Whats are your plans for winter upgrades?

nedarb2

Personally over the winter im planning on:

-rebuilding or replacing hydraulic steering pump
-new curtains/enclosure
-new vhf and antenna system
-compound, wax, and buff hull
-maybe a new (larger screen) depthsounder
-new washdown nozzle

Fishing Stuff:
-New salmon rods all around
-Add another halibut setup
-Buy another salmon reel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have mine out now getting
New tops, drop downs and windshield extension, (going Black this time)
Bottom painted, and leg antifouling
installing a shore power hook-up center
2 bank battery charger,
new washdown pump,
new cuddy upholstry, (wifes requirements)
new VHF,
oil change and all filters, and zincs
OH and I still have to get that cleaning trough built too,
hope to be back in the water next saturday to boot- not going to happen just got a call from top shop my top material is coming from the east-Damn!

Fishing gear
apparently I have too much now........ Hhhmm
may add some prawning equipment and give that a go for the first time

Tim

Well, I'm new to the whole salmon fishing thing. Went to Bamfield a few weeks ago and got the salmon bug just about as bad as I have the stillwater fly fishing trout bug. Ended up buying a well used Eaglecraft ex fish camp boat, with a very new motor. Although it's a tad underpowered, so I might try and upgrade the motor at some point.

298144_10150391556056327_541741326_10597907_2026162868_n.jpg

So this winter will be busy. Would like to sand the hull down to try and remove some of the lodge lettering foot print. Need to buy new Scotty electrics and wire them up. New salmon rods and reels. Need to make a windshield for the center console. Maybe some cushions for the passenger seats. The self bailing deck holes need some new rubber flappers. They are missing right now.

I'm sure there a more things that I need to do. I just haven't found them yet.

1. Two new batteries
  2. Re-design fish cleaning table
  3. Add LED lighting to cabin and running lights
  4. Additional bracing to the hard top
  5. re-design brake flushing lines
  6. Annual PM on brakes
  7. Replace impellers in both motors
  8. re-paint bottom
  9. Maybe replace scupper thru-hulls with s.s.
  10. bunk carpet replacement - maybe use UHMW
  11. Normal annual maintenance - Fuel filters, wax hull
  12. Other great ideas as they come to me. :cool:,

Well, I'm new to the whole salmon fishing thing. Went to Bamfield a few weeks ago and got the salmon bug just about as bad as I have the stillwater fly fishing trout bug. Ended up buying a well used Eaglecraft ex fish camp boat, with a very new motor. Although it's a tad underpowered, so I might try and upgrade the motor at some point.

So this winter will be busy. Would like to sand the hull down to try and remove some of the lodge lettering foot print. Need to buy new Scotty electrics and wire them up. New salmon rods and reels. Need to make a windshield for the center console. Maybe some cushions for the passenger seats. The self bailing deck holes need some new rubber flappers. They are missing right now.

Nothing wrong with that hull at all. If you're like me you'd want to bring the bow up some for splash over, and possibly think about a half cab / forward facing perhaps. Something to keep you from the elements if you decide to fish for winter springs / prawn, or even rainy spring / summer / fall days.
I think a 115 would push that baby at a good clip.

Here's mine. Semi similar (Daigle / Eaglecraft)

Will be maneuvering some stuff around to put the cabin on / bow rise.

boat.jpg

Nice ride. I love aluminum boats. As for the windshield I would skip it and invest in some good Polarized sunglasses and your done. Post up some pic's of her when she is done.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Nothing wrong with that hull at all. If you're like me you'd want to bring the bow up some for splash over, and possibly think about a half cab / forward facing perhaps. Something to keep you from the elements if you decide to fish for winter springs / prawn, or even rainy spring / summer / fall days.

boat.jpg

Have you thought about the extra weight your going to add to that battleship by putting a half cab on her? How is your freeboard going to be effected etc. I would just leave it alone and get the rain gear like you have been asking about and fish it. Just leave it and fish it...........:D.

Having said that. My first aluminum was only 16.5 feet long with a half cabin on her (very rare Cope design).

Picture118.jpg

She was designed this way from the start however and that is the kicker. I would talk to the folks at Daigle and see if they have any idea's or comments on what you want to do. I would hope that they would be helpful.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Have you thought about the extra weight your going to add to that battleship by putting a half cab on her? How is your freeboard going to be effected etc. I would just leave it alone and get the rain gear like you have been asking about and fish it. Just leave it and fish it...........:D.

Having said that. My first aluminum was only 16.5 feet long with a half cabin on her (very rare Cope design).

Picture118.jpg

She was designed this way from the start however and that is the kicker. I would talk to the folks at Daigle and see if they have any idea's or comments on what you want to do. I would hope that they would be helpful.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Yeah! Exactly what is on yours is pretty much exactly what I was thinking. I was thinking about adding a bit more freeboard as well, but yeah for sure Sculpin weight is the biggest consideration. Probably have to do quite a few calculations before doing something like this yet. I need some more specs from Daigle for sure before even attempting.
I plan on building my own hulls eventually, so I do have some experience in this area having worked for a few builders before. Always good to be reminded what a pain things can be though without proper prep. I sure like the looks of yours. Nice boat!

This winter for the Sculpin hmmmmmm..................

Prawning and Crabbing my butt off with some winter spring fishing thrown in there!!!!!!!!!

I had the rear electrical all redone this summer. I want to trace everything up front and clean up my under the dash stuff and label everything properly. Radar is on the list of things to install. Rework my oar and boat hook mounts. Tidy up my wash down pump (we Mickey Moused it for the season). Degum my kicker carb and come up with a routine for keeping her happy. Maybe blast and put on a kick butt aluminum bottom paint job on her.

The biggest thing is building a nice shelter for her. I will post up some pic's of that endevour when done. Starting it soon!

Cheers,
Sculpin

so I do have some experience in this area having worked for a few builders before.

What boat builders have you worked for before FishBC? I might be PMing you for some advice on my new build in the coming years.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Rebuilding seastar hydraulic steering pump, replacing raw water washdown pump and buying a scotchman and anchor rode for halibut fishing. We will see how my work situation progresses because if I get an ounce of job security I'll be re-powering with a Yamaha F250.

Selling the Pursuit and downsizing.. ideally.However, if plan A fails, will probably find a replacement engine for the stb. side.

This will be an easy winter as I've pretty much redone the entire boat over the past few years. I have a small hydraulic leak off the rear helm hoses, so will replace them. My electric cheapo horn packed it in so will put another one on and I need to fab up a new VHF antenna bracket as the old one has broke from fatigue. Will just go through everything to make sure I haven't missed something. All my fishing gear is fairly new as well so the money is staying in the bank this winter.

I sure hope some folks will post up some pic's and reports of their improvments over the winter. It makes for better entertainment than some provide in the off season:D.

Cheer's
Sculpin

i'm getting a radar arch with the lowrance 3g broadband and the External heading sensor to overlay on my hds8, that's the main one for me

Rebuilding seastar hydraulic steering pump, replacing raw water washdown pump and buying a scotchman and anchor rode for halibut fishing. We will see how my work situation progresses because if I get an ounce of job security I'll be re-powering with a Yamaha F250.
I like the Yamie 250 plan. Wish I could do the same, but I'll bleed as many hours out of my current power for now and re-power when the old Evinrude tells me to. ;-)

boat.jpg

Nice boat Fishbc.org. Daigle marine has one that looks exactly like it for sale right now. I was going to go take a look at it, but I didn't want a motor with 750 hours on it. Thiers is a 16' with a 75 hp Honda. Same t-top and everything. Probably came from the same lodge in Nootka.

I ended up with my Daigle mainly because the 2006 Merc 75 hp had 185 hours on it. Compression test came back at 180 psi across all 4 cylinders. So I'm a little hesitant to upgrade to a larger motor when the one I have is so fresh. But with a cruising speed of around 18 knots @ 4200rpm, I think I'm going to get frustrated with the small motor that's on it. But it's really good on fuel if I don't run at WOT.

I do love the hulls on these boats though. Not many are up for sale either. They tend to hold their value quite well. With a little cleaning, mine will look like new again. A little love and elbow grease goes a long way.

I like the Yamie 250 plan. Wish I could do the same, but I'll bleed as many hours out of my current power for now and re-power when the old Evinrude tells me to. ;-)

I hear ya, I'm trying to convince the wife that the current motor has some trade in value running and is worth zip if it packs it in. It only makes sense to get new power now instead of later.

Back