wash down pumps

S

scottyboy

Looking at putting a wash down pump on my boat ! Any ideas on brands , mounting ideas ,or location of inlet hole??Any info would be awesome. thanx

tight lines

I have a Par Max. I mounted it just above the waterline, connected to a ball valve. Inlet hull is between the second and third chines. I keep it above the water line to avoid the boat sinking if the housing cracks. Plus, as you run, the water drains out of it.

Keep it high and dry, and it will last forever.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

hey scott have u been out locally recently?
there's fish in sansum off the power lines ;)

-make sure you get a raw water washdown pump, not a livewell pump or water pressure pump (for like water systems on yachts).
Ditto on what last chance said too, heard good things about parmax. there about 80$ shipping included on ebay too

img3937n.jpg

Parmax is a Jabsco pump. I just bought the Parmax/Jabsco 5 and love it. Shop around, I found Parmax 4's for 185 in Nanamio and the Parmax 5 thru Parker for 180. Both of them being washdown systems. The Parmax 4 wash down is no longer made but may be found but why buy it when the Parmax 5 in a better pump. There is a place in Florida that costs 119 plus shiping. Be sure to mount above the water line and keep the pump dy. I ran a 3/4 inch hose with 90 degree fittings bought at Andrew Sheret out thru my thru hull where my cables for my motor are the down to the transducer plate. I have better presure then my hose at home.

I can't wait to spray some ahole down this summer.

I would like to install a washdown pump. I am really leary about DIY istalling a thru hull fitting in the boat. thought I might fish a hose through the cable boot with a check valve and weight out the back.
I was thinking I could just drop it in when I wanted to wash down.
I know it may not work when moving at speed. I am just not that conifident about putting holes in the boat.

Toughts....? Suggestions

MJ

quote:Originally posted by rmj002

I would like to install a washdown pump. I am really leary about DIY istalling a thru hull fitting in the boat. thought I might fish a hose through the cable boot with a check valve and weight out the back.
I was thinking I could just drop it in when I wanted to wash down.
I know it may not work when moving at speed. I am just not that conifident about putting holes in the boat.

Toughts....? Suggestions

MJ
I wouldn’t run a hose through the cable boot? And really wouldn’t stick any kind of hose or weight out the back, especially “remotely” close to any prop, with or without that engine running? That would be way to easy to forget about! Over the side, Maybe?

It really isn’t that hard installing a thru-hull and don’t worry… you won’t sink your boat, unless you really screw things up! Worst case, you might have a drip if you don't have it sealed correctly. Just so you know, "most" bilge pumps will easily handle water coming in “full flow” from a ¾ inch opening, at least until the battery runs down! Been there – done that! :)

I also wouldn’t get to hung-up on installing any thru-hulls (including one for a wash down pump) below the waterline? Might be what they are designed for! With that thought process, just pretend you have a submarine – now you wouldn’t mount anything, anywhere? I just don’t cut (or screw) anything to any part of my boat that I don’t consider it becoming a permanent part thereafter; to include, I seal “everything” with 3M 5200 Marine Adhesive Sealant.

To install a wash down pump, the easiest is to use an existing thru-hull (not being used for the engine) you can tap into it with a Y valve above the existing seacock? If you can’t do that… just get your drill out and drill a hole preferably, while the boat is out of the water, but that can actually be done (if needed) with the boat “in” the water - just have everything ready including a plug! The plug is to cut down on your anxiety – as the water starts rushing in! Just a note - Do you really think they pull 300-foot boats out to install a thru-hull fitting? They don't!

Now, I do prefer “bronze” thru-hull and seacock to other materials for obvious reasons they very seldom "crack"... and believe that would also be required on commercial boats in Canada. If you hit something hard enough to crack a bronze thru-hull you will probably have a lot more to worry about than a thru-hull leaking, especially if it has been sealed with 3M 5200? The only thing you really need to watch, are you dealing with NPT threads or NPS threads and remember NPT is not compatible with NPS threaded thru-hull fittings, unless the thru-hull fitting is machined with a "Combination Thread".

http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...talling+Thru-Hull+Fittings+and+Valves+-+Groco
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=2002&engine=adwords!6456&keyword=3m_5200_marine_adhesive_sealant
http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...oId=696&title=How-To+Install+a+Wash+Down+Pump

Concerning types of pumps, I currently have a “Shurflo Pro-Blaster” and have no complaints with it and could recommend it as well as the Jabsco Par-Max, which I have owned in the past. I have no complains about either, both are good products!

DSC01311-1-2.jpg

I have the same one charlie and have never really had any problems with them and have always put a tru hull the one that looks like 1/2 a clam with little slits in it that look like fingers so when im crusing you can still use it. the problem with a hose at the back if its not below the transom you cant use them this way as there is no water there when your crusing.

Just mount it somewhere and run the lines to it as ive heard they domt like being near water . I had mine mounted and hidden away from any excess water spray and elements and have never had one fail.
(just prorbablly jinxed my self now)

Good luck wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

where on a 17`6 double eagle would you put the thru hull hole??? only thing i can think of is beside the drain plug !!! any other ideas? as it has a sold floor with a fish locker.

tight lines

what i did was run the hose through the boot and then mounted the hose to the engine transom nut and it works awesome I don't care if I can't wash when traveling it's only to get the blood off and such

Reactions: TMT
Back