Victoria 2014 Reports

Looks like Wolf is fishing Haro Strait for hali. Was that salmon caught at Constance?

Since I don't know the area well and it didn't go on my licence so you'll have to ask Wolf.

Last edited by a moderator:
Next year I will have to take Wolf up on his member's deal....

Family lives in Victoria so I fish there often and would love sharpen my skills.

So a buddy called me and asked why haven't you responded to guys post??? Ill be honest in saying didnt know they did?

But I did my last SFBC members trips and wanted to thank ALL of you for a great early season and to personally thank the guys I had to move due to my surgery that was all of a sudden, and for helping me set and lift the anchor it was much appreciated. Hope everyone enjoys the halibut and my recipes on my website.....Thanks to Dogbreath and crew for sharing with me fresh halibut was very good last night all 3 oz I had

I do this for SVIAC and to help fellow fisherman.
I really look forward every year to this and will continue to in the future.

Thanks again Guys

Good luck Wolf

Thanks Wolf!
What a blast it was to rip over to Victoria and back in such a short window and have such a great ( and successful) time on the water fishing with you over there. As if a limit of Hali to over 50lbs isn't enough, then we tie into a few Chinook and have a 1500 lb furry attempt a drive- by robbery on a Hali! Great shots Dogbreath, thx . I have a great action vid I may post on the fishing vids thread when I get a chance. I just got to figure out if I can "beep" out some of the audio during the chaos.......seems we were having way too much fun ;)

IMG_7076 head.jpgIMG_7054hali.jpg

Nice report there guys. makes me jealous.
hope to get in on a trip next year with you wolf.
its an awesome thing you do!
Tim

Three of us did this members special with Roy a couple of years back and did pick up one of his secret little tackle techniques which has proven to be a good one and which I won’t disclose but it was a good learning experience and that little tip alone was worth the trip. We also got three Hali to 50lbs and while we did not think to leave him some Hali and assumed possibility incorrectly he would have lots, we did leave him a good tip for getting us on those fish. Still learning the ins and outs of Halibut fishing and more importantly avoiding the potentially life and death risks associated with messing up on deep water anchoring in small boats in a strait known for heavy current and fast wind and wave changes.

More importantly, did you guys learn something about SVIAC during the trip? And what do you think?

As for fishing reports, fished for halis yesterday too off of Victoria and we had 2 halis to the boat - only one in the boat. Don't want to elaborate on that any further...lol Not as big as Wolf's buts though...

Out this morning chasing a halibut, got anchored up and oops no rod holders....hmmmm. Oh well got my 1 anyway in fairly short order.
gu7e3a9u.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice:cool:. I don't do the rod holder thing as well. Drift fish for em myself :).

Thanks for sharing. How much did it weigh? (Just curious not expecting and answer).

Cheers,
Sculpin

More importantly, did you guys learn something about SVIAC during the trip? And what do you think?

As for fishing reports, fished for halis yesterday too off of Victoria and we had 2 halis to the boat - only one in the boat. Don't want to elaborate on that any further...lol Not as big as Wolf's buts though...

Funny you say that Chris, we had two to the boat and only one made it in as well. The one that jumped in was barely hooked..... A fellow at the dock said that they had some that were short biting. Never heard of Hali's doing that - usually once they are hooked its over unless a poor gaff job is to blame. Anyone else experience shy Hali's this season?

Also my transducer was not accurate consistently throughout the trip. I know HC mid island is the place to go for help but any advice in SVI (Victoria) for someone to help troubleshoot Lowrance? It's an older head (LCX 110c) but it should still be able to keep up!

Also my transducer was not accurate consistently throughout the trip. I know HC mid island is the place to go for help but any advice in SVI (Victoria) for someone to help troubleshoot Lowrance? It's an older head (LCX 110c) but it should still be able to keep up!

I also have the LCX 110c with factory original transducer and it does not maintain bottom lock at high boat speed on the main motor. Slow down the boat and it locks on.

The only other time I have had any issues with accuracy, noise and bottom lock issues at slower speeds is when the boat has sat in the chuck for a long time, especially with little use in which case weed and barnacles grow on the transducer and need to be cleaned off. The transducer is off the Pod and we can usually clean it off in the water and get it working well again. The growth on the transducer issue causing a problem is an uncommon event for us but has happened a couple of times over years when the boat has been in the water for months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny you say that Chris, we had two to the boat and only one made it in as well. The one that jumped in was barely hooked..... A fellow at the dock said that they had some that were short biting. Never heard of Hali's doing that - usually once they are hooked its over unless a poor gaff job is to blame. Anyone else experience shy Hali's this season?

Interestingly enough, I had this same thing on Sunday with my son. First, bait was being stolen off the hooks...which could have been dogs. Then, we got a really nice fish on...got it to about 15' under the water and could see it was a nice 30-40lb hali....then it just did a little jiggle and was gone....it was heartbreaking. This was after doing 2 big runs backdown to bottom from part way up, so I assumed it was well hooked the way it was screaming line. Oh well.

Both our hali on sunday were barely lip hooked. One I just got the gaff through it before the hook fell out. Also had some nibbles which could have been anything.

Interestingly enough, I had this same thing on Sunday with my son. First, bait was being stolen off the hooks...which could have been dogs. Then, we got a really nice fish on...got it to about 15' under the water and could see it was a nice 30-40lb hali....then it just did a little jiggle and was gone....it was heartbreaking. This was after doing 2 big runs backdown to bottom from part way up, so I assumed it was well hooked the way it was screaming line. Oh well.

Two possible theories may be , transient halibut have moved into the strait to feed. or fish are not feeding heavily due to the softer currents for the last few weeks.

beemer

Back