Prop help

screaminreels

Looking for some help from the knowledgeable group here. I have a 87 Grady 228 prodded was running 225 Johnson with a 4 blade I think was 17x141/4 now have a Suzuki df225 with stock prop 3 blade. Boat now has to run around 4000 to stay on plane from just over 3000 before any thoughts would be appreciated

I would think you should go back to a 4 blade or try one of the large diameter Suzuki 3 blade props available

I have a 232 Grady and went to 4 blade and plane at a much lower rpm. I would never go back to 3 blade.

Ok guys I appreciate the thoughts so far got home and checked the prop is a 16x20 any more input is appreciated now that the relevant prop size is known

I know that my 06 df200 the max rpm is 6200, what rpm are you getting when you go full throttle? Was your old motor a 2 stroke? Dont try to match your old engine rpm cruise speed with your new engine.

I'm sure you would be happier with a 4 blade prop. If properly sized for your boat/ motor, it will give you better cruise efficiency at lower RPM, better grip in rough water, faster out of the hole (especially when loaded heavy), lower RPM to plane, and help to lift the stern.

Most of our fishing boats would benefit from a 4 blade due to their desired usage (mid-range cruising) and their tendency to be stern heavy. It has always surprised me that dealers almost always put 3 blades on coastal fishing boats. I think it's because they have been told by manufacturers that 3 blades are "versatile", that is they do most things "reasonably well". True enough, but I want my boat to do its job not reasonably well but as well as I can possibly make it, and to that end I have spent the time over some years and several boats to try to optimize the boat's performance for my desired usage (fishing and getting to the fishing grounds). Prop sizing is critical to a boat's performance, handling, and economy but is often overlooked. As an example, my latest boat was delivered to me with a prop that made it handle and feel like a dump truck. Some prop slip calculations showed the boat to be very inefficient so I spent a little time investigating and came up with a 4 blade design and size that I liked. Installing that prop transformed the boat. It now gets up on the water and cruises faster at 6-800 RPM less than before and is fun to drive. By the way, it is quite similar in size and weight to your boat.

A 4 blade may often cause you to lose 1-2 mph on top end but for those of us who just want to fish and cruise in a relatively heavy boat, they can have great benefit and save some fuel dollars.
Good luck with your search. Prop slip calculations are quite simple and can be found on the Internet (I'm betting that your prop is slipping 20-30% at cruise). There are also lots of online prop calculators that can help you zero in on the right prop.

OF

I do not know if or how he ships to Canada but I bought a 4 blade prop from him years ago and he really knows his stuff. He was so sure he had the right 4 blade for me that he told me if it wasn't satisfactory he would refund me the money. It was and is perfect. Might be worth a call to him if you have problems finding the info you need.

http://randrpropshop.com/

I'm sure you would be happier with a 4 blade prop. If properly sized for your boat/ motor, it will give you better cruise efficiency at lower RPM, better grip in rough water, faster out of the hole (especially when loaded heavy), lower RPM to plane, and help to lift the stern.

Most of our fishing boats would benefit from a 4 blade due to their desired usage (mid-range cruising) and their tendency to be stern heavy. It has always surprised me that dealers almost always put 3 blades on coastal fishing boats. I think it's because they have been told by manufacturers that 3 blades are "versatile", that is they do most things "reasonably well". True enough, but I want my boat to do its job not reasonably well but as well as I can possibly make it, and to that end I have spent the time over some years and several boats to try to optimize the boat's performance for my desired usage (fishing and getting to the fishing grounds). Prop sizing is critical to a boat's performance, handling, and economy but is often overlooked. As an example, my latest boat was delivered to me with a prop that made it handle and feel like a dump truck. Some prop slip calculations showed the boat to be very inefficient so I spent a little time investigating and came up with a 4 blade design and size that I liked. Installing that prop transformed the boat. It now gets up on the water and cruises faster at 6-800 RPM less than before and is fun to drive. By the way, it is quite similar in size and weight to your boat.

A 4 blade may often cause you to lose 1-2 mph on top end but for those of us who just want to fish and cruise in a relatively heavy boat, they can have great benefit and save some fuel dollars.
Good luck with your search. Prop slip calculations are quite simple and can be found on the Internet (I'm betting that your prop is slipping 20-30% at cruise). There are also lots of online prop calculators that can help you zero in on the right prop.

OF
4 blades all the way,agree with you on that

A lot of dealers have different props to try when you buy a motor from them to get maximum performance

If that motors reccomend wide open throttle is 6200 rpm than you need to go down 2" in pitch. The 16" diameter prop you have already has alot of blade area and changing to a 4 blade prob wont help you out. I'd have an inch of pitch taken out of it and check your mounting height. Your motor could be buried too deep causing excessive drag. Lots of videos on YouTube that show you what proper mounting height looks like at cruise. Also are you trimming out?

Thx for the reply steelydan as for trimming out yes both with motor trim and I have tabs as well will re check the height but stopped at breakers on my way to ukee last summer to have them take a look and they said height was fine. I have access to a hoist maybe I should just lift it up one spot and take it for a spin.

Back