Skate

We found a halibut spot this year that has been consistently great to us but we have also been catching skate there quite regularly. I keep hearing their wings are a delicacy but have never heard it from someone who has actually tried it. We have been just gently releasing the alien looking creatures back to the depths. Does anyone here retain and eat skate?

Caught this one 2 weeks ago at Constance. We released it unharmed. Figure it was 4 feet across and 5 feet long.
Nearly ripped the rod out of my hand.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 356
Thanks for the link BGM ! It didn't come up when I did the search.
Sir Reel, I agree on the hard hit... then a long slow fight ( similar to a large Octopus ). Cool pic!

Last edited by a moderator:
Way back when...I used to cook at the Kettle of Fish in Van, we would have skate wings on the menu.
We would sauté them in butter and then squeeze some lemon in at the end...they were decent enough for sure.

those rings on wings identify it as a big skate itried some once just watery notaste awful stuff used to be myths about scallop taste but just an old myth to justify keeping one

Skate is very tasty and you just need to take the fillets of the cartilage so it is a bit labour intensive. The classic french way of cooking it is with capers and a brown butter sauce. Regardless they are wonderful to eat and I would certainly not hesitate to take one.

Back