Lowrance and their lackluster customer service

Last Chance

Admin
Staff member
Well, my brand new HDS-8 unit that I aqquired last June, has been at Lowrance Customer Service since then, and not bolted to my boat due to a failing button. Lowrance has fed line after line to myself, and Island Outfitters whom I got the unit from.

They have HDS-8 units on the shelf, yet can't see fit to get mine back to me in a timley fasion.

I have to say that I have _NEVER_ had this kind of BS with any marine electronics, I know in my business my customers would not stand for this, so neither should Lowrances.

I urge anyone to avoid the problematic HDS-8 units if uptime is a major issue! Lowrance has been unable to supply extension cables, or wiriing harnesses for the unit as well!

UH hu same thing with mine last year Kelly total bs. It's funny they have lots of units to send out for sale but none to give out for warrenty. Talk to Darren at outfitters he finaly got things rited almost a year later.

I've always liked lowrance but after the last couple issues when it comes time to replace them i won't use them again.

Is this a common problem with these units. I'm just about to purchase a HDS-10 and broadband radar. I'm thinking maybe I should reconsider. Maybe this is why the price has dropped almost a $1000 since before christmas and now a $700 rebate on the two units. Does anybody else have these units and have you had any problems?

I am watching also, as I also have it on my wish list.

Thats exactly the unit i have ,the first one lasted a year then got some moisture in it they told me the first one's were not sealed properly and to send it in. I got my replacment 8 months later, ths replacment has been great no troubles easy to use.

It's there warrenty i have issues with if it's the middle of summer i can't wait 8 months for a new one.especially when where i bought it from has units on the wall for sale but lowrance can't find one at there shop.

So i'm not sure what to tell you, i have had lowrance for years now and that was the first one i ever had to send back ,so they are a good unit but if you do have trouble there not much help.

Cheers All,

I too am looking at this thread closely. I have my LCX 112C for sale and, when it sells, was going to purchase the HDS 10 and the Broadband radar. May just keep the 112 for backup.... :(

Perhaps Dane at Harbour Chandler should sell you your next Lowrance. He seems able to cut through the B.S. and get you back on the water. Their prices are competitive.

Had a problem with my LCX112. Got a bunch of run around and finally after a 2 months I took it back with a full credit and put on Raymarine. The folks at Sherwood marine were great.

Deja vu all over again!!! Remember the ongoing issue with Lowrance gps pucks???? terrible service

I purchased a HDS 10 and after 2 months the nema 2000 network stopped working
I was given a new unit to try before I had sent my old unit back
The service I received could not have been better thanks to Island Outfitters

Ever since Simrad took over or merged with Lowrance the customer service has gone for a crap!

Dad and I just put an HDS-8 with Structure Scan on the boat last month. Before we got this unit, I had been enquiring about the issues and problems that people that use them have had or do have with them. Warranty definately was one of the common complaints from several guys. So we talked to Lowrance directly, and we were assured that they now have new policies and warranty prodcedures in place and that yes there were issues for "some" people in the past and the problems that caused those "issues" have been corrected. We were told to contact Lowrance directly to organize any warranty work to be done.

Having read a few more concerns here on this thread from some guys that did not voice their concerns on the thread that I had going in the Salt Water Forum, I am now still wondering about the warranty/service by Lowrance. Well we are in now, and we will just have to cross that bridge when/if we get to it.

If there is anyone in the Lowrance organization or affiliated with them on these forums, the message needs to get to the CEO/management to open up their eyes and get the Customer Service issues that they have sorted out. If they do not realize this can kill their business, they will soon enough see the results. Customer service is as important if not more important than having a great top notch product. Having a great, or the "best" product on the market may reduce the amount of customer service that you need to do, but it dosen't mean that you don't need to have great or the "best" customer service in the market. When people send a lot of money with any company, they want to know that when things go wrong that they WILL be supported and taken care of.

In forums like this one people will always ask for input and shared experiences on all sorts of different services/products (fish-finders/chartplotters being one of them), and if Lowrance for example is not taking the best care of their equipment users, well these shared experiences can and do scare potential customers away from their products. Not to mention that it reduces the repeat customers that they will get.

Just take a look at the Scotty company to see an example of good custmer service and good product support, it is hard to find someone that has a lot bad to say about them, (sure there may be a few, but they are a FEW).

Cheers All,

Well...I wouldn't be so quick to promote Scotty - at least for the moment! Scotty have decided to stop putting on clinics for their downriggers ... and all work will either be through Victoria or independent stores with techs. I am not sure how this will affect the product and their loyalty as it only takes one trip to the Scotty Clinics to realize how many purchase Scotty products and a lot of it was because of exactly those clinics. My understanding of this is that these techs will not adjust but simply fix warranty issues. A far cry from the Service Clinics.

Sad to see the end of it as it was a highly valued service to the fishing community....

I was told that from now on they will only work on them if they are registered. That was right at Scotty's warehouse a couple weeks ago.

Cheers All,

Well...I wouldn't be so quick to promote Scotty - at least for the moment! Scotty have decided to stop putting on clinics for their downriggers ... and all work will either be through Victoria or independent stores with techs. I am not sure how this will affect the product and their loyalty as it only takes one trip to the Scotty Clinics to realize how many purchase Scotty products and a lot of it was because of exactly those clinics. My understanding of this is that these techs will not adjust but simply fix warranty issues. A far cry from the Service Clinics.

Sad to see the end of it as it was a highly valued service to the fishing community....

Well if this is true, then they will start to see the same issues that it appears Lowrance is / has?? been having with their customer satisfaction and loyalty.

Simply put, Customer Service is KING! It should be the number one priority for any business. Just think of the various businesses that you deal with for all sorts of things. Which are the ones that you enjoy dealing with (the ones that you look forward to the next time that you have to go in to see them)? I'll bet that the ones you enjoy dealing with are the ones with the best cutomer service in the business, (or at least they give you the best customer service).

This is sad news if Scotty has chosen to take the short-cut on customer service.:(
Why change something that has worked so well for so many years??:confused:

Customer loyalty takes years to build, and minutes to destroy.

N.B. Sorry, I was not trying to hijack the thread with the scotty issue, I was only trying to use what was at least at one time a good example of a company that we all know, that gave out great customer service/support. I'll open a thread on the salt water forum for this topic as I do believe that it will take this thread over if we continue here.

Back To LOWRANCE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holmes...Especially is when you fired up the sounder it started acting up by broadcasting Canuck games!!! lol

If anyone is thinking of getting a lowrance unit their rebate is a $500 max per sales slip. Just bought the HDS-10 and Broadband Radar and had the salesman write up the bill on two separate sales slip to get the whole $700 rebate. Will put one in my name and the other in the wife's.

Back