Vintage Spoons?

Ya know that you have a terrible hording issue when you have a box of OG spoons just laying around without a specific purpose. :)

That spoon by itself with the three red beads on it makes me want to say it's a Knobbly Wobbler spoon, from the 50's era I think.

I recall hearing about them from when I first moved to CR, in 1962.

Not sure though, and willing to be schooled.

Take care.

Edited to add:

Last night as I lay abed I had a mental flash as to what a Knobbly Wobbler looked like and it's not the same as the spoon pictured that I thought might be one.

Still like seeing all the old spoons that were used back in the day, though.

Last edited:
This spoon in an equal parts solution of white vinigar and disolved table salt. These results are after a 15 minute soak. No rubbing.

Then the same Gibbs Stewart brass #7 trolling spoon after 5 minutes of rubbing with a mixture of white vinegar, table salt and baking soda made into a paste. Rub on and rub off with a soft cloth. Wash with warm water and soap. Dry with towel. :)

Or save yourself the work and sell the #7s and #8’s to me so they can be fished in the Hallowed waters :)

Greg

That seems much quicker than my coke soak. I’ve got 15 or so done now and only 10 more rusty ones to get too.
Next summer we should do an (honor) old school only derby for half a day. Maybe Trooper can put up a new oldie as a prize. I have tried 3 times so far with the ones I cleaned up and only caught a pink so far. Keep in mind I usually get skunked so hi 5’s we’re flying. I’m loving this thread and keep picking my jaw off the floor seeing and learning of the oldies. I went to school with Matt James and need to go see him, as kids we worked for his dad (Radiant Lures) making spinners and buck tail flies for a penny a piece. Somehow I managed to never go fishing most of my life.

Thank you Stormtrooper for your tip about cleaning the spoons.
I need to clean all my vintage spoons.

Attachments

• 20191020_235433.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 48
I have quit a few old gibbs made salmon spoons that don't have the gibbs name stamped on them, They are really old spoons. Most of the newer gibbs spoons are marked with the gibbs name.

Back