Wanting to start a salmon/halibut charter business

westburg

Hello there, what do I need to do in order to start a charter business...Courses, special insurance, registration as a charter and how and where do I go for this. Thanks everyone in advance

If you try using the advanced search function on this site......there have been a few threads about this exact topic.

You or whoever runs the boat will need SVOP, MED A3, ROC M and probably basic marine first aid.
You're boat will need to comply with small commercial passenger vessel regs. With regards to commercial vessels, the grace period for non compliance within the marine industry is over so you should go see Transport Canada and make sure you have everything up to speed.

seriously consider if you want to start a business that relies on DFO to allow you to work. The writing is on the wall and within 5 years there is going to be island wide closures and tight slots - frankly the entire saltwater scene is dying on VI and fast.

But if that doesn't scare you then marketing, marketing, marketing, people skills and also be able to catch fish - the catching fish part is the simplest of the equation.

I admire your enthusiasm, but I would be careful about a new charter business these days.
There is too much uncertainty handed down from DFO to really understand what your potential
will be in the years to come.
A serious investment in boat,tackle and other associated costs could be lost with closures
that limit fishing in the future.

on the other hand, you would be living the dream if it all worked out:)

When everyone is saying "no, no, no" might be an indication to go for it. Follow your gut. In every business things are changing and evolving. Adjust to the changes and make it fun. Live within your income. Put your game face on everyday and be what you want to become.

Many guys who get in it start out as sporties, and work their way into it. It's a wank to get the certification needed, I'd say it's harder to get a Drivers License in BC. I know, I have done both. A decent boat, you probably already have. Get it through Transport Canada (Not hard, done it twice), and make sure it has a toilet, and at least a nice heater if it's a cabin.

THe biggest thing you need to do is ensure your guests have a good time, and that you can get people on the boat. It's the simplest of business to set up, but it's a grueling run getting people on board over time. If you are good, it happens faster.

My advice:

1) Don't bother trying to put parties together. Very rarely works, feelings get hurt, etc ec. Your job is to run the gear and boat, keep your guests happy, and put them on fish. You are not an outings co-ordinator. Been there, done that, bought the T-Shirt. There are some business models that seem to work with this, but my experience is "save your time". If you are not pulling a wage out of a day of fishing, it's a hobby, not a biz. DOn't fall into the "Cover my costs so I can fish trap". Been there too.

2) Get GOOD Google advertising. Save money on magazines, posters, etc. I recommend Ben Nickles of Guardian Media solutions. You can turn off your Google ads in a hearbeat if you don't need them.

3) Do NOT do discount trips. Easy to fall into that that. Been there, done that. Set a good price where you feel good about what you are doing, and are motivated to work hard. That way, when the inevitable rod falls over the side, or something big goes *BOOM* you don't feel bad. Discount trips will be the most expensive ones you do. I have had several phone calls, and first it's the cost of the trip, then the cost of accommodation, and wait, they have to pay for a ferry to the island, and well, that sounds expensive, etc etc. This is the price. Sorry, business is business. Besides, your fellow guides will be one of the best business assets you have, when you do not undercut them, lo and behold, your phone starts ringing when they need other boats. Fishing reports, help on the water, the odd referral of a guest is well worth not charging %10 less then everyone else. And cheaper guys are far from the most heavily booked, I find.

My $0.02 from someone who has done it.

Last edited by a moderator:
SFI C-TAG is a good route to go. Supports the SFI, showcases your new business as being professional and a good steward of the resource, etc. The SFI C-TAG website lists the certification and assessment requirements for a tidal angling guide. Check out my website as well for a summary of the Transport Canada requirements for small commercial vessels. Send me a PM if you have any questions. If you haven't got the boat yet, I can give you a list of things to consider that will save you time and money down the road (TC compliance wise anyway). Really hoping it works out for you.

SFI C-TAG is a good route to go. Supports the SFI, showcases your new business as being professional and a good steward of the resource, etc. The SFI C-TAG website lists the certification and assessment requirements for a tidal angling guide. Check out my website as well for a summary of the Transport Canada requirements for small commercial vessels. Send me a PM if you have any questions. If you haven't got the boat yet, I can give you a list of things to consider that will save you time and money down the road (TC compliance wise anyway). Really hoping it works out for you.

I am a CTAG. what a bunch of malarkey! Ummmm...is this the prize in a Cracker Jack box?!

Ultimately, 99% of the experienced saltwater fishers on this board could write that challenge exam and pass it. The other certifications are 1 week in the classroom.

As for the original poster, research VERY carefully what market you intend to guide or set up your business in, then spend lots of money getting yourself established. Then watch for your competitors...many of who, are class acts...however...there is the other few...they'll run you down, cut you down, undercut you, undermine you, gang up on you, trash talk you, and so on and so forth because you're going to take market share...money out of their pocket and downgrade how they eat in the winter. I have seen all sides of this industry...some of the good, bad and ugly are on this board!

Word to the wise, just be prepared to spend lots of money and then time and more money getting your investment back.

Guy once asked what it would take to make a small fortune. Easy, an old salt told him: "Start with a large fortune and open a Fishing Guide business."

X2.

Can't say I've seen too many guides buying brand new smokin' fishing machines and then guiding for 3-4 months of the year then lying on a beach all winter.

Would anyone be able to recommend a good insurance for a commercial sport fishing boat in Vancouver? for a 27in aluminum boat and what the yearly price would be like

Would anyone be able to recommend a good insurance for a commercial sport fishing boat in Vancouver? for a 27in aluminum boat and what the yearly price would be like
It will depend on the boat's value, where it operates, the experience and qualifications of the skipper and claims history for the last 5 years

Back