Project Ocean Smasher

mikep

Well i'm turning 30 in a couple weeks so it seemed like a good time to do something foolish. After spending 5 days in the rain in rivers inlet with my bother and buddy nick on our 228 grady we were all way too wet and it seemed like a bigger boat was required for the trips we like to do. We love our custom 228 grady but it just doesn't fit the bill for our adventure tips.

the requirements were...

get similar fuel mileage which is currently 2.2 MPG loaded

fit in my spot at the marina 31' LOA

have sleeping accommodations for 3 guys or two couples

hold 250 GAL of fuel

cruise at 30 Knots

have a huge back deck for fishing

sloped back windshield because it looks sexy as hell

With all these requirements in mind we started looking for what would work and this is what we fell in love with.

ocean master 336.jpg

of course we couldn't quite afford the 314K USD price tag that it took to get it so there was only one other option.........BUILD IT.

A quick craigslist search uncovered a 31' ocean master hull in Port Angeles WA, so we decided to take a drive....and this is what we found.....

DSC_0024.jpg
DSC_0030.jpg
DSC_0035.JPG
DSC_0037.jpg

the hull is 31' x 10'3" with a Carolina style bottom

So after a long drive down and seeing the potential of this boat we pulled the trigger.....this should be a 2-3 year project as it is going to be a full gut job and complete re configuration to a pilot house. fortunately it has hollow solid fiberglass stringers so we will not have to take on that job. Apparently all the hull is in the 6000-6500# area and is completely hand laid from vinylester resin and 20 layers of nytex cloth. We will be running some form of diesel inboard most likely mid hull mounted and shaft drive, something in the 4-500HP range. This should net us our 2+ MPG cruise at 30 Knots.

Now the first hurdle we have to overcome is getting this beast back to Vancouver. We plan on taking our 300HP verado down and rough rigging the boat. we will then drop her in the water and run her back home. Pretty confident with the right prop that that 300 will be enough to get her up on step as twin 200's were capable of 45 MPH on this hull.

Maybe my brother and I are crazy but we always like a challenge...

I will keep updating this thread as the project progresses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now thats a big project ahead of you excited to see how much money you sink into it as well you should post up your prices as they go so we can see the cost! lol what about a trailer? custom or find one?

We have a pretty good supply of equipment for this project already, the big ticket item will be the diesel power. We are still researching this as we are outboard people but this boat will be a fuel pig with twin OB's on the transom. No trailer for this beast, a boat hauler will pick her up and deliver her to the marina then we will run her home. This boat will live in the ocean once complete, hauled once a year for maintenance. We have a pretty good idea of what we are getting ourselves into, this will probably be the biggest project that we undertake. All of the superstructure will be built from 1708 fiberglass cloth, urethane foam board and Epoxy. The hull and topside will be completely sprayed in a 2 part polyurethane paint.

Man if I had 23K I would be all over that. We would like a little more than 350 for the boat but that could work.

Man if I had 23K I would be all over that. We would like a little more than 350 for the boat but that could work.

dont we all have that issue haha would you build an older diesel engine like a BT6 cummins... you could find one and easily punch that thing out pushing 4 - 500hp no problem but still gonna run you some coin.. the nice part with that volvo is the newer diesel injection system computer controls and harnesses even with the outdrive needing to be built thats a deal.

Yeah I am still going to school on the diesel end of things. I like the D6 series of engines and that is what we will probably build the boat for. We were budgeting about 30-35K for Power but will not have the funds for that for some time. The picture of that outdrive right there is why we don't want one. They are maintenance pigs and have a hard time with being in the water year round. this boat will be getting a bow thruster anyways so the single diesel with a shaft and rudder should be ok.

you guys are either sh*tting money rich or crazy as hell, I wish you good luck - you're in for a long treacherous journey.

Congrats on the purchase. This thread will be a classic. I am really looking forward to your progress. Don't let the naysayers bring you down. Post lots of pics .

well we are defiantly not rich, slightly crazy yes. We have been down this road before so we are quite familiar with the processes that need to be carried out here. We have done a full top to bottom restoration on a 23 grady which was some work but not terrible. This scope of work on this is larger yes but all the same techniques will be required.

20130707_191042.jpg

If you search on bloody decks (I think it was in California) there is an unbelievable conversion of a Bertram 31 from a sport fish to a cabin style. You might get some good ideas. Good luck with your project. I sold my Grady 27 for the same reason, being soaked to the nuts for 5 days was enough for me.

We will have a hard time parting with the 228 grady. We may keep it as it is one heck of a fishy boat it all kinda depends on where we are at cash wise. There really is not another 228 setup like ours. It was really nice to fish in tight areas with lots of boat traffic. That being said if we get this bigger boat done we will not be fishing in areas with lots of people...hehe. I have seen the bertram 31 project that guy has done some killer work, lots of time and effort into that wow.

If you search on bloody decks (I think it was in California) there is an unbelievable conversion of a Bertram 31 from a sport fish to a cabin style. You might get some good ideas. Good luck with your project. I sold my Grady 27 for the same reason, being soaked to the nuts for 5 days was enough for me.
Should come to the darkside and get a Skagit!!! LOL

cool project. I was chatting with a well-known charter operator/mechanic from Ukee. He is considering Hyundai diesels for some of his big boats (sterndrives). Cheaper, cheaper to run and better warranty were attractive.

Back