Juan De Fuca Fishing Tournament

Here is a link to a Facebook page set up to follow the Sooke Chinook Sea Pen ....there are pics of the pen being towed over to its new location and then on site and secured. We now have to install the railings and net. The fish are coming down on Monday and Tuesday in two trips.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=sooke chinook seapen project

We are happy to have both Albrite Lighting and Adrena Zipline back as sponsors in 2017. Adrena Line gave us a pair of adult passes and Albrite Lighting donated 3 metal halide wall pack light units.

This week I've had a surge in interest from businesses who would like to sponsor the event as a result of the Sooke Chinook Sea Pen being installed and the fish delivered. It makes a huge difference to actually see the project rather than to just hear about it. I hope this will help us reach our goal of $150,000.00 in prize handouts for this years event!

Islander confirmed they will be back again this year and are once again donating a MR-3 Reel. I will match that with a donated rod to make it a nice prize package for some lucky winner. Pacific Net & Twine are in for the first time and have generously donated a set of Grunden Rain/weather Boss Gear with a value of $400.00. Home Hardware in Sidney is once again one of our higher level sponsors with a very generous cash donation. When I was in the store last week to collect tickets from them I noticed they had a sale on Islander Reels. They were $100 off the normal price and it was being done to support the Sidney Anglers derby. I bought a MR-2 LA with some of the money they donated and it will also be added to the prize pool. A big thank you to these great companies for their help and support!

Last edited:
We now have a great prize package as Comnav in Vancouver has donated one of their 1420 Pilots to our prize board. This is a true pilot that is designed to control your main helm and any other engines connected to it. (hydraulically or tie bar) This pilot sells for over $2,000.00.

A new first time sponsor for this tournament has added some very nice prizes to our prize table. Vector Yacht Services Ltd in Sidney has really stepped up and is supporting SVIAC and this tournament big time. They are donating a Mercury PVC roll up dingy with a retail of $1350.00, plus a 2.5 HP Mercury 4 stroke outboard that retails for $1068.00 and if that wasn't enough they are adding a 2.5 HP Suzuki 4 stroke outboard and they weren't done there they also threw in a assorted basket of marine goodies worth another $350.00 Bradley Smoker is back with us again this year with a 4 tray digital smoker, Harbour Air has confirmed a Canuck Game Prize package with return air between Victoria and Vancouver and game tickets for 2 persons. SVIAC will make sure there is a hotel room downtown near the game thrown in to complete the package. Crest Sheet Metal will be fabbing up a custom aluminum fish box which everyone can use. With these most recent confirmed sponsorships we now have 4 outboards on the table for those lucky winners.

Pedder Bay RV Resort & Marina has been added as a retail vendor and now has a supply of tournament tickets. Cash only.

We want to welcome Big O Tires Westshore as a new sponsor to the 2017 tournament. Don at Big O Tires is supporting our Sooke Net Pen Project with a donation of a $1,000.00 voucher for either new tires or mechanical repairs! I have also just confirmed that Marty's Mountain Cycle and Prancing Horse Autobody & Paint will be teaming up with Brodie Bikes to sponsor an awesome prize for our junior winnner. (under 16 years) The junior prize this year is a Brodie Hole Shot Bike worth $2,000.00!!! Prancing Horse Auto Body and Paint is also donating auto paint or body work to a value of $2500.00!! How many of us have a vehicle that could use a new paint job? Me!! Oak Bay Marine Group is sponsoring our 2nd place prize and we are calling it the "Man Cave package" It is a 55" Samsung LED Smart TV, Yamaha surround system that includes receiver, speakers with sub, turntable, cabinet and more. Our 2017 prize list will be updated on the tournament website in the coming days.
Just a reminder that we have a deadline coming up on July 10th. Only those who buy their tickets before that date will receive a free tournament t-shirt. Our pub night is on Thursday July 27th at Heckler's Bar & Grille on Gorge Rd. (The old Sherwood for those old enough to remember) There you can pick up all tournament tickets that were purchased online, receive your t-shirt & hat, rule/prize booklet, enter the team jackpots and or the accumulator jackpot. Tournament tickets and extra banquet meal tickets will also be available on the pub night.
Tickets are also being sold at Island Outfitters, Alpine Marine, Pedder Bay RV Resort & Marina, Home Hardware Sidney, Trotac Marine and Eagle Eye in Sooke.

Just to add to the above post; our prize for the Lady who lands the largest salmon gets a one night stay at the Sooke Harbour House Hotel with dinner for 2, a 1 hour in room Swedish massage and a 6 hour fishing charter with myself (Sooke Salmon Charters Ltd) value is approx $1300.00

Honestly I think a lot of it has much to do with being born and raised here and having been in the industry so long. I know which businesses have an owner with a fishing habit. Don at Big O Tires was in a group of friends I hung around with just out of high school. Funny because I went to Reynolds and new nobody from Mt Doug until I started working. Then all my friends for a number of years were a group of guys from Mt Doug. My Fire Extinguisher business has me in may local stores once a year or more and after 20 plus years I've had the opportunity to chat with these people about the sport fishery and some of the projects I'm involved with. You can tell when someone is interested and who might like to help out. I have one client who makes custom jewelry in town and she loves fly fishing. She has indicated that she wants to do something very special for us in 2018 to support our killer whale feeding efforts. I sense a very nice prize for the ladies champion in 2018.

Just a heads up for those of you buying multiple tickets online. Please include the name, phone, email, shirt size and yes or no to attending the banquet for yourself plus your buddies or family members you are buying tickets for. This saves me having to call you for this information. Thanks

Here is the 2017 list of top prizes for the larger fish entered. This is taken from the tournament website. (www.jdfderby.ca) This represents 50% of the prize value on the prize table. The other 50% are given away for simply entering any size salmon (over 5 pounds) and then having your name drawn. One draw ticket is given for each fish entered.

PRIZES
TOP 11 PRIZES

1st – $20,000.00 Cash
Courtesy of South Vancouver Island Anglers Coalition

2nd – “The Man Cave Package”
Samsung 55″ LED Smart TV, Yamaha Receiver and Surround Sound Package, Turntable and Complete System Cabinet
Courtesy Oak Bay Marine Group & Atlas Audio Video Unlimited
Value $5000.00

3rd – “Lowrance Electronics Package”

More details to be announced
Value TBA

4th – “Dinghy Package”

Mercury Marine PVC Roll Up Inflatable & 2.5 H.P. Mercury 4-Stroke Outboard
Courtesy of Vector Yacht Services Ltd.
Value $3,000.00

5th – “First Mate Package”

Com Nav 1420 Auto Pilot – Courtesy of Com Nav Marine Ltd
Value $2,800.00

6th – “The Navigator Package”

Complete Seastar Hydraulic Steering System (universal single outboard) – Courtesy of Seastar Solutions
Value $2,250.00

7th – “The Barn Door Package”

Complete Anchor System, Halibut Rod & Reel and Assorted Halibut Fishing Gear – Courtesy of Trotac Marine
Value $2,000.00

8th – “Pass The Pump Package”

$500 Peninsula Co-op Gas Card & Islander MR-3 Mooching Reel & Fenwick HMX Rod
Courtesy of Peninsula Co-op, Islander & Cheanuh Marina
Value $1,300.00

9th – The Balls Deep Package”

Two Scotty Electric Downriggers – Courtesy of Scotty
Value $1,200.00

10th – “The Traction Package”

$1,000.00 Voucher Towards New Tires or Mechanical Repairs – Courtesy of Big O Tires Westshore
Value $1,000.00

11th – “The Tight Lines Package”

Coast DR-1 Mooching Reel, Fenwick HMX Rod – Courtesy of Coast Reels & Intercon Marine
Value $850.00

The “I Just Missed” Prize

Zeiss 10X42 Binoculars – Courtesy of Campus Auto Group
Value $700.00
Other Prizes
Largest Hatchery Chinook
9.9 Yamaha High Thrust 4 Stroke Outboard With Electric Start & Power Trim
Courtesy Of Sherwood Marine and Yamaha
Value $4,000.00

Largest Chinook By A Junior (under 16 years)

“Cool Ride Package” – Brodie Hole Shot Mountain Bike
Courtesy Of Marty’s Mountain Cycle, Prancing Horse Autobody & Paint, and Brodie Bikes
Value $2,000.00

Largest Halibut

Shockwave Seat System – Courtesy of Shockwave
Value TBA

Largest Salmon By A Lady – “The Get Away Package”

One Night Stay at The Sooke Harbour House Hotel, Dinner For Two, 6 Hour Fishing Charter and 1 Hour Swedish Massage For Her
Courtesy of Sooke Harbour House, Sooke Salmon Charters Ltd & Road’s End Contracting
Value $1,275.00

Accumulator Exact Weight Jackpot ($20.00 per person to enter - pot builds and winner takes all)
$1000.00 Courtesy of SVIAC

Team Jackpots
$100 tickets: TBA
$250 tickets: TBA
$500 tickets: TBA
$1000 tickets: 0

Sooke Food Bank Draw Prize

Bradley Jim Bean Digital Smoker – Courtesy of Bradley Smoker

Value $550.00

We are seeing a number of tickets being sold to our friends south of the border this year. Some of the folks from the Bellingham Chapter of the Puget Sound Anglers. We may have to look at having a cross border challenge in the future.

That is an absolutely amazing prize spread! I don't think there has ever been a fishing derby in BC that even remotely came close to this. I am stunned, Rollie!

Thanks Christoph...tickets are selling briskly too so the work I've done will pay off with a nice donation towards next years 500,000 Chinook in the SVIAC Sea Pen.

One of the jobs I need to finish is getting the perpetual trophies returned to us. I'm hoping that someone here can help me. I have all the trophies back except our junior winners trophy. Last years junior winner must have been fishing on a sponsor ticket as we have no contact info for him. I'm hoping someone knows how I can get in touch with Teegan Harding or know is fathers first name which would hep my search. Thanks for any help.

I picked up the 2017 Tournament Hats today from Out Of The Blue Designs...here it is.

Attachments

• hat.JPG
    hat.JPG
    187.3 KB · Views: 47
  • hat2.JPG
    hat2.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 44
A big thank you to Hot Spot Lures, Dura Baits, AP Tackle Works, Krippled Lures and Luhr-Jensen Lures for their generous tackle donations to the Oak Bay Marine Group Juan De Fuca Fishing Tournament. This custom made aluminum fish box that was made and donated by Crest Sheet Metal is full of tackle grab bags that will be awarded to those who register a catch and are drawn in the fish draws. The tournament organizers want to send as many of those participants home with something as a reward for their support of the tournament and the Sooke Chinook Sea Pen project the tournament supports. These generous sponsors are helping us to do just that!!

Attachments

• tacklephoto.JPG
    tacklephoto.JPG
    272.3 KB · Views: 38
Back