salt in pee hole?

B

baz

hey everyone,
ive got a 94sih 4 stoke yammie 9hp kicker
ive got my boat at oakbay marina and havent been out fishing for a while.
but i go down twice a week an run the engines (idling)
i noticed a few weeks ago that the stream of the kicker was more like a spit. then last week no water what so ever.
is it salt build up? or should i pull the boat an look at the impeller?

Could be salt crystallized in the water tubes...
get a can of compressed air from Monk or Staples
(they use it for cleaning computer keyboards)

Start the motor and stuff the plastic straw up the P-tube and give it a couple of good long blasts.

This has worked well for me.

Could be salt crystallized in the water tubes...
get a can of compressed air from Monk or Staples
(they use it for cleaning computer keyboards)

Start the motor and stuff the plastic straw up the P-tube and give it a couple of good long blasts.

This has worked well for me.

But I would have a look at that impeller too. I just lost one on my main engine -- fortunately no damage. I've read some recommendations that the impeller should be changed roughly every 2 years or 200 hours.

But I would have a look at that impeller too. I just lost one on my main engine -- fortunately no damage. I've read some recommendations that the impeller should be changed roughly every 2 years or 200 hours.

You can take a little 5-6 inch wire and shove it up your peehole![:eek:)]

Take only what you need.

You can take a little 5-6 inch wire and shove it up your peehole![:eek:)]

Take only what you need.

Start with blowing the tell tail hole out first or pop it off on the inside from the plastic (LOL pee hole) as thats where it usually blocks up but be prepared as it will pee on you fast, the impellers on the yammy 9.9 hardly ever has to be replaced as the way they sre consructed small with many fins and cetered on.
On a big motor yes as they have a huge chunk of rubber and the fins break down easily its best to have a big motor run lots than sit as then the rubber gets stiff and then after of not using it then poof gone.I change the big moter every year before each season.

BTW the water temp should be warmish as but not hot if it is there is other problems

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Start with blowing the tell tail hole out first or pop it off on the inside from the plastic (LOL pee hole) as thats where it usually blocks up but be prepared as it will pee on you fast, the impellers on the yammy 9.9 hardly ever has to be replaced as the way they sre consructed small with many fins and cetered on.
On a big motor yes as they have a huge chunk of rubber and the fins break down easily its best to have a big motor run lots than sit as then the rubber gets stiff and then after of not using it then poof gone.I change the big moter every year before each season.

BTW the water temp should be warmish as but not hot if it is there is other problems

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

I've always religiously flushed both engines after each trip. Even with flushing I’d sometimes get a build up of salt that would at least partially block the flow from the pee hole. For the last few years I’ve been using Salt-Away after it was recommended to me. It works great, it’s easy and I’ve never had a problem since.
http://www.saltawayproducts.com/

I've always religiously flushed both engines after each trip. Even with flushing I’d sometimes get a build up of salt that would at least partially block the flow from the pee hole. For the last few years I’ve been using Salt-Away after it was recommended to me. It works great, it’s easy and I’ve never had a problem since.
http://www.saltawayproducts.com/

You can try all of the above, but the yammy 9.9 has small water ports and the salt crystallizes and your hooped. It happened with an old 9.9 i had, i got Marc from Runabout marine to take it apart to unplug the ports. Another buddy last year, same thing but on a 9.9 the was only 3yrs old. If all else fails call Marc. 744-9720

Tournament Proven !

You can try all of the above, but the yammy 9.9 has small water ports and the salt crystallizes and your hooped. It happened with an old 9.9 i had, i got Marc from Runabout marine to take it apart to unplug the ports. Another buddy last year, same thing but on a 9.9 the was only 3yrs old. If all else fails call Marc. 744-9720

Tournament Proven !

well i went and bought a can of spray air, got down to the boat and it wasnt blocked anymore,.awsome,...
thanks for all the helpful advice just incase it happened again!!!

quote:Originally posted by wolf

Good luck Wolf

Rule of thumb,
If the water temp coming out of the pee hole is hotter than pee,
It's time to shut her down.

So Tortuga, unless you are willing to pee in your hand, how do you know what temperature pee is and how often do you check......:D SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Striper Sniper

So Tortuga, unless you are willing to pee in your hand, how do you know what temperature pee is and how often do you check......:D SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Those are valid points S.S.
This was a quote from my old mechanic (R.I.P. [V])
Now that I think of it I do check quite a bit, especially before a trip and when flushing out a motor.
If your hand is burning while checking for pee temperature, you have serious problems either way, and need to get it checked out.....:D

A burning sensation when you pee is indeed a serious problem!!!

Take only what you need.

Back