Podding a Striper

Brian Reiber

Has anyone here podded a Seaswirl Striper 2301 (or seen one that has been done)? I came across a 2006 2301 Alaskan with a blown inboard. The boat ticks a lot of the boxes for the current 2 footitis predicament that we find ourselves in. However, the inboard is a hard no for us. We would have to insult the seller a little on the price but if we could make a deal it would be a beauty boat. It's just a little hard to visualize how a pod will look on that boat. We used aluminum for our DE. I think that fiberglass would look better on the Striper but might cost more. Just curious on some opinions at this point.

Thanks
Brian

Has anyone here podded a Seaswirl Striper 2301 (or seen one that has been done)? I came across a 2006 2301 Alaskan with a blown inboard. The boat ticks a lot of the boxes for the current 2 footitis predicament that we find ourselves in. However, the inboard is a hard no for us. We would have to insult the seller a little on the price but if we could make a deal it would be a beauty boat. It's just a little hard to visualize how a pod will look on that boat. We used aluminum for our DE. I think that fiberglass would look better on the Striper but might cost more. Just curious on some opinions at this point.

Thanks
Brian

Long thread from Striper Owners Club Forum, but this guy did it on a 2601...

http://seastriper.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29401&highlight=conversion

Thanks @bigbruce . A long thread but they did a nice job. It looks very doable. We were worried about how the pod would look considering the Striper already has an integrated swim grid. It actually looks really good. The 2601 sure is a nice boat. It's probably a little big for our needs though. We have a brand new Suzuki 250 that we would keep and put on the new boat. The 2601 definitely needs a little more power than that.

All realists recognize that a boat that cannot be sea-trialed is a hard sell. Problem is converting the owner into a realist.
True story. Unfortunately many sellers have an unrealistic idea of what their stuff is worth. Conversely, I've been guilty of having an unrealistic idea of what it costs to bring a dead project back to life. I will never tell my wife how much Michael and I have spent on our DE conversion. I will take that one to the grave lol.

Last edited:
I had second refusal on that striper. Great deal I thought if it is in well kept shape. Needs a new 5.0l. Will sell by tomorrow. 13 people lined

True story. Unfortunately many sellers have an unrealistic idea of what their stuff is worth. Conversely, I've been guilty of having an unrealistic idea of what it costs to bring a dead project back to life. I will never tell my wife how much Michael and I have spent on our DE conversion. I will take that one to the grave lol.
Might of heard this one on The Hull Truth forum:

"When I die my greatest fear is that my wife will sell my boat for what I told her I paid for it"

I am nearing the end of such a project. Went from toasted inboard diesels to O/B's. The only shop in the area I like & trust doesn't do diesels. Many shops are so understaffed they are booking 6 months out, so I went with the lowest maintenance option plus getting the O/B's with 150 hours at 1/2 of new (twin 300 ETEC's) Unfortunately the only true way to learn how much a certain technology sucks is to own one. The downside to the O/B's is not having the stern area free of obstructions.

Thanks @bigbruce . A long thread but they did a nice job. It looks very doable. We were worried about how the pod would look considering the Striper already has an integrated swim grid. It actually looks really good. The 2601 sure is a nice boat. It's probably a little big for our needs though. We have a brand new Suzuki 250 that we would keep and put on the new boat. The 2601 definitely needs a little more power than that.
I have a buddy with a 26 and a older Suzuki 250 and it is not underpowered ! he does over 40 knots at 6000rpm

I have a buddy with a 26 and a older Suzuki 250 and it is not underpowered ! he does over 40 knots at 6000rpm
No way, you need a 425hp on those, any less is underpower lol. Ok now i am getting the popcorn, waiting ..............

If you’re going to pod a 26’er I would think twin 150’s would be a good way to go. Single 250 is ideal for a 23’ IMO

Lots of grady 232 boats have twin 150's and are a little underpowered imo. A 26 might need a few more hp.

Back