Weather Conditions when crossing the straight

There will be a weather pattern shift for the last 2 weeks of May. The NW wind will pick up and be more dominant. So you might have better crossings in the 1st 2 weeks of May.
There is a great weather book that you should read and memorize, written by a retired Canadian Meterologist. "The Wind blows all ways" explains the winds you will encounter, various and all places.

This was posted on this site a few years ago,

Guidelines to deciding if you will cross Georgia Strait based on reported/forecast wind speed.

15 knots and below - Go
16 knots is lumpy
17 knots is jumpy
18 knots is ugly
19 knots is fugly
20 knots or more - stay on shore

Guidelines to deciding if you will cross Georgia Strait based on reported/forecast wind speed.

15 knots and below - Go
16 knots is lumpy
17 knots is jumpy
18 knots is ugly
19 knots is fugly
LOL - that was a friend of mine's rhyme I used to use when I first started making the run.

It's pretty accurate!

15 knots and below - Go
16 knots is lumpy
17 knots is jumpy
18 knots is ugly
19 knots is fugly
Good thing i didn't see that when i guided on the west side, i would have stayed on shore a lot

Well, depends on the boat and the crew, even though you'd usually expect a humorous rhyme to perfectly describe all situations.
Was going to say the same thing. Those sound like wife and kid numbers. With the buds 25-35 is pretty fun. White knuckle but still fun.

With the 30 that is :)

You crazeee...all I can think about is how much **** breaks with each heavy wave haha
No way man, waves over the bow is pretty awesome. It's what these things were meant to do.

Pretty much the exact reason my youngest laughs when I say come on, time to go boating, and his reply dad we need a bigger boat...atta boy!
At least you’re in a Hourston to take on those big waves

Hahaha indeed it is. I was wondering when that fuss was gonna resurface. Proves the internet does really reinvent itself over and again.
I personally love the phrase. Been using it for years when I was a *****-butt wakeboard kid lol.

Be careful with rods in the holders. Snapped a gl2 with an islander on it crossing in high 20’s to sandheads. Luckily the butt was still holding on by a thread

Back