‘Now I know why they shoot them’: Texas fisherman lands 8-foot halibut near Kodiak Island

Yup true as well. The big ones can be poor quality from the get go. Have eaten some from very big ones from our friends commercial boat and weren't near as good as smaller ones. I'll take a chicken any day. Best IMO. But I'd even trade a chicken for a nice Ling any day.
This... big lings, big halis, big springs, let them swim. That thing is inedible. Sad. And leave them in the water, take few photos and release.

Diversety is very important in broodstock gene pool BUT larger than average size is an important part of the selection for several reasons; it's a reflection of strong health genes, longer ocean survival instincts, and larger number of eggs the females can usual produce. I've been broodstocking Steelhead for 21 years. We make sure we collect a wide range of sizes of both males and females for the brood but always leave sufficient spots for some large ones for those reasons.

Diversety is very important in broodstock gene pool BUT larger than average size is an important part of the selection for several reasons; it's a reflection of strong health genes, longer ocean survival instincts, and larger number of eggs the females can usual produce. I've been broodstocking Steelhead for 21 years. We make sure we collect a wide range of sizes of both males and females for the brood but always leave sufficient spots for some large ones for those reasons.

So like an 80cm slot for chinook??

You guys would know better but I can’t see a fish that big being good eating regardless of how it was taken care of. I’ve had meat from a 200# Hali and found it awfully grainy, didn’t like it at all.
I had the meat from a 130 lb many years ago that I caught... when it was legal to retain. 30 to 40 lbs is a prime eating fish.

We used to pop em one with a sawed off 22 then tail rope them and drag them backwards to suffocate them.

Back