Victoria Reports - Fall/Winter 2010/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

porcupine

This thread is open for 2010/2011 Fall/Winter fishing reports covering the waters from Cadboro Point to Albert Head.

Hi there

Im not from the area but I was thinking of heading there for some Winter Fishing. I was wondering what is the best month for Winter Springs and what kind of fihing I should expected. Also it looks like the Hali fishing in the winter months is pretty good. How far from the harbour do you guys go for Hali or Springs. Is there places to fish in protected water or is it pretty rough. I don't know what I would fell like on anchor for 8 hours in Big seas. Any info would be great...

Thanks
JAC

hewesonthefraser.jpg

As of today October 1st Coho retention for area 19 is two of which one
can be wild.
Caught and released a beautiful 15 pound wild Coho on Wednesday
off the waterfront, only two more days and I could've kept it; dammit.:D

quote:Originally posted by JAC

Hi there

Im not from the area but I was thinking of heading there for some Winter Fishing. I was wondering what is the best month for Winter Springs and what kind of fihing I should expected. Also it looks like the Hali fishing in the winter months is pretty good. How far from the harbour do you guys go for Hali or Springs. Is there places to fish in protected water or is it pretty rough. I don't know what I would fell like on anchor for 8 hours in Big seas. Any info would be great...

Thanks
JAC

hewesonthefraser.jpg

Its rough when its windy...... your welcome :D
On the board there has been mumblings about a looming closure on halis......but until I see a announcement. I don't believe

Im not from the area but I was thinking of heading there for some Winter Fishing. I was wondering what is the best month for Winter Springs

They usually show up off the waterfront mid to end of Nov. and remain
till March. i've found the best fishing to be Dec/Jan.
Use glow flasher,squirt and fish right off the bottom 150 to 200'.

Jac you'll find the east sooke,sooke area to be pretty effective for feeder springs & the seals much less of a problem! anywhere say pedder bay to sooke bluffs(off sooke harbour entrance) ask around or read the sooke forum to see where fish are in good #s good luck Sammy

Lot's of baitfish jumping on Constance saturday afternoon.
You could see big schools of them on the sounder, saw a couple
of boats trolling but most were anchored on the west side.

We ended up with a 34 lb halibut which was the only bite of the day.

One Butt each day off the bank 36, 37lbs...Sunday Monday.. and a 10lb king

nothing serious for winters yet Last Chance. I have heard of the odd 10 or 12 on the waterfront but no consistent action yet.

Not too Springy today, did catch a deep running Coho at 160'
mature female at about 7 lbs.
S.E. wind turned a glass calm morning into a mess on the
way back to Oak bay.

another skunking on the bank. does anyone know if these cordinates are in a good zone? been working this area the last few times and nothing........around 48 20' - 123 23'

thanks
dave

Currents were pretty strong Dave and hard to keep the gear down, but we hit ours after about 2 hours. gotta get that scent trail working.
will check GPS next time out and p.m you.

out on the bank today from 130 till 6 landed one hali around 35 but missed 3 or 4
and about a 6 ft octopus

well with the closing coming we went out wed and thurs to oak bay - it took a while on wed for the tides to settle but when we finally got our gear on the bottom my uncle got a 67, his first. On thursday we went earlier and got the first current slack - fished from about 1030 till 12 and got our two at 34,26, and its a good thing because it was starting to get pretty rough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back