Shore fishing around the island

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fishing Forum' started by Brent Ashton DeLuca, May 22, 2020 at 6:12 PM.

1. Brent Ashton DeLuca

Brent Ashton DeLuca New Member

I have been trying to shore fish like have all around the world but i just cant seem to figure it out here. any suggestions? -Brent. vancouver island

Huyfishin and John Ingram like this.
  2. John Ingram

John Ingram Active Member

Evening Brent,
    There are a lot of sites around Victoria for you to try. You may have already tried a few.
    The best ones are listed below:

Ogden Point Breakwater. (good depth but lots of kelp)
    Saxe point Park (shallow water/ fish the far right side of the park)
    Finlayson Point (shallow water, rocks and kelp)
    Clover Point (shallow water, rocks and kelp)
    Ross Bay (shallow water)
    Harling Point Park (shallow to fair depth good to fish on a high tide, some kelp
    McNeil Bay ( Kitty Island) (shallow at low tide lots of kelp at times and can be a fast current)
    Oak Bay Golf Course (Gonzales Point) ( below the ninth hole. good water depth but can be lots of kelp)
    Oak bay Marina and Turkey Head (shallow water some kelp)
    Cattle Point Park (shallow)
    Ten Mile Point (deep water, lots of current at times and some kelp)
    Finnerty Cove (deeper water, some kelp)
    Gordon Point (deeper water , some kelp)
    Cormorant Point (shallow water, usually no kelp)

My favorites are Gonzales Point and Ten Mile Point

You should be able to find them on a good Victoria map. Come August we will be able to retain salmon at these places.

Last edited: May 22, 2020 at 6:48 PM
    KCW, Thiago, hippaisland and 2 others like this.
  3. Cuba Libre

Cuba Libre Well-Known Member

Campbell River fishing pier

4. Ken J

Ken J Active Member

5. profisher

profisher Well-Known Member

Otter Point in Sooke

6. Thiago

Thiago New Member

Dogbreath likes this.
  7. Huyfishin

Huyfishin Member

This is a really good thread for us shore fisherman. Keep all this info comming and I can consolidate everything on a easy to read table!

8. Rusty Hook

Rusty Hook Member

Beechy Head in east sooke park is good for salmon. Go there in Aug and fish in that little bay off the west side of Beechy Head. It can get crowded there but everyone is friendly. Also I can fish all day there and not lose one lure. I have heard otter point is good but every time I go there I just lose lure after lure.

Thiago likes this.
  9. John Ingram

Beechy Head and Otter point are great spots. Beechy Head is a bit of a hike to get to. And trying to lug a 20# salmon and gear
    over those hills and through the bush is not to much fun anymore. Otter point is good but you have to get there before everyone else get's
    there just to find a spot to park I'll leave those spots for special occasions.
    My favorite spot is the Golf Links or Ten Mile Point. I used to start fishing these two in May and fish right through to September but because of the
    closures and catch and release. I will only fish there in August and part of September now. I don't do catch and release.

10. Thiago

Thiago New Member

Where is the best spot at ten Miles point?

11. eroyd

eroyd Well-Known Member

At the end of White Rock Rd. Don't bother during heavy tides.

Thiago likes this.
  12. John Ingram

Limited parking at Ten Mile Point. At best 6-7 spots if there are no tourists,contractors or divers there.
    Very fast current left to right at times. If you cast to the far left you will retrieve at the far right. Best at a slack tide.
    Deep water. At a long cast at high tide I think the depth is over 100' Not to much kelp to worry about.

Thiago likes this.
  13. blueugl

blueugl Member

14. Brent Ashton DeLuca

Brent Ashton DeLuca New Member

I was also really curious of what type of tide is best to fish in?

15. MadJigga

MadJigga Crew Member

Slack

16. tinboatrobb

tinboatrobb Well-Known Member

John. Don't be surprised when you get to your spots and there are a dozen newbies there.. lol.

John Ingram and eroyd like this.
  17. John Ingram

Evening TBR. Didn't happen last year I had the Gonzales Point all to myself.. I think I only saw 3 other fishermen there the whole month of August.
    Plus....I always like to help out the newbies on the ways of the buzz bomb and zinger. There is room there to comfortably fish 5-6 people if
    you are careful and know how to cast a lure.

Draehosek and Thiago like this.
  18. tinboatrobb

tinboatrobb Well-Known Member

Oh I know. I used to fish the golf course and 10 mile for years starting in the mid 70,s. Back then it was awesome.