Open Transom Boat with Motor Well vs Closed Transom Off Shore

MyEscape

I have been asked to post this by the owner of our lodge. We are very seriously considering purchasing a 27' boat that has a motor well and raised splash guard on the stern but am wondering what peoples experience has been with this type of layout vs closed stern and pod. Is mandatory under the new DOT regs for an older commercial charter boat to have a completely close transom. The boat has been modified from factory spec and has lots of free board and protection from waves coming over the stern but not as much as a closed stern however believe it will pass stability test. We completely closed the transom's on all the lodge boats of the same make and poded them for added safety this is why I ask as this would be a very expensive option on this size of boat.

Cheers Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:
The boat when modified from original specs must then again be inspected and approved by TPCANADA. With Stab tests etc the many many hoops we jump through ....... never stops with TPC.

HT

I have had both and I prefer the closed transoms or offshore bracket. I found that with the open transom there was always a little water leaking around my bildge inspection hatch. I also like the close transom when hali fishing in swells it stops the water from splashing into the motorwell.

do you ever back-troll for hali? a closed transom is must,, damb near sunk my 2102 trophy.. not sure on the tc requirements tho for free board on the transom?

do you ever back-troll for hali? a closed transom is must,, damb near sunk my 2102 trophy.. not sure on the tc requirements tho for free board on the transom?

Of course you did.. its a 21' Bayliner, what would you expect? I back down on Halis every day offshore and Ive never taken a drop of water inside my boat.

Maybe back troll for cutthroats on Great central lake in a 21trophy..? if you almost sunk it. should be ok there

nope,, sold and got a reel offshore boat after a few years of lessons learned....

After having both types of sterns and nearly sinking with a transom well, I will never go back to a transom well. Even more important if you fish offshore on the westcoast with those following seas or anchor for halibut. My 2 bits.

Hey Kev, The particular boat you are asking about Is a 27 Ft Pursuit! Currently with Twin 4 strokes. I have run this particular boat, and it does not stand in the same catagory as a closed transom 25' pursuit, Grady or proline for that matter. It can handle what you ask of it right beside the other guide boats at the lodge. Cheers, Give me a call when you have a chance.

Back