Upset about the Chinook Closures? What to do next?

Heck I’d just report it on the poaching line and let DFO sort it out. They seem to have problems disseminating information! Sometimes on purpose so as not to raise embarrassing questions. But maybe even if it’s legal they’ll start getting the hint that their site isn’t exactly user friendly.

Like ziggy said, just report them every time you see them and let DFO sort it out

Thanks...
also post pictures and or video on social media. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter. If you don't want to, or can't send them to a friend who can.

The First Nations have limited ceremonial netting until July 14th. Netting Ramps up after July 15View attachment 45182
I have said it before....to stop all recreational chinook fishing until July 15 or 31 to allow Fraser River chinook to get to the river then allow FN to ramp up their chinook river fishery once they start to go up the river makes no sense what so ever!!!
All it means is more Chinook in the river to be harvested by FN with little or no benefit for future runs!

Although some of those hog operations are disgusting at the same time that’s private property, they should all be charged with trespassing

I have said it before....to stop all recreational chinook fishing until July 15 or 31 to allow Fraser River chinook to get to the river then allow FN to ramp up their chinook river fishery once they start to go up the river makes no sense what so ever!!!
All it means is more Chinook in the river to be harvested by FN with little or no benefit for future runs!

No it does not but it looks like that is indeed what is going to happen.

July 15, is when the netter ramps up. This is their self report numbers

upload_2019-4-28_18-34-23.png
upload_2019-4-28_18-34-50.png

upload_2019-4-28_18-35-53.png
upload_2019-4-28_18-36-35.png

What's the population of FN bands from PT mann to sawmill? Curious how many fish per person the "keepers of the land" take of specifically in trouble stocks?

Information forwarded to me at 7:30 this evening, April 29. Native gillnetter fishing at Wellington point west of Ladner, top of Canoe Pass Arm of the South Fraser.Picture taken at 7:04 this evening, net partially picked up, CFV No. 24797. Blue hulled Double Eagle boat with a white cabin.

Native-gillnetter-on-Lower-Fraser-Lic-24797-April-29-7-04-PM.jpg
[/url]

Between mission and the canyon 700 gill nets and 1400 aboriginal fishermen.

Oh I read the question wrong, not sure how many fish per person,

I have read for individual events DFO approves 1 sockeye per 6 people.

Not sure what their annual amount is, think it changes in season based on negotiation and abundance

The reality tho is these First Nations don’t need food they need money. They are city dwelling First Nations not substance First Nations in the middle of no where. They don’t fish for food they fish for cash to pay bills .

Last edited:
So the local MP from North Island Powell River, and the MP from Courtenay Alberni were questioning Jonathan Wilkinson during question period, yesterday, I believe. Got this from Rachel Blaney. That's all great, but the problem is that all these politicians still don't get that the incredible Chinook fishing that we have enjoyed the last 5 yeas or so was mostly based on hatchery production from ECVI hatcheries and some on the lower Fraser. When you look at the numbers of upper Fraser Chinook captured in J.D.F. and S.O.G fisheries, it's nothing compared to what goes on in the FSC fisheries and poaching going on in the Fraser.

So the local MP from North Island Powell River, and the MP from Courtenay Alberni were questioning Jonathan Wilkinson during question period, yesterday, I believe. Got this from Rachel Blaney. That's all great, but the problem is that all these politicians still don't get that the incredible Chinook fishing that we have enjoyed the last 5 yeas or so was mostly based on hatchery production from ECVI hatcheries and some on the lower Fraser. When you look at the numbers of upper Fraser Chinook captured in J.D.F. and S.O.G fisheries, it's nothing compared to what goes on in the FSC fisheries and poaching going on in the Fraser.

Yep - nice rant but they've completely missed the point! By harping on the past, they gave Wilkinson the opportunity to tout the $140 million they've announced - made it sound like a very positive story.
The point is that the decision to close the SOG to fishing is NOW and is having an immediate effect on those whose livelihoods depend on the public fishing industry. Johns and Blaney should have challenged Wilkinson on the decision to close the fishery in spite of the fact that the closure will have virtually no impact on the early Fraser runs - but it will have a significant impact on the economies of the communities they represent. They should have challenged Wilkinson on his previous statements that Fisheries will rely on science to guide their decisions, yet the science does not support this decision. Instead, they gave him the opportunity to blather about the money they have "committed" to deal with habitat restoration.

Yeah it was basically a rant that chinook are in crisis.

Problem is that’s just such a good narrative they have a hard time articulating the actual management issues.

But how do you sum up the issue in 60 seconds.

I guess a better question would of been how come you closing fishing in areas of the coast where chinook stocks are healthy.

I wrote Rachel Blaney again yesterday, explaining that there are plenty of un-marked hatchery Chinook in S.O.G. Both she and Gord Johns seem to be missing the point. It's a manufactured crisis created to support the government's unscientific position that unless there is non-retention, that the exploitation rate on the stocks of concern will be too high. One does not have to look to far up this thread to see where the real exploitation is taking place.

Back