#1 - All time favorite 'Fishin' story'...

Howdy,

Great story's... hope to read more.

I hear you Walleye's.

It's hard to talk about someone you shared special time with who's not around any more.

Like my old hunting-fishing buddy back in Vancouver. He was the first guy I moved out with as a teenager, was best-man at my wedding, and was my #1 - fishing/hunting buddy. We had more laughs together than a Robin Williams show; more adventures than I can count and man - could we catch fish!

While I got out of the 'drug' scene over 17-yrs ago, he didn't.

Every year since 82' - when I moved to Victoria - I would call him in the fall and plead with him to come hunting with me. There was always some excuse...

A few months back I called to tell him I finally got a decent boat and was looking forward to him coming over to take him out. He sounded excited and said he'd look forward to it. I decided, sinse I am the one who always calls him, I'd just wait to see if he called.

He hasn't. Don't know if he's taken another fall or what.

I've made up my mind I'm not going to call him this fall. It hurts too much being rejected and I'm tired of beating my head against the wall.

He has no idea how much I miss him and the times we had...

Cheers,
Terry

OK, if we are talking about taking kids and fathers fishing here goes.. 1st story, my father for his 70th birthday wanted to go salmon fishing for his last time (has fished all his life here in Alberta and used to haul a boat across the rockies to fish at Parksville) we booked a 4 day charter/lodging with Critter Cove at Nootka. The guide we had was born and raised in Nootka Sound and turned us on to some very large springs while fishing so close to shore we could see the bugs landing on flowers, my dad also wanted to get some ling so on day 3 we left early and headed out past the enterence to the sound and filled up the cooler with ling and yellow eye, on the way back in we were trolling for salmon and just kept getting hit by mackeral which were in the area due to an elnio year. Dad had a 7 foot ulgy stick with him and a large open faced reel spooled with 20 lb test, he put on a small silver and gold Tom Mack and cast it out the back of the boat, gave it some extra line and put it in the rod holder in hopes of getting a mackerl; to our surprize it got a hit and line started to peel off, it was no mackeral. After fighting the fish for 20 min his arms were sore and gave the rod to me, after 5 or 10 more min. a 42 lb spring was in the net. The best part about this was once we got back to Critter Cove and put the fish on the scale the staff there sounded a blow horn which tells all that a fish over 40 lbs was caught, his pic taken and he received a special over 40 lb hat which he still wears to this day.
2nd story... three years ago, after fishing 4 times at Winter Harbour with my buddy I thought I would bring my wife and boys (8 and 9 years old), rent a cabin at Dick's last Resort and also rent a 16 foot open boat and fish in the calm waters around the light house in late Aug for Coho. Fishing was spotty, with hits and fish comming slow, all of a sudden both rods went off, I gave one to 1 boy and my wife gave the other to the other boy; reels were screaming, line peeling off, both boys yelling that they could'nt hang on any longer and the wife and myself laughing at the whole thing, in the end we took the rods and the boys got to net their own salmon. They talk about it every time we discuss our next trip to Winter Harbour... This Aug.
Memories are great

My 2nd best memory so far. Last fall here in Comox fished with my 10-year-old daughter.
9 springs in 2 1/2 hours with one rod. Gave the rod to her each time but held the butt end. My rod would have gone swimming, as they were 20+ #. Keep one let the rest go. Other guys in boats were having same results. It was like the good old days the old-timers talk about.
1st is when I was 6 and my Aunt took me fishing for rainbow trout. Hooked into a 5 # that I got right up to the shallow water gravel bar we were standing on. The hook pop’s out and Aunty reaches down and digs her finger nails into the back and it’s home into the freezer. My parents wanted to cook him but I would not let them. Fish sat in the freezer for years only to come out when ever we had guests over. Finally planted in the front yard under one of those trees you get from school.
Hope to make more memories with my daughter this year.
GLG

Our 8 year old son is just a fishing fool. He loves to fish no matter what the weather or the fish. When we have to stay home cuz life gets in the way, he still finds a way to fish. He grabs one of the hali rods, an old sock and lets the dogs out of the kennel. You can stand in the window of the house and look out in the back yard while he casts his "bait". The dogs chase that sock and you hear a "FISH ON"! Let the tug of war begin. Yesterday, he must have been thinking of sailfish cuz he came in the house to get some gloves and he was using a "hand line" with his bait on the dogs. I'm thinking we should video this. It's a hoot to witness...:D[8D][:p]

this a great thread.. we have many memorable stories.

2 years ago, we were still quite new to the concept of halibut fishing, in terms of where to go. we knew all of the baits and lures and pretty much every tactic, we just could not find where to go. we used to fish one or trip for a single chicken halibut, not knowing where to go. We were fishing on the northern part of the island. we decided to go one morning to a spot in over 360 feet of water about 300 yards off a rock wall. with a flat mudd bottom, surrounded by an ugly tackle grabbing reef. it was a miserable day, and was difficult to get down, but we did. we dropped down our lines and sat for about 5 minutes, when we heard to rod holder on the left side cracking, and the boat leaning to one side. We had drifted fairly close to the reef, and thought we were snagged, we quickly reeled up the other line about 100 feet, and then grabbed the other rod and began to start trying to unsnag it. of course, the bottom began to come up slowly. it was like lifting a dead weight, all 3 of us on the rod to lift up, barely being able to, then reeling down. unbeleivably heavy. The 25 foot marker showed on our line after a while and this thing saw the boat and went nuts. it did about 3 headshakes, each time, the rod would go up above our head, then down and touch the water. the line went slack, we had lost him. obviously, not knowing it was a fish, we had not hardly set the hooks and did not let him, rather her, swallow it. We guessed this fish to be way over 100 pounds, its difficult to determine the exact size when they get so big.
We went back the next day, with an empty feeling in our stomach, and it was the last day of our trip. we let the lines down, and after acouple of minutes, the same thing happens on the same rod. we make no mistake this time. We give the fish about 1 minute to engulf the bait, and then whale on the thing. It goes nuts down deep, doing the same head shaking ritual as before as soon as we set the hook, after a huge battle, we get it up to the boat and stick the harpoon in it, luckily we got it right in the spine and it didnt move. we pulled her in and she weighed 124 pounds.
She was caught on a tandum j hook rig, and we only used 100lb mono leader. the fish had the bottom hook stuck a little ways down in her jaw, and the top hook stuck on the outside of her lip. She had chewed the bottom hook completely off =O .. lets just say we changed to 300 pound test mono after that. this fish was not nearly as heavy as the one we lost the day before. This was a great way to end the trip, and our new hali spot was extremely exciting.

We came back this year and on the first day, went to the same spot. We let the lines down and as soon as it hit the bottom, no more than 10 seconds, somethin begins to run with it but then drops the bait, seemed like a smaller fish, but we couldnt beleive it. Must have dropped it right on his head. No more than 2 minutes later, i pick up one rod and begin to bottom bounce, as there were no waves to give action. on the upstroke, something hammers the bait and slams the rod down against the rail. i give the fish plenty of time, about a minute again, and lift up to see if hes still there. Its heavy, so i set the hook a good 3 times, and shes there. She makes a major run, then stops, we were unable to move her with our 100 pound test line.

Weighed in at 167 pounds. about 40 minutes later, we caught a 50 pounder. Had to cut the hooks out of the stomachs in both of them. A great day. And a fantastic spot, for some reason, big fish just lay in there. And all i know is that this year, i think i know whats gonna happen within the first 20 minutes after we let our line down. We cant wait! ps-Being amongst the first large halibut we had caught at the time, of course we kept them, they tasted fine, but we just might try and only keep the smaller ones from now on for conservation purposes, it depends how the fishing is.

Howdy!

Love reading this stuff! Big medicine... man-O-man, some of these stories make yer' eyes water.

Triple T - get that little guy back out on the water!
In this day of inept Fisheries management and a steadily declining sport-fishing community, he'll be tomorrow's Ambassador of our precious past time. Clearly, we need young'uns like him to fall in our footsteps and carry on the fight to protect and preserve both the rights and opportunities of future sport-fishing generations.
</u>
Come on... keep them stories comin'!

Cheers,
Terry

A month ago, I was at Queen Charlottes island dock, Lots of springs caught by anglers ranging mid-teens to low twenties. I haven't seen any tyees. Maybe I have seen only one or two 30 pounders at that dock. I was out on the boat in that area...saw two nice bright springs in low twenties landed! good fighting fish. The thrill of my lifetime was landing two nice halibut in only few minutes at first time right off Queen Charlottes Island. Good time!

Little Hawk-
The little man leaves in three days for Critter Cove with us! He's dreaming of Tyess right now!!!

Howdy,

Triple T... let us know how he made out when you get back home.

Good Luck!

GLG... Your great story about the rainbow ending up as fertilizer reminded me of another story...

I'm about 11 yrs/old, fishing with a hand line off Pier 94 on the waterfront in North Vancouver (where I grew up). I'm with a couple of my Buddies.

We'd usually just put a hunk of a tube-worm on a hook and drop it to the bottom then tie it off and then go look for some other mischief to get into for a while. This particular time when I came back to check it some 20 - 30 min. later, I could feel something VERY heavy on it.

I start yelling at my buddies and soon they, and several Chinese sailors off the freighter moored there, were gathered round to see what came up...

A monster Dogfish about 4-ft long. I freaked!

As there was no way to haul it up the nearly 25 ft. from the water (low tide) I was some worried that I would loose it.

Then the light went on...

An old Chinaman had his bicycle-wheel/rim crab-trap tied off to the wharf right next to where I had this 'Mother of all Mud Sharks' on my line, and since he'd gone back on the frieghter I figured he wouldn't mind if I pressed his trap into service.

I got one buddy to hold the drop-line while I hauled up his trap then carefully manuevered the thing under the fish, then hauled the whole works up onto the deck.

After refusing several offers to buy the fish (was quite a scene with all them Chinese guys yacking at each other) off I went with my prize, home to show my folks.

The thing was huge when I left... but very heavy... so it ended up being dragged most of the 5-blocks to my house.

When I got it home and proudly held it up by the tail to show Mom & Dad, nearly all of its head was gone. Probably the worst case of 'road-rash' I ever seen.

Mom ordered me to bury the thing under her Rose bush in the back yard.
For some years after that, she always talked about how nice her Rose's would bloom every year.

Thanks to my big-fish.

Cheers,
Terry

quote:Originally posted by Little Hawk
Like my old hunting-fishing buddy back in Vancouver. He was the first guy I moved out with as a teenager, was best-man at my wedding, and was my #1 - fishing/hunting buddy. We had more laughs together than a Robin Williams show; more adventures than I can count and man - could we catch fish!

While I got out of the 'drug' scene over 17-yrs ago, he didn't.
He has no idea how much I miss him and the times we had...

Man does this hit home hard.

I had a friend who was a crazed fisherman. The rest of life was merely a distraction to the opportunity to go fishing for him and he re-introduced me to the passion and to many of the facets of fishing.

One of my favourite memories was from Tofino in 93. We had taken my buddy's 14 ' glass boat up the day before and had set up camp withthe intention to go out first light the next morning. In all of the excitement and anticipation of getting out the next morning we began to celebrate being Tofino again and had tipped a few more wobbly pops than we should have that evening. When we finally crawled out of bed the next morning we were well into the daylight and scrambled to get out to Wilf Rocks.

We ran out in the fog and were able to find the southern end of the rocks. We knew the fleet would be at the northern end so we decided to drop our lines and slowly troll along the outside of the rocks until we found the fleet. Trolling cutplug herring down a mere 15 pulls, we were only fishing for about five minutes when my buddy's line went nuts and by the time he grabbed the rod and set the hook the fish was gone. Just as he missed the fish, my line goes crazy and I am able to set the hook and prepare for the battle.

There we were all alone, in the fog, and battling a nice big spring. After a solid 1/2 hour battle we boated and netted a nice 42lb. spring (the biggest one of my saltwater fishing) and high fived each other and pounded our chests for an hour or so, all the while claiming our 'great white hunter" status.

The next day we went out and boated three springs between 27 and 30 lbs. and missed at least as many. We also went to a special spot in Clayquot and limited on coho.

It was a fantastic adventure. I have had many great adventures with him since. He was quick witted, had a six sense about fish and always had a great joke. Three years ago he found crack cocaine and everything changed. He stopped calling and began to hang around with his dealers. His personality took a turn for the worst, he lost his family, house and all his possessions to the drug.

Now he lives as a street bum and is completely unapproachable. When you say "he has no idea how much I miss him and the times we had", I too feel the exact same way.:(

My last story was a bit on the emotional side. It is still my all time favourite as it holds so much meaning for me. However this story is a bit more on the humorous side. 2 years ago a couple of buddies and I decided to hold a derby for our kids. We all bought prizes for each one to make sure no one got left out. In my boat was my son and daughter as well as one friend each for a total of 4 kids. We were trolling around the tide lines looking for pinks to keep the kids busy. After about an hour the first fish hit and my daughter (at 8 was the oldest in the group) wanted to reel it in. I would not let her as the two youngest (indluding her kid brother) then her friend would be first. This did not sit well with her seeing as she would be last. She pouted for a bit but the fish came on pretty good so finally it was her turn after there were 3 pinks in the cooler. Of course as luck would have it a Spring decided to show up and pop the rod. I held it for her and the fight was on as she battled the fish. She was doing really well when the fish decided to run at the boat. I was yelling for her to reel as fast as she could which she did. At this poing I suddenly realized that the reel was not screaming but my daughter was. You see she has really long blond haid and in the excitement it had become entangled in the reel. So here she was with her head stuck 2 inches from the reel and in pain. All the while her dad is screaming "reel faster"! It was her lucky day though as the fish suddenly decided to run in the other direction and her hair came out with the line. We netted what ended up being a 22lb fish and she won the little derby. Here is the picture. Not sure who is smiling more, but I can tell you who was teh proudest papa that day.
TinaFish.jpg

My boys 8 & 9 have never caught Salmon before. They have been on the boat lots when I've landed fish but never played any themselves - too afraid I suppose seeing how whenever a fish is "on" there is yelling and tension in the air.
So this winter I told my boys "you're going to catch your fist salmon this year". My older boy is more "into" fishing than the younger and was looking forward to his first catch.
I went out with another friend a couple months back and when the fish was on, my friend grabbed the line and said the fish was too big for my son to play. I didn't have the guts to say hand him the rod and regretted that. My son played a small ling but nother else happened that day. Ya I felt like a heel.
So I took my boys up 3 weeks ago to Pill Point near Bamfield for a weekend at my Dad's cabin, just the boys and me. We got there Friday night and they were so eager we went out at 7pm. Result - 3 fish in the cooler in 1 1/2 hours - all between 5 & 8 lbs. They were proud, they played all of them.
The next day we got to Diplock for a late start and as I was attaching the line to the release clip, a coho took the line off the top! Great start to a great day. We limited out (6 fish) and must have played 20. They experienced playing fish and were not upset when one got away because they knew another one would hit within 20 mins. Both boys worked the rods and helped steer the boat. We took home 12 fish that weekend and they boys can't wait to go back up.

I'm looking forward to the years to come and the fish to catch with my sons. It's going to be a bond that will stay with us.

IMG_2512.jpg

2MD

Howdy!

f-addict... sorry to hear about your pal. Don't lose hope. With some luck and a little help from 'a Higher Power' he may come around. They are literally 'walking-dead' and the scary part is they have to hit bottom before there's any real chance of em' coming out of it. Sad, but bottom for some means dying. It's tough to lose someone you've shared such special times with; it makes ya both sad and angry.

2MD... Cool story. Was thinking it was a good thing her hair didn't get caught-up on the 'run'...

Keep'em coming; the door is wide-open here!

Cheers,
Terry

HI,
I take my dad out salmon fishing every year for a week so We have lotsa great memories together but the funniest story is from a deer hunting trip to Williams Lake.
We arrived late at night so it was dark out, my dad went to brush his teeth before calling it a night, a couple minutes later I hear all this cussing and swearing so I crawl out with a flash light to see what's going on. He's got his tooth brush in one hand and a tube of RUB A535, must have felt like a tube of tooth paste in the dark.
Man I laughed, We still have a good laugh when I bring it up.
Melroy

I was searching for some information on Charter Special Reels, for inexperienced anglers or kids that come onboard my boat, when I came across this thread from many years ago. Not sure if it's appropriate or not but I thought I'd share a story, I'm at work and need a break.

About ten years ago I was with a group of eight friends, four on one boat four on the other, we were fishing out of Prince Rupert heading up towards Dundas Island. On the way there someone wanted to take a picture when we passed Green Island, where the lighthouse is. So we slowed down for some pictures and proceeded to troll around the island with our gear, might as well while we're here we thought. Around the one side of the island we encountered a juvenile killer whale attacking seals on the beach, truly an awesome sight to witness in person! As we were just about to pick up our gear and move on, it was my turn on the rod as we rotate and I was up first, well the rod goes comes off the clip and starts screaming like crazy. I quickly grab it and it's on! This was a guided trip BTW, the guide says everyone off the deck this is a huge fish!

After an epic 30 minute battle with this monster I was finally able to bring it aboard, a 50.5 pound beautiful LONG spring salmon. Although I've caught six fish over 40 pounds in my life, this was and remains to this day the largest salmon I've ever caught in my life. To top it all off, it was Dewalt Derby time in Rupert and we all entered, this fish won the derby. The eight of us fished up there for nine straight years, such great times with good friends. Life kinda gets in the way and the trips stopped, but we all remain close and chat about the awesome (drunken) fishing trips back in the day....great memories!!

Last edited by a moderator:
My #1 fish story happened in 2011, trolling at the mouth of the little qualicum river. My buddy and I were trolling for springs in 60 ft of water using pink squirts. At around 730 in the morning we look up at one of our rods had popped the clip and was bent right over. My buddy got to the rod first set the hook and handed it to me. It was a slow reel in with a few head shakes but no big runs. Just as I was getting it close to the surface it took off back down to the bottom, bending the rod tip right under the boat. I was pumped thinking I have a huge spring on here. I slowly got all the line back and got the fish up to the surface where we could have a look at it. To our surprise it was a halibut, 68lbs to be exact. We lost it when we saw it! We them quickly realized we didn't have a gaff or a harpoon, all we had was our salmon net. So as I reeled it right up Beside the boat my buddy went under the fish with the net a lifted up and the halibut literally folded into the net. The halibut once in the net thrashed around and completely bent the aluminum frame destroying the net. Which was fine with us though! We hauled it in the boat which was a 15ft hourston. The fish was longer then the deck on boat so the tail was half way up the side of the boat! When we got back to deep bay the owner of the rv park where we were staying to a picture and submitted it to the local paper with a small story here it is http://www.pqbnews.com/news/129500273.html?mobile=true

I think that a day fishing this past July is going to be my favorite fishing story. Even though the fishing was great, it's more about what else happened that day. We were on our way back from Alaska, and were anchored out in a small bay about 30 miles north of Shearwater. I had caught lots of fish earlier in the day, releasing all but one. After dinner I asked the wife if she wanted to go out, she declined so I went by myself. I was fishing in about 200 feet of water but was only about 50 feet off a rocky shoreline. I was sitting on the transom,hand steering the kicker, looked over my left shoulder just as a huge head of a whale surfaced about 500 feet behind me, swimming in my direction. It was only a few feet off the rocks, swimming my direction, which meant it would either swim between me and the shore or under me. At this point I'm thinking it was a orca, but I was so shocked about what was about to happen I wasn't sure. I turned the boat away from the beach, and ran to the front to get my camera. This was going to be the photo opportunity of the summer. I turned on the camera, started to focus it in, and the battery was dead!!! Just then my rod went off, salmon on, what to do now? That orca is going to get my fish. I "horsed"the fish in, looked back and saw a humpback swim up on the rocks chasing bait fish, then slip back in the water. Holy smokes! The whale sounded and came up way in front of me. No photo at all!! No one else to back up my story because I was the only boat out there. A day I won't soon forget.

Back