New coho regulations

MORE GOOD FISHING NEWS ---
Coho regulation you are going to like. The Local Sport Fishery Advisory Committees, The Chinook /Coho Working Group and the Sport Fishery Advisory Board have been working with The Department of Fisheries and Oceans since April to update the Coho fishing regulations for the South Coast region.
With the projections of a large return of Coho to the US and South Coast CDN along with the continued concerns for Interior Fraser Coho stocks the resolutions noted below were a balance.
Improved opportunities for the recreational fishery and protection of Coho stocks of concern. The process Work to the benefit of ALL.
Always remember “ IT’s ALL ABOUT THE FISH “

Hot off the DFO Press ---
NEW COHO REGULATIONS for 2014 for Recreational Fishery

Effective Date:
June 28:
Johnstone St.- 2 Coho per day either hatchery or wild
Georgia St. North – 2 Coho per day with only 1 wild
Georgia St. South – 2 Coho per day with only 1 wild
WCVI Inshore (inside the surfline) – 4 per day hatchery or wild
WCVI Offshore (outside the surfline) – 2 per day with only 1 wild

September 1
Juan de Fuca – 2 per day with only 1 wild
Area 20-1 & 20-2 will have increased limits in September & October for local Coho
WCVI Offshore (outside the surfline) – 4 per day with only 1 wild

September 31
Fraser River – window closure will be eliminated one week earlier allowing for directed Coho (hatchery only) fishing with bait.

Super good news, just got the e-mail earlier today. A lot of hard work went into this from the SFAB. The process works, and hopefully we can get more quality people involved in the future.

excellent news - a huge pat on the back to anyone and everyone involved in negotiating this increased opportunity + those involved in the salmon enhancement that allowed it to happen!

What about sooke and Victoria?? are we screwed again???

What about sooke and Victoria?? are we screwed again???
looks from that, we get a little relief on Sept 1 (Juan de Fuca)...every little bit helps, especially since last 2 weeks of Sept are often a useless time for actually finding salmon to keep!

Looks like areas 19/20 got what we asked for. 2 coho 1 being wild by Sept 1st instead of waiting until Oct 1st. That is a good step back towards a normal fall fishery. I hope the fish continue to do well and this trend continues.

Interesting. I see nothing on the DFO site in regards to this?
There has been no change in regulations posted?

Where did this information come from??

I just got an e-mail about it as well.

"We are working on completing the legal paperwork and propose to initiate the following: (insert above regs here)"

It's legit. Give it a day or so and I'm sure we'll see the notice.

The good news would be "AFTER" the sport fishery advisory committee , the chinook/coho working group , and the sport fishing advisory group , and the dept of fisheries , finally got it right and dropped the wild/hatchery program altogether. we are doing more harm overall to the coho stocks by being "forced" to weed thru a lot wilds just to find two hatchery fish . The wilds are just to plentiful right now , it would be better to catch any two coho for the day and leave .

That's great. I think the sense of entitlement is showing a bit though whats the big deal with weeding through a few wilds. Barb less, and no net still provides fun in a catch and release and a low mortality rate. We have to stop thinking of it as a way to fill your freezer I mean really how much salmon are you going to eat. Is this whole forum not SPORTSFISHING BC. Unless we want to change the name to meatfishing BC quit the whining.

TOTAL BS again

As if Wolf, the reason that you guys have to wait until September is because your impact on Interior Fraser Coho is so high down there compared to other areas. You guys would burn through the whole wad if you were open all summer in JDF. The rec sector gets a share, just like FN and commercial do and everybody benefits. The SFAB worked really hard with the Department to come up with a plan that benefitted all areas relatively equally, so don't forget about them when you are thinking you got screwed...Thats what happens when you have one of Vancouver Islands largest rec fleets fishing in the approach area for a former "stock of concern"...

The fishery notice should be out today and it will open June 27 at 0001, good luck guys and enjoy it. First time in 18 years, and a good sign that things are starting to recover from the bad state that we were all once in. Don't lose faith in the process, this is proof that it works and that you can see benefits from being involved. Keep providing catch information and buy your SFAB members a beer next time you see one - you should be grateful for the hardworking people that represent you and your interests on the SFAB, for free.

Does anyone have the numbers of how many"wild" coho may still be swimming. I don't think we should be labelling these fish either wild or clipped. Many hatchery hoes are not clipped due to logistics and overall numbers.

Hatcheries in the SOGeorgia are moving away from releasing unclipped fish as part of their new direction, so this will be less of an issue in the future. Right now we don't consider them wild just because they have an adipose fin, most are some aren't, it's semantics and wild salmon issues...we call them unmarked. As for how many are swimming around your guess is as good as mine, if we knew that it would make fisheries management a lot easier.

Back