Pleasure Craft License

coholips

What is considered proof of ownership for a boat in B.C.? I carry my Pleasure Craft License on my boat but does this prove ownership? I bought my boat second hand and did the required transfer of ownership through Transport Canada who sent me my new license. I see on the license it states "not a Title Document" so is there a seperate document I'm missing? I just want to make sure I've got all my eggs in one basket as we're seeing more RCMP and Federalies spot checking for PCOC's and whatever else they can find to ruin your day.

here's a quote from the safe boating guide:
'although you are no longer required to register pleasure craft over 15 gross tons, you can still choose to do so. Although there are costs involved, registration gives you some important benefits, which include: proof of ownership (legal title)for your boat;...'

'although you are no longer required to register pleasure craft over 15 gross tons, you can still choose to do so. Although there are costs involved, registration gives you some important benefits, which include: proof of ownership (legal title)for your boat;...'

quote:Originally posted by Degree of Freedom

Hey D.O.F.
Thanks for that.

quote:Originally posted by Degree of Freedom

Hey D.O.F.
Thanks for that.

17.What documents can I use as valid proof of ownership?

To establish proof of ownership, we accept documents that contain the following information:

#9702;name, address, and signature of previous owner;
#9702;name and signature of new owner;
#9702;description of the pleasure craft (make, model, and other details requested on the application form);
#9702;o hull identification number or compliance label number (if available); and,
#9702;pleasure craft licence identification number (if already licensed).

Documents that we consider to be valid proof of ownership (depending on the application type) include the following:

#9702;bills of sale
#9702;statutory declarations
#9702;wills and bequests
#9702;separation or divorce agreements
#9702;court judgements
#9702;signed agreements of transfer of ownership (sale/purchase agreement)

17.What documents can I use as valid proof of ownership?

To establish proof of ownership, we accept documents that contain the following information:

#9702;name, address, and signature of previous owner;
#9702;name and signature of new owner;
#9702;description of the pleasure craft (make, model, and other details requested on the application form);
#9702;o hull identification number or compliance label number (if available); and,
#9702;pleasure craft licence identification number (if already licensed).

Documents that we consider to be valid proof of ownership (depending on the application type) include the following:

#9702;bills of sale
#9702;statutory declarations
#9702;wills and bequests
#9702;separation or divorce agreements
#9702;court judgements
#9702;signed agreements of transfer of ownership (sale/purchase agreement)

I went down to our local Service Canada outlet here in Nanaimo to get my boat 'in my name'. I presented the previous registration and a bill of sale. Got a new registration in my name. NO CHARGE for the service!

Back