Scotty Downrigger Customer Service

sudsy

Hey guys, i just wanted to put this out there and share this positive experience i have had with Scotty Downrigger today.

I purchased 2 brand new 2106B last year and since owning them i have gone through 3 digital displays. The first one was after 1 week of use and i called the scotty 1800 number and had one mailed to me (sooke). The 2nd one i brought it in to Eagle Eye, and this last one, i decided to bring it directly to scotty.

I feel pretty lucky that i live close enough to be able to bring them directly to scotty service department. I was dealing with Andrew and had spoke with him over the phone about my issue. He gave me 2 options, either mail me out a replacement digital counter or bring it in to him and he would replace it, and give the downrigger an annual maintenance check. I decided that a trip to sidney would be worth it and packed up both my downriggers.

I arrived at 11am and explained the issue i was having, i also let them know i was from sooke, and they were super accommodating saying they would complete the service within an hour to save me another trip out from sooke. I had read somewhere online that some people were installing the old manual counters in these as a backup. I brought this up to andrew, and he said he would install them for me free of charge.

I cannot say enough about scottys customer service, i have owned down riggers from scotty since 2002 and will continue to support this brand as they stand behind their product 100%

I went in to pick up my downriggers around 1200, they replaced both digital counters, gave me two new spares (incase they die again) and installed manual counters for backup under the lids.

Here is a picture, the mount is already there for one with the HPs. You will need to remove the lid as there is no hole on the lid to see the depth.

Atleast now if my digital goes down, I can keep fishing while I swap out the spare and keep a depth.

Attachments

• Resized_20190618_170952(1).jpeg
    Resized_20190618_170952(1).jpeg
    414.7 KB · Views: 184
I bet Scotty wishes they never went with the digital counter. I wonder how many thousands of those things they've had to replace. Thankfully they are good about it! Great company!

My buds only gone through one over 3 or 4 years. It sure is nice to have the reset/Tare for when you need to swap line or cut a bunch off.

Unless I’m missing an easy way to reset the manual counter to 0’ haha

I’ve gone through 5 digital displays on my two down riggers since I bought them new. Scotty’s been great on replacing them. I now keep two spares on board. I had one of my auto switch on one the down riggers go two weeks ago. That sucked. Had to run to breakers in Bamfield to get a new one. So now I’ll be carrying a spare switch on board. There was no sign of it going. Just didn’t work in the morning.

I can second custom service. I have a pair of the 2106 and recently had a counter go on me. I called scotty and they Express post me a replacement the same day at no cost. Didnt even need proof of when I bought it.

That's customer service.

If you’re thinking of what spare parts to carry , couple of years ago a Nootka I had a Scotty downrigger die on me , luckily I keep a voltage meter with me , but end up checking everything,plug, cord, ended up being a little metal voltage regulator that had corroded, inside the unit
Thankfully the good people at Critter Cove let me go through their boneyard of parts and found one , saved the fishing trip for me , otherwise it would have been back to banana weights
So I now have a couple of spares on board

My wish is they would have a reset button on the counter , if you got to change a cable on the water , resetting it sucks ,
So now I make sure I have a grandkid with me and make them do it.

I have had great luck with my counter on my 2106"s .. touch wood 1 counter 5 seasons :)

Last edited:
6 in 5 years for me. Although two of them started working after a bit after replacing them. Maybe moisture inside dried out.

Those of you who haven't had trouble are lucky as hell, everyone I know with 2106s has been through multiple counters.

I can’t understand why they haven’t made their supplier fix the problem with those counters.
I got about 7 years out of my depth counters, so pretty good.
I just replaced the battery in mine.
Very easy
The lithium battery is about an inch right of the sensor wires and just below the epoxy.
Boil depth counter in a pot of water for 10 minutes and epoxy is easy to remove
I used a sharp knife to cut under the contacts on the + and - sides of battery.
The battery is an unusual one, but I replaced it with a CR2032 from the dollar store.
As long as the battery is 3volts, the counter does not care.
Re-potted with some caulking and good to go.
Now i just need to open the caulking when I need to change the battery.
Its ridiculous that they made this without the ability to replace the battery.
But I like my down-riggers, they have served me well!

Back