Project 'Bad Habits' Build

I think you are on the right track with having only two seats enclosed, I think a bigger cabin is too much compromise with loss of deck space...especially it being a narrow walk around cabin, just doesnt seem worth it especially for a fishing specific rig (which I know it is LOL)...If the weather is that bad a couple guys in the cuddy and 3 could squeeze up front(cockpit) quite easily

....or ...what about leaving the back open with an extended hard top over all 4 seats but the enclosure only around the front two????...kinda like the T-top hardtops with a partial enclosuer..

Ill keep thinkin....

Matt

here are some quick scetches

Attachments

• NICKS CABIN 001.jpg
    NICKS CABIN 001.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 209
  • NICKS CABIN 002.jpg
    NICKS CABIN 002.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 216
Matt, great couple sketches! Thanks for taking the time. I like the extended hard top and shorter cabin your going with...could definitely by a possibility.

Will continue with my wood mock up tommorrow with a slightly different approach...

After thinking about it long and hard I would keep it open at the back for extra guests and do a back to back seat thing like Johnny did on the Hourston with the photos Kelly put up. You can always enclose it with some canvas which is alot cheaper too. Sorry man but I think you will be beating your head against a post when you want the extra guests on board. You will maximize the fishability of her by doing so IMHO.

I agree like someone else said that making the cabin long enough for extra seats up front is going to waste your deck space. Having it just behind the front two seats is a waste as well for buddy factor. We are trying to have fun and function mixed together.
Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
John

Nick, the more I thought about it the more I agree with sculpin...think of our trip to bam, when we put up the drop canvas on my 2452 the day of the hurricane (LOL), with a full beam cockpit and the canvas, access/visability to the gear would have been compromised (I find it restrictive even while cruising)...and thats a full beam cockpit yours will be much narrower which i think will really cause quick access to deck to be restricted...

we were out in some pretty nasty stuff that trip and the open rear cockpit did well for us (IMO), we didn't get soaked, but we still had the canvas for the really nasty day...a hard enclosure with open back I think is your best fishing option...

...and do an extended hardtop over the two rear seats please, as I plan to be a passanger on some of these trips!!! lol

Matt

didn't we call this a brainstorming web back in school? haha. very good points...while I was sitting in my first mock-up it definitly occured to me that a sealed rear cabin door would be limiting to accessing the rods. A rear canvas wuldn't be the worst and it would be in from the elements under the extended hardtop, so its look, and function should last longer. That and for the days to the lake with the miss, Im sure the open rear wall will be a big favorite.

we will see where this goes today and tommorrow with mock ups...pics to follow

good quality canvas will last a long time, as you said its out of the elements and when not in use will prob be tucked away somewhere protected and dry...the same type of use mine has seen most likely..

p.s. my canvas is original from 1993...not the prettiest, and the clear is not so clear anymore...but it does the trick especially for being near 20 years old

Cabin design options

Lets hear your thoughts.....mocked up 3 designs which I thought would make for a good fit on the boat...

I already have a winner in my mind, but looking to hear what others think!!

a good few opinions would be really appreciated..Pics below!

Pic #1 Rear facing Windshield
Pic #2 Flat Faced 3 pain Windshield
Pic #3 Forward facing windshield

Attachments

• 0503121512a.jpg
    0503121512a.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 228
  • 0504121044a.jpg
    0504121044a.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 246
  • 0504121047a.jpg
    0504121047a.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 242
you know my pick...the slight rear facing slant...I like how the angle changes from cabin to windshield...unlike the OE windscreen that fallowed the cabin angle...google some of the newer trophy or striper factory W/A hard tops, I know they are all glass but have simular angles to what I think you are going for...Im a fan of that look, practical and simple too

hey john, working both sites hard for me!! Thanks!

Ya I really like the look of that build on BD you linked...very sharp and sleek looking.

Dont get me wrong the forward sloping windshield does look cool and has good function, no denying that, but you dont find, given the cuddy cabins shape, that a forward windshield looks too....not sure the word, but it goes against the grain of the boat and in my opinion looks like two boats put together to make one...

What is the one difference that is hard to do without when it comes to a forward sloping windshield, that you find. If you had to pick the major selling point, what would it be?

thanks again for keeping me thinking, and typing!!

hey john, working both sites hard for me!! Thanks!

Ya I really like the look of that build on BD you linked...very sharp and sleek looking.

Dont get me wrong the forward sloping windshield does look cool and has good function, no denying that, but you dont find, given the cuddy cabins shape, that a forward windshield looks too....not sure the word, but it goes against the grain of the boat and in my opinion looks like two boats put together to make one...

What is the one difference that is hard to do without when it comes to a forward sloping windshield, that you find. If you had to pick the major selling point, what would it be?

thanks again for keeping me thinking, and typing!!

All I'm pointing out is that function wins over fashion everytime in a fishing boat. I agree that some aesthetics are important for keeping her lines and you don't want her to look like that girl that has a pork chop tied around her neck just so the dog's will play with her lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a suggestion why not try photo-shopping your ride it's a lot easier than mock building out of ply imho
Thanks for sharing your rebuild
cheers

finbus4.jpg

finbus2.jpg

finbus3.jpg

That is friggen awesome man. I will stay with the first photo as my vote. You want aggressive Nick that first one is aggressive. If you want to wear your Sperry's and are worried about what the babes think than have at it LOL:D

Ok Gypseas you have me stumped on the second one. What is it from? I got the first and third.

Cheers,
Sculpin

dude that is soooo cool. Im laughin my butt off but very impressed!! The only problem is that all the helms on those designs, except maybe the 2nd one, are too far forward, and you would be standing IN the cuddy. The Driver sits st the back of the current cabin. so when your driving you can actually peak your head around the walkaround structure...

thanks for that gypseas! very cool stuff!

The aft facing design is thus far leading the votes with friends, and myself. The forward facing, altough best suited for some appications, I do not think is best suited for this boat. If you saw the boat John, I'm sure you would see what Im talkin' about!

CheerS!!

Nick

Ok Gypseas you have me stumped on the second one. What is it from? I got the first and third.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Maybe a steiger?

HAHAHA awesome! I LIKE that one ;)

Back