Replacing fuel tank double eagle

I just cut out the floor for a friends Double Eagle, removed the tank and made a fish locker and installed a 25Gal tank in the bow and installed a new filler neck.

Thanks to all for the replies so far. I'm hoping to keep things original so want to put the tank back where it was. Just trying to see if there is a stock poly tank out there that will work and hoping some DE owners might weigh in on the job difficulty for this specific boat. Its had a long haul as a cabin commuter work boat and is a bit tired and still has a too long list of jobs ; just like me!. Its a tight space height wise and that creates s problem once you get away from a stock tank Tank height is about 6.75" . Should look similar to this from another post on this website. Double eagle floor.jpeg
If you look at the photo , you can understand I'm a bit concerned about what went through the fuel line hole and into the inaccessible compartment aft of the tank. Yes, the fuel level was that high.

As for JB Weld, they make a tank repair putty that they say is suitable for gas tank repair. I've used Seal All in the past but since I have a stick of JB Weld form another project sitting around, I thought I'd give it a try since I do plan this to be temporary . Worst case is it leaks again.

Brad

Reactions: abl
Brad, I’d the best fix here is to buy BCI’s Grady White sailfish. Problem solved!

I have a poly tank in my DE I’ve sent a text to the previous owner to see where he got his and any details he might have about the process. Mine is a stern mount tank and I have no problems with it, but I’m definitely a believer that a bow tank has a big advantage with balancing weight.

Good luck with the hunt.

When I replaced the tank in my Seasport (not leaking just did it before it happened) I took the old one to Peter Gustin and he built a new one exactly the same so the re & re was a breeze.

Poco marine supply's in Port Coquitlam supply's tanks for double eagle and his price is reasonable for aluminum tanks I bought one from him a couple years ago and it slid right in my 98 176 no issues

Bought a DE 185 about 10 yrs ago . After I parked it and my buddy and I were going over it I smelled gas . Opened up the hatch under the floor and the aluminum tank was rotten and gas was everywhere . Made myself a Stainless steel tank at work

Reactions: Fox
Not Victoria but Vancouver about 15 years ago I had a tank from a 1990 DE 176 replaced at DE just before they moved out of their Richmond plant. At that time Broadway Welding was making their aluminum tanks for their boats and I went over to the welding shop and picked it up and brought it down to the boat.

http://www.broadwayweldingshop.com/products.html

..... from the website it looks like they still build boat tanks so I'd bet they have the fuel tank specs for DE fuel tanks still.

(DE was so accomodating when they were in Richmond - they actually let me work on the boat re-sealing the transom moulding and a few other repairs as they worked on the fuel tank re & re and flooring .....nice working in the warmth of their plant during winter)

IMG_7006tank.jpg IMG_7005floor.jpg IMG_7004tankfloor.jpg

Any trick to removing the fiberglass fuel tank cover on a 176 DE? I've pulled all the screws out and cut away all the sealant on the side of the cover. I then used a long steel bar to bridge between the gunnels, and a steel rod under the removable access hatch hole, and tried to ratchet strap the cover up... no luck. Appreciate any help.

Had the same issue couldn't pry up the cover and eas worried about cracking it I ended up taking it to Sherwood marine in Victoria and with a lot of persuasion they were able to break the seal

Had the same issue in my 18.6, used a very sharp exacto knife and worked at it slowly, seams like the sealer "ran" in the lip and became solid. I had a small pin hole, welded them up and put tank back in. Did find the exact fit from Moeller at West Marine when they were in Vic. Expensive, availability was unknown. Welding worked, your pics look "scary" my boats an 07 so looked good when I opened the floor up. Good luck.

HM

Ethanol in fuel will eat JB weld. Only a few epoxies are ethanol safe. If you want to make sure.. Mix some epoxy on a screw and let it dry, then stick it in a jar of fuel for a week.. if its soft. Its a no go. Cheers.

For anyone else encountering a difficult deck cover. This worked out well. Two bottle jacks, 3’ piece of C-channel steel, and 2 18” pieces of 3/4” HSS tubing that I slid behind the access hatch hole. Cover was well sealed down to the deck.

Attachments

• A0B3380C-B901-4F69-A5E6-61DDF60DA9D9.jpeg
    A0B3380C-B901-4F69-A5E6-61DDF60DA9D9.jpeg
    305 KB · Views: 45
Back