porlier pass/ thrasher.

Thrasher area

Weve been fishing 700 ft in the ferry lanes out from Brant Reef. Smoking hot right now, 32 was the big one a few days ago, and depths have been 140 to 160 yesterday i heard a report of a 36. Kitchen sink, super trooper, irish cream all have been hot spoons.

Hi all ... new to the forum and interested in the Thrasher area fishery. Was hoping for a bit of guidance ... is it generally (or obviously) more productive to be on the outside of the beacon or is it equally fish worthy on the inside of the beacon (between it and the island). Gave it a go a few days ago and stayed on the inside of the beacon ... other than one hit that I didn't set the hook well enough (got too excited I suppose and she gone) ... didn't have any more luck. Sounds like it's better to be out deeper on the outside of the beacon to get into the fish. Dropping into the 120 ft rigger depth zone do the trick ??? Deeper ??? Obviously trial and error ... but a bit of starting guidance for an infrequent fish trip type of guy would be appreciated greatly. I've hooked myself up with many of the lures and flashers mentioned on the various threads here ... so don't think I have any issues there ... just need to get an idea of depths and such to troll at ... I'm always leary of snagging **** when in unfamiliar territory ... and this surely makes me reluctant to go deeper in tight to structure. Heck ... if the idea is to troll in depths of 700 ft or so in that area ... then I will be going deep next trip out. Rigger depth range ... what should I be trying?

Thanks Seafever ... gonna try that depth range next time I'm out. I'll be honest ... not looking for the large scrappers the experienced guys look for ... quite happy to keep anything legal ... even if the experienced guy would laugh at the size/weights as being 'shakers'. Maybe when I actually start catching a few ... my target would not be set so low ... lol. Cheers !

Offshore thrasher 400 to 900 feet of water 100 to 150 feet on the rigger!! . Irish Cream Spoons, Luhr Jensen Yellow Tail with the Glow, Green Glow Coyotes and the larger TKO. Cop Cars as well. 5 to 6 feet behind Green-Glow Hot Spot Flashers.

anchovies, herring working well too! You can't go wrong!!!

Largest fish today that ai know of was 25 pounds.

Sweet ... thx for the info !!! The one I had on for a bit had hit the cop car ... and thx to my fumbling ... it swims another day ... lol.

that's why its call fishin.., cant give em an inch with barbless hooks.., trolled for about 4 hours today from fingers to Entrance..not even one bite on the anchovey..kinda surprised me.. just wondering how much further is it to thrasher from entrance island? i haven't been there before.., yellowtail by lurh Jensen at 135-145 was working well on monday,the reports i heard today on the vhf ..was green n white hootchy n irishcreme same depth , but they were definitely were not hitting like the otherday..
:confused:

Yes the gap was hot yesterday. Three in the boat in 2 hrs. Fished on the outside 120-150 ft on the downriggers using cop car and army truck hoochies and hot spot red and green flashers.

well to throw a wrench in the positive vibes here, we were out friday and saturday morning, stayed at silva bay resort, we were into one small keeper on friday and a few smaller releasers, in a whole day of fishing, people we talked to were into one/two fish only, the tides in the area are freaking unbelievable right now, saturday morning was dead slow, cool and windy, we pulled plug and a friend of our who stayed through the midday tide did manage 2 nice fish, its not red hot anymore but still better than most georgia straight fisheries, as well, lost 200 feet of lead core rope and 2 prawn traps to an unmoveable bottom dweller, F^*^%K

Saturday and Sunday were awesome at porlier. Saturday we boated nine fish, keeping three. 100 feet deep in 130 feet of water on irish cream and kitchen sink spoons. Biggest was 12 pounds. Sunday was windy and rough and the fish had moved to deeper water, but we still got two about 12 pounds, one of which a seal grabbed but we got back after chasing with the boat. Released 5-6 small ones and lost one that felt bigger that the 12 pounders but never saw it to confirm. A boat beside us had a fish on that appeared to put up a huge fight but not sure if they'd caught the same seal as we had. We never did see them net the fish. All in a all it was a great weekend!

Hey Vanisle, I'm not sure which boat you were in there was a yellow aluminum skiff and what looked like a white hardtop osprey on Sunday, I was the trophy, we landed 4 released two undersized little fatties and kept these 2 one was a 9 lb hatchery red the other was a 12 lb marble even though they look the same in the picture lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 660
I'll be out at Thrasher on a friends Whaler CC "alf" for the weekend, hopefully the fish are still there!!

I will probably be there Friday. Ill try and post a report Friday night if I get back soon enough

Still there Stones! Fished Galiano on the outside around a plateau that is pretty distinguishable on the GPS in about 140 ft of water, then the plateau would bump up to 115 ft. Fished seemed to be hanging onto the edges. Lots of herring in their guts, most about 4 inches long and one 6-7 incher. We kept these two and then released one more, all three from about 11:30-1:00. All three were on a purple haze flasher with anchovy in a purple haze teaser! Water was murky, but the haze seemed to work!
IMG_1345.jpg

Still there Stones! Fished Galiano on the outside around a plateau that is pretty distinguishable on the GPS in about 140 ft of water, then the plateau would bump up to 115 ft. Fished seemed to be hanging onto the edges. Lots of herring in their guts, most about 4 inches long and one 6-7 incher. We kept these two and then released one more, all three from about 11:30-1:00. All three were on a purple haze flasher with anchovy in a purple haze teaser! Water was murky, but the haze seemed to work!
View attachment 7193

Nice ones Stoisy!! Were you getting them on the bottom just off that 'nipple' of structure you mentioned? Or higher up in the water column?

Back