OFFICIAL 2015 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

In my opinion 25lb is plenty. If the fish breaks off it was probably due to a knicked leader that would have likely broken if you're using 40lb too.

25 gives you two advantages in my opinion. Better action from chovies or spoons, and if you're going to break a fish off its probably going to be at the hook and you'll still have your flasher and teaser head. If you use 40 either your rod or mainline will break and you're looking at minimum a lost flasher and teaser head.

I'm new at this though, and everyone had their own opinions

Go as light as you want on your leader, but be prepared to lose fish.
Tyee's can break 25lb easily especially behind a flasher which creates a lot of extra drag in the water.

U
In my opinion 25lb is plenty. If the fish breaks off it was probably due to a knicked leader that would have likely broken if you're using 40lb too.

25 gives you two advantages in my opinion. Better action from chovies or spoons, and if you're going to break a fish off its probably going to be at the hook and you'll still have your flasher and teaser head. If you use 40 either your rod or mainline will break and you're looking at minimum a lost flasher and teaser head.

I'm new at this though, and everyone had their own opinions

I'd be upset leaving hooks or line in a fishes mouth. If I can't have it do to a barbless hook, then at least it doesn't go swimming upstream with more challenges than it already faces!
Knicked leader? Why would you put it down?!
40lb test

Tyee's can break 25lb easily especially behind a flasher which creates a lot of extra drag in the water.

agreed Craven...

Well, you gotta go with what you know...and to each his own. ;)

25 lbs test when cut plugging is a different story...but 25 test on anchovy leaders behind flashers is asking for it...

Guess all the commercially "experienced" fishers fishing 50-80 pound test on spoons, plugs, hoochies and herring (ie guides and commercial trollers) have a few things to learn. ;)

As the saying goes, you do your thing...I'll do mine...

Carry On...and Fish On... :)

hi , just went back from Sandheads, Fished 7 30 to 1 30, got lucky today 3 hit 3 fish, good size, around not to much action,55 ft and 30 ft on rigger, hope they stay around , good weekend

We were out fishing the derby today. We worked the Bell because of technical issues and didn't have much luck. Most of the boats fished sandheads and it seemed almost all were rewarded with a high teen or low twenties or two...great day on the water, well run tournament and a nice bunch of guys.

OLAY!

Went out this afternoon to SANDHEADS Once I got away from the Evil Armada de Juan de Fuca I dropped some anchovies down to 45 and 65 feet. Not even two minutes later BANG! Big #25 took the chovy behind the Chartreuse Lemon Lime Flasher! ZING! It peeled line and I fought it back in to the boat.

KABONG!

Enough for me! Back to shore and spent more time sitting in TRAFFIC on the 17 and 91 than I did fishing today!

^^^^ This is very true... Bulk up your leaders boys and allow your teaser head to do the roll

Got out there with my son at 10 am, out of the North arm and ran to the T-10. We saw a bunch of boats there, but marked no fish on the way through the area, so continued on to the lightship. I like to start outside the main fleet so we put down lines in 250-300 ft at 30 and 45 on the wire. Chovies in teaserheads on both lines. Fish started at 12:30 with a 28, then a 31, then a mid-teener, then a jack; all whites. Most on the shallow line. We had a double header as well, and lost one fish, got the other . We decided to call it a day after that at about 2:30. We got all our fish in water between 250 and 300. I don't know how the rest out there did, as we were always far away. All the big springs were scrappers, popping clips and multiple big screaming runs. One time I thought it might be a seal because of all the surface action!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looked like some boats did very well at the sandheads today. Watched 1 boat land 3 fish on a triple header and saw a few boats doubling up here and there with the odd fish in between. I got 2 identical springs 17 lbs but had to put in a lot of time to get them. Both fish before 11 am then nothing after that.

Some incredible fishing this past week down at Sandheads, Tuesday was very good with a family limit of 6 good springs to 27 lbs for us and a 20 lbs chum. Wednesday was slower for us and worked the day to get 4 good springs. 50 and 40 on Tuesday and pretty much non stop action and Wednesday has to go down to 75. Glo heads and 6 inch chovy or medium herring on 6ft leaders. I run 30 lbs main and 30 lbs for leaders on chovies and soon. On Tuesday I did have two fresh tie ups break off on big hits. Gave 50 lbs leaders a go but twisted the line up.

Some piece of **** stole Tuesdays catch 6 springs out of the back of my truck leaving behind the chum. Guess they had a specific taste. These fish were in a deep freeze we had gotten for free and all in fish bags. Wednesdays catch was in my cooler not in bags just on ice and was also left. The nerve of some people.

Some people have "NO" respect or don't care about others. I guess they couldn't be bothered to ask where, what and how deep people were fishing at, that it was easier to seal from a fellow fisherman. That just "Pisses me off to no end". Sorry to hear that had to happen to you.

Tell me about it. Was checking the weather all morning and right before we go it picks up. I'll be trying for tomorrow.

Where are you guys mike? I'm on the fence about heading out. I really want to go but not if its going to be crap all day!

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

I figured you needed a wake up call so you could start working on the yard lol. The sound of a motor starting in the morning is much better then the jackhammer

Back