Volvo Penta 320 gxi no start condition

ab1752

Crew Member
Hey all,

I have a 320gxi in our boat that exhibited a no start condition today. Boat ran great all Friday and Saturday then sat until this morning. Crank crank crank I knew it wasn't gonna catch. Swapped out the 20 h fuel filter, no start. I can hear the pumps priming so that's good. Checked all the engine bay fuses, connections on the harness and cleaned with contact cleaner. Still no start.

I then pulled the flame arrestor and pulled the injector wiring harnesses as its throttle body injected and it seems a bit greasy and mucky. Wiped things and cleaned the electrical connections then bam we have lift off.

I think I need to go at it with throttle body cleaner and give it a shot at cleaning. When it was running it seemed as though fuel was predominantly spraying on port side which I believe it typical at idle and up to something like 2500 rpms. Boat ran like a top back to town.

Sometimes I don't get the 2 Volvo beeps amd I think its fuel that's the issue. In the past year I replaced the fuel pumps, alternator and coil. High tension leads are 2 seasons old and new plugs this year when the manifolds were done.

I haven't put a fuel pressure gauge inline yet but that's my next task on the high pressure side. I'm hoping it's not the injectors but I'm open to any suggestions. They're easy to remove is there someone in town who can flow test these suckers?

Thanks for reading my own word wall!

Back