#1 - All time favorite 'Fishin' story'...

So there is another falcon on the forums...

This isn't a saltwater story but it was awesome. I usually have bad luck in freshwater but have only once ever not hooked into anything in saltwater. So when I decided to first target carp at elk lake I was not expecting a single fish. I went with my dad and we arrived at the lake just before 8am.

I rigged my line and cast it out off Hamsterly Beach. Sat down to wait. I was tired, so I was about to close my eyes. Again, not expecting anything, and certainly not right away.

Then the rod tip started to twitch. I sat up and looked, almost not believing it. My line had been out maybe two minutes. All of a sudden the reel started screaming. This wasn't a slow run, the fish was taking line fast. I grabbed the rod and set the hook. Probably nearly 5 minute fight for a 4lb fish.

Set up with fresh bait (corn) and cast out again. This time, I barely had time to tighten the line before another fish hit. Another 6 minutes of fighting and I had an 8lb carp.

Fishing slowed down and I figured that was about it, but decided to go for another half hour from the path by the highway. The bite had slowed, but still after 5 minutes another fish took the bait. It hit hard without any warning and I thought maybe a bass had picked it up for some strange reason. This one ran three times, and it seemed to be the biggest of the bunch, until I finally coaxed it in to shore.

Four pounds.

Proof that weight doesn't always equal a great fight.

The fish became broth for a soup.

Back