New To Fishing- Need Help Choosing Some Gear

InterMechanico

Hi everyone.
My name is Julian. Good to meet all of you.

I'd like some help choosing some basic gear to do a little fishing here and there.

I regularly travel from Reed Point marina to South Thormanby by boat. I was thinking that it would be fun to do a little fishing enroute sometimes, as well as when the weather is too snotty to make the planned trip (like this last weekend ).

Other than a license, what do I need to do some mooching? When I was a kid, I used an old rod and reel with buzz bombs to catch rockfish and lingcod. I don't imagine buzz bombs are still top rated...

I want to buy quality gear. I looked online but it's hard to tell the difference between information and advertisements...

My boat is a Silverstreak Gambier 18.6 with a Merc 150 four stroke. I like it. It corrects me when I get it wrong hahaha. I'll probably drift off Bowen and the Trail Islands, and ofcourse Epsom Point.

One important thing; I'll be releasing anything I catch.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20191122_114328.jpg
    20191122_114328.jpg
    402 KB · Views: 65
Downriggers, 15# cannonballs, 10'6" rods and single action reels. 30# mainline, some flashers, hootchies, spoons and teezer heads. Some bait hooks and a mix of siwash hooks. A stone, knife, pliers and a few other odds and ends you will pick up along the way. Will cover the salmon... Have fun

Hey-O.

Thank you for the expansive replies. They are no longer here but I did read them.

Great information to build a plan and shopping list.
I'm going to check out a couple of local tackle shops to make my purchases. Very exciting.

Thanks for the downrigger link on craigslist. I have a bracket on each gunnel, but I think I'll need some proprietary bracketery.

Had plans for a light workday today, with a little time to spend at cabelas to see what's available, but as usual I got busy and ran out of time.

I'm set to spend 2 weeks at the cabin (south thormanby) starting July 7, so I'm trying to get somewhat set up by then.

As an aside, if anyone had any diesel, hydraulic or electrical related questions, let me know. It's my thing.

Last edited:
Don't bother with Cabela's for saltwater gear. Check out some local shops. Pacific Net and Twine has great saltwater gear and does Berry's Bait and Tackle. If you're on the island Harbour Chandler is one of the best by far.

As far as the down rigger mounts go. Scotty is Scotty. You can only attach their down rigger to their mounts. Pretty easy once you see it.

Everyone starts somewhere, I would recommend trying to fish with someone who is outfitted and pay attention to what they do and what they use. I could see it being very daunting to try and start from scratch on your own.

Don't bother with Cabela's for saltwater gear. Check out some local shops. Pacific Net and Twine has great saltwater gear and does Berry's Bait and Tackle. If you're on the island Harbour Chandler is one of the best by far.

As far as the down rigger mounts go. Scotty is Scotty. You can only attach their down rigger to their mounts. Pretty easy once you see it.

Everyone starts somewhere, I would recommend trying to fish with someone who is outfitted and pay attention to what they do and what they use. I could see it being very daunting to try and start from scratch on your own.

Hey G.

Avoid Cabelas - done.

I like to support local shops as much as possible. I've always found the follow up service to be well worth the extra (if any) dollars spent.

Maybe I can find someone who can show me the ropes if I supply the boat and fuel?? Just a thought...

As for it being a daunting process, it seriously is!
The last time I fished for anything, I was 15 years old, and it was for rock cod over the side of a tiny fiberglass boat I bombed around in during the summer. As stated, all the kids used buzz bombs and salmon flashers. Basically limited to what was available at Bucaneer Marina and Secret Cove Marina.

Now I have this idea that I'd like to fish, so I need a rod and reel, some line and lures. Simple, right? There are SO MANY options now, and marketing has streamlined the terminology.... I sound 80 but I'm 37 years old hahaha

Julian

Fish didn’t stop biting buzz bombs and chasing flashers! I still will cast and jig buzz bombs from time to time but now when jigging i prefer point wilson darts in 6-8 oz especially in pink pearl. this is an all species jig.
do you have decent fish finder on that beauty boat? find the bait balls and send your buzz bomb or whatever down!
but if you want to get serious about catching salmon use your gps plotter in conjunction with the tide and current guide. find some decent structure and troll the same direction as the current. present the feed to the fish.

If you want to mooch you don’t really need down riggers. But they are nice as they open up some options for trolling. Trolling is a great way to cover a lot of ground and can be quite productive. It’s also a great way to locate a school so you can stop and start mooching.

But for a simple set up if you’d just looking to mooch. Like with any type of fishing you will need a GOOD fish finder. I recommend you get one that has GPS that shows you the contours of the ocean floor. This can be really helpful for finding structure that may potentially have a big bait ball waiting for you to fish. I would recommend a 8-9ft mooching rod. I’ll probably get slammed for this but get a bait caster reel with a line counter. The line counter can really be a help when you located a good depth in a bait ball as you can lower and retrieve consistently at that same depth. So instead of fishing 100-200ft of water you can literally fish 30-40ft window. Also if you have others aboard you can share depths to get more fish. Plus you can still cast with the bait caster for getting buzz bombs and other jigs out there. (sorry guys.. centre pins are awesome and I love them for trolling. But after a long day of counting pulls you often come home and start dreaming about counting pulls. Then at 2am you get smacked upside the head as the wife can’t sleep. Because you keep saying pull counts off)

You will want to get a few 3-6oz banana weights (hint: Chinook seem to be more attracted to the orange ones and coho seem to be more attracted to the chartreuse). Get some good 30-40lb braid on the reel. Get some 15lb fluorocarbon for leader material. You will need a decent selection of swivels, 3 way swivels, quick changes, bead chains, beads, octopus hooks. Then grab some herring, buzz bombs and other similar jigs and go have some fun!

Fish didn’t stop biting buzz bombs and chasing flashers! I still will cast and jig buzz bombs from time to time but now when jigging i prefer point wilson darts in 6-8 oz especially in pink pearl. this is an all species jig.
do you have decent fish finder on that beauty boat? find the bait balls and send your buzz bomb or whatever down!
but if you want to get serious about catching salmon use your gps plotter in conjunction with the tide and current guide. find some decent structure and troll the same direction as the current. present the feed to the fish.

Hey-O.

Glad to hear buzz bombs still work, thanks for the suggestion of Wilson Darts. I'll look into those.

I have a Garmin gpsmap 922XS with 18HD+ Radome. I did get a transducer installed, I think is a GT22 chirp transducer. I use the system mostly for poor weather and fog. I've played around with the sonar a few times, but I'll familiarize myself with it going forward.

Last edited:
If you want to mooch you don’t really need down riggers. But they are nice as they open up some options for trolling. Trolling is a great way to cover a lot of ground and can be quite productive. It’s also a great way to locate a school so you can stop and start mooching.

But for a simple set up if you’d just looking to mooch. Like with any type of fishing you will need a GOOD fish finder. I recommend you get one that has GPS that shows you the contours of the ocean floor. This can be really helpful for finding structure that may potentially have a big bait ball waiting for you to fish. I would recommend a 8-9ft mooching rod. I’ll probably get slammed for this but get a bait caster reel with a line counter. The line counter can really be a help when you located a good depth in a bait ball as you can lower and retrieve consistently at that same depth. So instead of fishing 100-200ft of water you can literally fish 30-40ft window. Also if you have others aboard you can share depths to get more fish. Plus you can still cast with the bait caster for getting buzz bombs and other jigs out there. (sorry guys.. centre pins are awesome and I love them for trolling. But after a long day of counting pulls you often come home and start dreaming about counting pulls. Then at 2am you get smacked upside the head as the wife can’t sleep. Because you keep saying pull counts off)

You will want to get a few 3-6oz banana weights (hint: Chinook seem to be more attracted to the orange ones and coho seem to be more attracted to the chartreuse). Get some good 30-40lb braid on the reel. Get some 15lb fluorocarbon for leader material. You will need a decent selection of swivels, 3 way swivels, quick changes, bead chains, beads, octopus hooks. Then grab some herring, buzz bombs and other similar jigs and go have some fun!

Hahaha good point in the counter. I already have enough to grumble about in my sleep. I had a peek at those, and while I'm sure some would shy away others would find it very convenient to know the depth of your lure with a glance at the counter.

I think im getting a bit more of a handle on it. I like your suggestion of a bait casting reel; looks suitable for what I want to do.

Thank you for the suggestion on line type and test, as well as rigging and lures. There are a lot of options, and its nice to narrow it down some before I end up at the store.

Well lookie here :eek:

Attachments

• 20200614_113427.jpg
    20200614_113427.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 20200614_113434.jpg
    20200614_113434.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 20200614_113457.jpg
    20200614_113457.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 20200614_113451.jpg
    20200614_113451.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 20200614_113550.jpg
    20200614_113550.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 20200614_113654.jpg
    20200614_113654.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 71
Modified the bow compartment as well. I was worried about dipping the bow, so I made this hatch/cover assembly. I wasn't too hot on the compartment when I first bought the boat in October, but I've since decided that any future aluminum boat I have will have this option albeit with a solid cover, because the storage access in the bow is unbeatable, and I still have all the normal useable under bow storage as well.

Attachments

• 20200614_140326.jpg
    20200614_140326.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 20191018_123205.jpg
    20191018_123205.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 20200606_175230.jpg
    20200606_175230.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 20200614_122645.jpg
    20200614_122645.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 76
  • 20200614_140229.jpg
    20200614_140229.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Modified the bow compartment as well. I was worried about dipping the bow, so I made this hatch/cover assembly. I wasn't too hot on the compartment when I first bought the boat in October, but I've since decided that any future aluminum boat I have will have this option albeit with a solid cover, because the storage access in the bow is unbeatable, and I still have all the normal useable under bow storage as well.

Very nice mod to the boat. Looks heavy duty and very practical. Where did you get that done?

Oly

Very nice mod to the boat. Looks heavy duty and very practical. Where did you get that done?

Oly

Hey Oly.

I did it myself over a couple of months, a little bit at a time. I cut the plate for the center support and hatches, then tigged it up a few months later on when I had some free time. I formed the hatches using the hydraulic crane stabilizers, two 2x4s and a rubber tire chock. Not typical but it worked :rolleyes:

I spoke to Scott at Silverstreak initially, and he said it wouldnt be too much trouble to make up since they have the profile on hand. They sent over drawings for me check. Would have gone that route if I didnt have everything on hand.

Julian

Last edited:
Bennett Bolt 912ed tabs and autotrim controller are enroute as we speak. Those are next up, and the boat will be hauled out by Inlet Marine in a few weeks to get it done before July 6th

Edit: if anyone is wondering on the "best practice" installation for tabs on an aluminum hull...

-make predrilled and tapped 6061 or 5086 weld on mounting plate for tab mounting flange
-prep and install (weld) mounting plates onto hull observing normal fit up procedures and measurements
-install high quality stainless (316) tab mounting hardware, install petro-wrap tape between flange and mounting plate

Attachments

• 20200614_215306.jpg
    20200614_215306.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Nice fishing gear and beautiful boat! You're gonna have fun this summer!

I have so many great memories of summers at Secret Cove and the Thormanby Islands...you've got a nice spot there!

Back