Let’s get positive!!!

Jencourt

Hey everyone: Seems like every few days we get another kick that points to less access for rec fishers. I like the term “public fisheries “that Pat used recently. Anyway I agree fully that we need to engage the masses if we are going to get political leaders to a knowledge the benefits of our public fisheries. And more importantly invest in the resource that gives so much.

That said, I believe we need to have a message that is positive as well. Focus on what it gives not only what is being lost. Both are important.

As part of that effort I am seeking pictures, stories , news “clippings “ data anything highlighting the positive work, donations of time and money, and social benefits that so many give and receive in the name of enhancing, protecting and utilizing our fisheries.

This can be links, copy and pastes, or even pictures of smiling kids , families, volunteering, fishing, viewing, at hatcheries etc. whatever. Pics can be your own experiences. Your kids opening a gift that is tackle, or at the fishing store, absolutely anything showing what we do. Anything you think will enhance a positive perspective-of sport fishing .

Disclosure: anything you send you do so agreeing that it can be used on social media, this forum, in emails to officials or any other public display.

I am going to try and put some of it into my efforts to help engage the public , and sway political attitude.

You can post it here as well email it to me . Just remember only send stuff you are willing to have shared publicly.

raybeeman@hotmail.com

Last edited:
Awesome approach, brilliant idea. Really appreciate you taking the time and effort to get out a positive message about the social and economic value that our public fishery provides Canada. I've recently attended as guest speaker at Port Renfrew Chamber, going to Ucluelet Feb 21, and May for Parksville Qualicum Chamber. The topic is to highlight the social and economic benefits of the Public Fishery, so anything you are able to collect from folks and put out on social media would be potential material to include in those presentations going forward.

Hey everyone: Seems like every few days we get another kick that points to less access for rec fishers. I like the term “public fisheries “that Pat used recently. Anyway I agree fully that we need to engage the masses if we are going to get political leaders to a knowledge the benefits of our public fisheries. And more importantly invest in the resource that gives so much.

That said, I believe we need to have a message that is positive as well. Focus on what it gives not only what is being lost. Both are important.

As part of that effort I am seeking pictures, stories , news “clippings “ data anything highlighting the positive work, donations of time and money, and social benefits that so many give and receive in the name of enhancing, protecting and utilizing our fisheries.

This can be links, copy and pastes, or even pictures of smiling kids , families, volunteering, fishing, viewing, at hatcheries etc. whatever. Pics can be your own experiences. Your kids opening a gift that is tackle, or at the fishing store, absolutely anything showing what we do. Anything you think will enhance a positive perspective-of sport fishing .

Disclosure: anything you send you do so agreeing that it can be used on social media, this forum, in emails to officials or any other public display.

I am going to try and put some of it into my efforts to help engage the public , and sway political attitude.

You can post it here as well email it to me . Just remember only send stuff you are willing to have shared publicly.

raybeeman@hotmail.com

I like the move away from terms like Sport Fisher and Recreational Fisher, those handles will never garner much sympathy from the non fishing public and have always seemed to me to make fishing seem somewhat frivolous. I believe though you hit the nail on the head using “public fishery”, perhaps even “General public’s fishery” would drive home to the public, its their access that’s being stripped away for special interest groups. People tend to take more interest in things that do or could impact them!

I like the move away from terms like Sport Fisher and Recreational Fisher, those handles will never garner much sympathy from the non fishing public and have always seemed to me to make fishing seem somewhat frivolous. I believe though you hit the nail on the head using “public fishery”, perhaps even “General public’s fishery” would drive home to the public, its their access that’s being stripped away for special interest groups. People tend to take more interest in things that do or could impact them!

Brilliant Idea Ziggy

This is the letter I wrote. I think it touches on kinda what your thinking? I agree that I think the general public’s view of sportfishing is a bunch of rich white guys off on a boys retreat. I like your idea of getting the the point across a little differently

Hi Jeff,

I’m writing in regards to the proposed fishing restrictions for the 2019 sport fishery in BC. I would like to express how important a sport fishing opportunity is for my friends, family, the province British Columbia and the entire country. Salmon fishing is a way of life for many in British Columbia and beyond, going with proposed option A would destroy many coastal communities and a past time that is important for so many Canadians. Option A would be devastating for fishing lodges, small charter companies, tackle retailers, marine supply industry, boat dealers and repair shops, fuel docks, marinas, sea plane companies, hotels and much of the coastal bc economy that all depend on salmon fishing. I can tell you that on a more personal level, that for my family sport fishing is a way of life and a real passion for the whole family. My wife and I love fishing together, it is a great sport that both women and men can enjoy equally, we have a 7 year old boy who has grown up fishing for salmon his entire life. salmon fishing is a great family activity that is a real passion and way of life that also helps feed my family as well as many of my friends. We have personally invested all of our disposable income over the years to salmon fishing, hundreds of thousands. We would travel from Whistler to Vancouver every weekend, get in our boat 60000k, which we pay 3000k to moore at a marina, fuel up at the gas dock often 300 dollars, and then spend the weekend camping and fishing all around the southern straight. Often we stay at other nearby marinas spending money at restaurants and supporting other economies This doesn’t included the big trips toVancouver Island in which we ferry our boat over. All of this we often share with family who fly in from other parts of the country to enjoy, and the neighbours and friends who may not otherwise get a chance to enjoy salmon. My point is a lot of money gets invested though sport fishing , but thats not the important part, its the way of life that we get out of it thats priceless. Taking away salmon fishing opportunities from us just doesn’t seem right. Its especially hard to accept when other certain groups will still be entitled to catch salmon. There are obviously a lot of opinion as to whats happening with salmon stocks, the southern orca and ocean conditions, but will stopping or restricting salmon fishing in the ocean have an impact when we continue to net the same fish in the rivers. Why should one group still have opportunities when my boy who’s spent his entire life fishing for salmon have his opportunity taken away. I don’t think any group should have their salmon opportunity taken away, but rather better management for all, in this case Option B for sport fishing would be a good start. Sport fishing allows any resident to purchase an affordable license and have an opportunity to catch a salmon and feed their family, this should be the last sector to get cut back to zero opportunities.

I would like to thank you for your time and hope that you understand what sport fishing means for my family, its not just a past time for well off old white men, it’s a real passion and way of life for many Canadians and beyond.
Please at the very least do what youcan to ensure Canadians still have opportunities for salmon fishing in BC.

Back