no motor restrictions, or lakes with 10 hp restrictions any more valid?

Laws and regulations get rather tricky when they only apply to a few and only at select times and at the whim of those in charge of writing and enforcing said laws.

Last edited:
Although I wasn't directly involved with the Murphy case I did receive a complete transcription of the trial and have both studied it closely and shared it with a few select others.

What I have posted previously is, to the absolute best of my knowledge and interpretation, the technical reality.

It is simple as can be.

Dave Murphy was charged, went to court and was found to be "Not guilty" and exempted from the HP restriction.

Nobody else has. The ruling was specific and clear in that Dave and only Dave was exempt.

No other guide, rather they work for Dave or not, has the same exemption as Dave does.

As I noted, it's a "strange duck" and unique as far as I can tell.

Restrictions on other bodies of water are not really relevant to this case, being unique and all that.

I try to be clear in what I post so there it is.

Take care.

Dave is well versed in the subject because him and the Haig brown boys got the jet and bait ban regs placed on the Gold. Maybe if they didn't there might be some steel left in the system, Ken did a pretty good job of feeding them in the Lake pool. ;)

Although I wasn't directly involved with the Murphy case I did receive a complete transcription of the trial and have both studied it closely and shared it with a few select others.

What I have posted previously is, to the absolute best of my knowledge and interpretation, the technical reality.

It is simple as can be.

Dave Murphy was charged, went to court and was found to be "Not guilty" and exempted from the HP restriction.

Nobody else has. The ruling was specific and clear in that Dave and only Dave was exempt.

No other guide, rather they work for Dave or not, has the same exemption as Dave does.

As I noted, it's a "strange duck" and unique as far as I can tell.

Restrictions on other bodies of water are not really relevant to this case, being unique and all that.

I try to be clear in what I post so there it is.

Take care.
Thanks Dave!
I'm currently delving into this on my own and should have some relevant info posted on here soon.
PF

Out of depressed stocks.

Hey Pro tips,
I really enjoy reading your opinions. Try to remember that they are opinions.
I was hoping this thread wouldnt turn into nasty shots back and forth - but you're getting dangerously close.
Have a good one.
PF

Back