Rod Repair

sfisher

I have an Okuma 6'6 hali rod that's unfortunately lost 10inches off of it, Is this even repairable? Curious if anyone knows someone In the Victoria area .

I have an Okuma 6'6 hali rod that's unfortunately lost 10inches off of it, Is this even repairable? Curious if anyone knows someone In the Victoria area .
Do you still have the piece that was broken off ??? If so it can be repaired with an over sleeve/ possibly an inner sleeve repair.

just add a new tip top to it. might be different for a fly rod or steelhead drift rod but halibut rods are already like pool cues so it's not going to change the action much

Going to look into that , I didn't think I could do that as I lost so much of the rod , obviously it wont be a full 6'6 anymore but should still work as intended? It was an expensive rod so would like to get it back in action. What shop in Victoria has these ? Assuming Trotac is a good start.

I have an Okuma 6'6 hali rod that's unfortunately lost 10 inches off of it...

scrap and use old guides for rebuild ..on others
would make a good tomato plant cane ....lol
as derby states new rod time and try look after it this time.
dont let rods knock against edges as thats where they tend to get damage especially if a carbon glass mix.

IF you are cheap just get someone or yourself to put an eye on the tip and fish it 10 inches shorter.

Many hali rods have a lighter action on the tip and are stiffer as you move towards the butt. I suspect you would just end up with a stiff stick. Easy enough to put a tip on yourself as an experiment.

Thanks for all the tips/info.
I will call mike up in nanoose and see what he says , might just try adding a tip and see how it works.

Andy at custom rod builders 250-544-8880 on Willis Point rd in Vic is really good. Like has been mentioned 10” is significant so it may be beyond repair or cost prohibitive.

He has repaired and done warranty work on a few rods for me over the years

I believe Outfitters does rod work too, I would buy a new rod from Trotac !!

Andy at custom rod builders 250-544-8880 on Willis Point rd in Vic is really good. Like has been mentioned 10” is significant so it may be beyond repair or cost prohibitive.

He has repaired and done warranty work on a few rods for me over the years

I believe Outfitters does rod work too, I would buy a new rod from Trotac !!
In July, Island Outfitters put a new tip on an old trolling rod for under $10 while I waited. A couple of years ago they weren't doing that work, and sent me to Success Tackle in Mill Bay - fellow works from his basement, and is reasonable - he will also trade for work done [he rebuilds old rods and reels and has lots for sale] - Barry @ 250 743-3782.

Can't comment on how the rod will be with that much gone. I'd say fix the old one, and keep it for a spare after you get your Christmas present.

Back