Toquart Bay

CVmike

Just read a front page article in the news paper that they've shut down the campsite due to arsenic contamination on the beach. Toquart bay is a very popular shell fish picking area.... Just a month ago I went and stocked up and had a good feast of arsenic oysters lol I wonder how many other people have done the same? Its a scary thought to say the least.

Edited; Just realized this has been posted on another thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
From the mine that was there I believe I heard

Wonder what the impact was on local fish stocks . Clearly it can't be positive.

I just heard about this today..
Here is the link with the warniing on eating shellfish

"Health officials recommend that the consumption of shellfish or fish from the campground’s foreshore be avoided until further testing is conducted. Any shellfish or fish products from this specific site that may be in your freezer should be discarded and not consumed."
http://toquahtbay.com/2013-images/CampgroundClosureInformationBulletinFAQs.pdf

I got a few containers of shucked oysters ill have to chuck, or maybe ill boil them and use them a flounder bait so they dont completely go to waste.

Slow down John. The holocaust isn't happening. This stuff has been there for 40years and everyone's kids have been playing in it (the beach) and eating shellfish. Might not have been the best thing but we don't need to be concerned about Oysters leaching toxic levels.

I haven't seen any two headed kids wandering around lately...

well whats happening can we launch there yet the closure was supposed to be temporary? I can understand closing the campground but the boat launch also ?

I called the band office.. Have not heard back.. Called the new camp area.. No answer back... Alot of us in the area just need the pay parking and to be able to pick up customers..almost 11 miles one way to ukee to pick up customers and supplies.. It sucks.

Back