Fuel tank leak

BSL

Fuel tank leak. Built in 42 gal , 18 ft bayliner. Where do I start. It is a big job to cut out deck and replace. I thought I might be able to get one fabricated and place it closer to the stem underneath some seating. Any thoughts would be helpful.

You will have to get the leaking tank out regardless.
Look at the Moeller plastic tanks as a replacement.
You could always go with portables if you don't want to go under floor again.

You will have to get the leaking tank out regardless.
Look at the Moeller plastic tanks as a replacement.
You could always go with portables if you don't want to go under floor again.
Hi Scott,
Is it a given that the old tank has to come out? If it has to then I can put the new one back in the same place. Where would I take the boat to get this done? I have not done this before but I am sure it is no small task to cut out part of the deck???

Hi Scott,
Is it a given that the old tank has to come out? If it has to then I can put the new one back in the same place. Where would I take the boat to get this done? I have not done this before but I am sure it is no small task to cut out part of the deck???
I would check under any flooring I.e carpet or otherwise, I know in my buddies sea ray the floors are all screw down. You would think the mfg would have some foresight...

Hi Scott,

Stuart @stuartsyachts in poco

If it's leaking you'll want to get it out.
Not sure,but sounds like you'll want to have this done professionally.

I cut mine out of my old boat with a skill saw and had a friend tab in and re-glass the floor section back in place, turned out great. Scott is right tho, the old one has to come out as it will be a boom under the floor with all those lingering fumes.

I’ve been down this road before. I hired a glass guy to make all the cuts. Had a like for like tank welded and had the glass guy seal up the deck. A pro will make it look like
It never happened but will cost you. Where are you located?

I’ve been down this road before. I hired a glass guy to make all the cuts. Had a like for like tank welded and had the glass guy seal up the deck. A pro will make it look like
I am located in Victoria.

Before you start cutting your deck are you totally sure the tank is leaking? Make sure it isn’t just the fuel line connections. I had a newer trophy and it was actually the rubber seal under the fuel level sending unit. Good thing I checked because I was about to start cutting the deck.

If you have raw gas below the floor you need to empty the tank by siphon or bulb at the engine and then flush the tank and under the tank with water before using anything electrical like a skill saw. If not the explosion will remove the tank for you.

We replaced the below deck fuel tank on the boat some years back, and I documented the process. It was about twice the capacity of your tank and was a fair bit of work. We replaced not just the tank but the entire duel feed fuel supply system and the filler system and all those parts add up cost wise. You may want to keep your tank located where it is. A fixed keel line tank is optimally located ballast and contributes to over all boat stability.

Did a lot of searching for an off the shelf tank that would fit and could not find one. I had the leaky tank cloned, but made out of much thicker Al plate than the original tank, and we raised it up a little and padded the bottom with silicon waffle pads on bonded plastic.

As I recall, getting about 60 gals of gas out of the partially full tank was a PITA as was pulling the new filler hose through the various sealed compartments.

Last edited:
Back