"split shot " or " lead "

S

slab

Was wondering whats your thoughts on weight, I would rather use split shot myself. Whats the difference bettween lead and splitshot? I figure lead may be better for snaging up but, I think the splitshot drifts through the water better. What do you think?

Personally, we should be moving to a ban of lead weight systems. The toxic build-up over years of fishing can't be contributing positively to the reproduction abilities of the salmonoids...not to mention the odd anchor that is inadvertantly left behind. I'm experimenting with steel shot in a slinky, but, can't find an easy or cheap supply as of yet. And in this vein, I find slinkys (lead loaded or otherwise) most snag resistant. Both pencil lead and split shot catch on the rocks a little more and help slow the drift down which is desireable in some cases. There are alternatives to lead out there, but, their greater cost may prevent some from using an expensive item that gets regularly left behind. IMHO.

I have been watching the painfully slow introduction to the use of toungston for the past 15 years now as a substitute for lead.

There are several alternatives out there , but your right they are pricey.

It will be made law eventually anyway.

As for split vs. pencil lead......... well split is definitely a more covert presentation if done properly. However I like the connection with the bottom as the pecil lead "dinks" along from rock to rock. Makes it very obvious that I am in the correct zone for those Steelies. Besides, if those split do hang up , well then you are going to lose the whole shabang.

Pencil lead is usually rigged in a way that it will trip from yor main line resulting in far less loss. IMHO

There's no doubt that steel shot is significantly lighter than lead so you have to use more of it. Also it reflects light in the water.

If we are concerned about lead from fishing then we should really be concerned about the merganser hunting... and speaking of shot, steel shot also blows for shooting birds... not as much punch as lead.

Theres always the theory of pinching the split shot on your line, could weeken it, if your not careful
I like Pencil lead seems to be better for drifting
as for slinkies, work awesome can be time consuming to make and a little more $ but looks nice and does the job like pencil lead. and seems to hang up less it comes down to how you are applying the lead to your mainline Some guys put the mainline through there lead, soem use surgical tubing, some use split shot
SPlit shot works well for water that does not have a lot of places to hang up
HL has a point about the hang ups and losing everything or likely will have to re tye once you get it back
It seems like split shot is most popular with guys fishing Pins

The only reason i dont use slpit is the fact that it usually breaks at the shot if ya hang up and spend a lot of time retying. I used to use the surgical tubing and lead but found that hangs up too much well.. Switched to threading the line through the lead and the amount of gear lost went down considerably, still havent lost a float yet this year...... just been tying on new leaders

quote:Originally posted by Lipripper

The only reason i dont use slpit is the fact that it usually breaks at the shot if ya hang up and spend a lot of time retying. I used to use the surgical tubing and lead but found that hangs up too much well.. Switched to threading the line through the lead and the amount of gear lost went down considerably, still havent lost a float yet this year...... just been tying on new leaders
what do you mean threading the line through the leader?

I wouldnt even consider using split or pencil lead, I like to spend time fishing not re-tying gear. Not to mention how a massive chunk of lead scares fish away....

threading the line through the lead (pencil) above the swivel

quote:Originally posted by ChromeSweetChrome

I wouldnt even consider using split or pencil lead, I like to spend time fishing not re-tying gear. Not to mention how a massive chunk of lead scares fish away....

I concur. It is slinkys all the way for me. Attached to a three way swivel with a berkley snap, they rarely hang up & when they do, you can usually pull & twist them out. I switched over from pencil lead about 10 years ago & have never looked back. Honestly can't remember the last time I lost a weight in the river.

slinkys eh! that may sound like the way to go, but one question do you slay the fish or what. I find when I run spilt I get more fish. for example I can drift the cow and be into 9 fish my buddy beside me running the same gear just lead instead of split and be into 4. Thinking maybe its the operator I'll run lead next trip my buddy will run split and he will be into twice the amount of fish! maybe luck or maybe skill but they still snag up way too much and drives me nuts.

quote:Originally posted by Roe Bags

Slinkys?? Hmmmm...Not for me our crew, but hey whatever works....I guess??;)
what do you prefer to use?

quote:Originally posted by slab

slinkys eh! that may sound like the way to go, but one question do you slay the fish or what. I find when I run spilt I get more fish. for example I can drift the cow and be into 9 fish my buddy beside me running the same gear just lead instead of split and be into 4. Thinking maybe its the operator I'll run lead next trip my buddy will run split and he will be into twice the amount of fish! maybe luck or maybe skill but they still snag up way too much and drives me nuts.

We seem to do O.K. Here are a few pics:

100_0350.jpg

clint8.jpg

tony5.jpg

tony11.jpg

100_0354.jpg

Wow now those are impressive pics!! Lined Coho in ditch low warm water out of a GUIDE "Nicks" boat while he parks in 3 feet of water above the island just below Mossy tree. Now thats sporting, if were talking terminal, dosent really matter what your using when ur flossing. A bare hook works well huh? Or you one of those guys that thinks there biting your green, red, orange wool..Real sporting, common man we were doing that **** as kids!! Booring, but I guess whatever turns your Crank.. More into Hitting remote West coast streams in my OWN sled these days..The newbie stuff doesnt do it for our crew!!:D

quote:Originally posted by Roe Bags

Wow now those are impressive pics!! Lined Coho in ditch low warm water out of a GUIDE "Nicks" boat while he parks in 3 feet of water above the island just below Mossy tree. Now thats sporting, if were talking terminal, dosent really matter what your using when ur flossing. A bare hook works well huh? Or you one of those guys that thinks there biting your green, red, orange wool..Real sporting, common man we were doing that **** as kids!! Booring, but I guess whatever turns your Crank.. More into Hitting remote West coast streams in my OWN sled these days..The newbie stuff doesnt do it for our crew!!:D

Funny, I see a lot of big talk, but never a pic of anything. I guess some people just like to blow their own horn. Makes for great stories though. No need to read B.C. Outdoors anymore!! ( except for the pics I guess )

Sure, we fish with our FRIEND Nick in his boat. What's wrong with that?? Not everybody owns a sled. Good thing too, the Stamp is already crowded enough.:) I'm just thrilled for you that you have your own boat.I hope you & your "crew" have hours of "fun" together on those remote streams.[:p] Whatever turns your crank.:D DEFINITELY not into that newbie stuff!!:D

Here are a few steelhead pics caught from shore. Hope that makes you happier.:)

tony8.jpg

tony7.jpg

100_0041.jpg

Back